Ryan Reynolds Releases First Official Deadpool Picture

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
They've nailed the suit. So at least there's that.

Now it remains to be seen if they can nail the writing. If the final film ends up even have as fun as that test trailer, I'm sold.

Don't fuck this up, Reynolds. We, and you, don't need another Green Lantern.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
I am not convinced that a live-action true-to-spirit deadpool won't get old over the runtime of a move... at least not without some kind of lame padding.

They just can't win in my books; And that is assuming the writing and acting is both impeccable.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
For those who don't get the reference look up 'Burt Reynolds Bear Rug'. Kind of clever considering the last names and such.

That being said, I hated deadpool all the way back in the 90's then again when they made him 'lol randomz.' You could say I'm a disliking deadpool hipster.

Jan 12, 2012
This comment section

I never really liked Deadpool, but I never really read any of his own comics. Ryan Reynolds is a pretty solid actor, and they've already made a talking tree and a raccoon with a rocket launcher interesting, so Marvel seems to have "weird shit that shouldn't work in live action movies" pretty well down. I'm not on the hype train, but I'll wave to the conductor as he goes past while I wait for the actual movie.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Thunderous Cacophony said:
This comment section

I never really liked Deadpool, but I never really read any of his own comics. Ryan Reynolds is a pretty solid actor, and they've already made a talking tree and a raccoon with a rocket launcher interesting, so Marvel seems to have "weird shit that shouldn't work in live action movies" pretty well down. I'm not on the hype train, but I'll wave to the conductor as he goes past while I wait for the actual movie.
But this isn't marvel, it's fox.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
Arqus_Zed said:
raankh said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Well, they got the look right, but... Part of the Deadpool charm are his great facial expressions - coming through his mask!

Eyes that change in size, visible movement of the lips, I don't see how you could do that in live-action (or at least: without live-action and horrible CGI).

That said, I'll forgive many things as long as the movie can deliver on one single front: fun.
I'm not generally interested in the movies, but I am a long time Marvel reader; I can't imagine Deadpool would make for a good film, unless they went all CGI and animation. Now, that I would watch.

It bothers me that Marvel/Disney are so afraid of broadening the scope of their animation work. It especially doesn't make sense with Disney in the mix. It's not like they don't know animation!

What I want is an animated big-budget feature Marvel film-- I'm pretty sure it would blow all the bluescreen and photorealistic CGI to kingdom come and back.
You mean, like, Big Hero 6?

I was thinking more like one of the space-opera arcs from one Marvel comic or another as an animated feature, rather than actual Disney stuff.

But sure, Big Hero is something of the sort; although it feels more like leaning towards anime.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Biggest concern for me is FOX, i have not enjoyed any of the FOX made super hero films after xmen 2 and by the standards set today that film is kinda bad.

Still i'll reserve judgement untill atleast a trailer comes round.

The suit looks comic accurate which although to me is less important, it is however a good sign the people behind this movie have atleast looked at a deadpool comic, even if it was just the front cover. I've never had a problem with reynolds acting the guy is actualy pretty good with a decent range, but realy the script has got to be realy good for this sort of movie to work, even the best actor's need good dialogue.

The bear rug and pose an obvious parody as already mentioned above, but it does nicley capture deadpool's innate silliness which again im taking as credit that the people involved have atleast glanced at the source materiel.

A Film like this is gonna live or die on the writing alone i think, but the character and setting atleast has some potential, a martial arts and gunplay action comedy with self referential humour, with a self aware protagonist who revels in the absurdity of his own nature, actions and circumstances.

Yeah like i said the writing needs to be amazing, FOX don't fuck this one up and you might gain me back as a customer.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
What I want to say: Deadpool is an uninteresting franchise brought about by a talentless hack using humour that could only appeal and is written by the lowest common denominator.

What I am saying: show us ur butt

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
So he looks like Deadpool. I would snark at how obvious this reveal is, but it's actually the first for Fox to have an X-men character other than Magneto look like a bloody X-men character.