Ryse: Son of Rome is going PC

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Oh dear me, is selling your game to one third of the market prooving to be detrimental to your income? Oh well, at least you are lucky enough to have been picked up by clueless microsoft, so you can just run away to the PC. Only 90%~ of PC gamers HATE QTE driven linear bullshit console games. Oh well, better luck next time.

In all honesty I can see why console makers want exclusive games. If all games apeared on all platforms at the same time, fucking NO ONE would even touch a console, because a PC could play the games AND a shit ton of other stuff. So consoles have 2 choices: either offer extra utility (and become shit castrated PCs) or exclusives.

But while I get console makers, I will never for the life of me understand the braindead devs who agree to this. Yeah, I'll spend years and a shit ton of cash to make a game that I will on purpose sell to a limited section of the market, thus refusing my game the chance to atract as many players as it posibly could and refuse myself profits. I are smart. ANd yeah, I know making games for consoles is easier because of the fixed hardware, but honestly devs: just make a PC version and then proceed to castrate the graphics or whatever so it can run on consoles. Oh right, but then why would anyone buy the console version.

And I know I will get console fanboys jumping up my rear for what I just wrote (and what I will write here) but let's face it: CONSOLE GAMES ARE INFERIOR TO PC GAMES IN ALL ASPECTS. And this isn't me beeing a PC-master race. This is what I have seen with years of gaming behind me. I've owned from an NES to a PS 2 and XBOX almost all major consoles at some point in my life (and beyond those I have a friend that allowed me to play the major exclusives of both PS3 and 360, and right now I own a WiiU) and frankly the writting was on the wall years ago. PC hardware will just trump consoles all the time, and with better hardware come greater resources that a game can exploit. With greater resources, devs have greater freedom in what they can create and we can get to see some trully amazing games. Instead we are bogged down in obsolete hardware, castrated multi-platform games and a console war that has no purpose in existing. The only console that has a reason to exist right now is the WiiU because of the unique library of games (also hooray for backwards compatibility) and method of control.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Now I just need Killer Instinct (possibly impossible because first party), Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound, and maybe Crimson Dragon, and I'll have no reason to get an Xbone as of current.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Ah nice, good to see a Rome-themed CGI action movie, though I'm not sure why anyone would make a film platform exclusive in the first place... What was that? It's actually a game?... Are you sure? Doesn't look like one...

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
delta4062 said:
Elvis Starburst said:
delta4062 said:
Well this good news for me. Ryse was one of the few Xbone games I actually wanted.
Too bad it seems to be negatively panned as shit. I dunno if I recommend going for it anyways. It'll probably have a $60 price tag. For what I've seen... $60 for *that* is not worth it. Might wanna look into some reviews or videos. If you have and am still wanting it... Ok? Can't stop ya

OT: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Sunset Overdrive PLEEEEAAASE!!!
I doubt I could run it on my current PC, but I'll definitely pick it up when I upgrade. It looks like a fun hack and slash game set in a time period I adore. That's enough for me.

It's a shame people are panning it like it's an absolute abomination, some from people who have openly said they've never played it.
I think the problem is that it's a very limiting and simplistic QTE driven Hack'n Slash game where you don't really get a lot of freedom as you would usually do in games like this. It's a game that was developed with kinect in mind and later converted into a "normal" game, but limited by the original design. It mostly exist to showcase next gen graphics.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So a shit game is getting ported to the PC. Well, I feel sorry for any of the poor sods who actually wanted it. Ryse sold poorly and they're trying to recuperate their losses before they run out of money.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
delta4062 said:
Elvis Starburst said:
delta4062 said:
Well this good news for me. Ryse was one of the few Xbone games I actually wanted.
Too bad it seems to be negatively panned as shit. I dunno if I recommend going for it anyways. It'll probably have a $60 price tag. For what I've seen... $60 for *that* is not worth it. Might wanna look into some reviews or videos. If you have and am still wanting it... Ok? Can't stop ya

OT: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Sunset Overdrive PLEEEEAAASE!!!
I doubt I could run it on my current PC, but I'll definitely pick it up when I upgrade. It looks like a fun hack and slash game set in a time period I adore. That's enough for me.

It's a shame people are panning it like it's an absolute abomination, some from people who have openly said they've never played it.
Yeah, speaking as someone who HAS played it, it's actually quite fun. Mindless, but quite fun. Extremely pretty too, so it'll look fantastic on PC. I'd recommend it when it for about £10-£20, a solid 7/10 popcorn game.

Funny watching people who've quite clearly never played the game give their opinions on it though.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
I'll pick it up when it's $10. "it wooks pwetty" doesn't work on PCs when ENB exists.

"Fuckface A" for the protagonist means it will be a 2 hour game instead of 100+.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ryse has to be the biggest commercial flop of launch titles. The fact that theyre bringing it to PC reeks of desperation on Cryteks part.

As for Scalebound, much as it pains me (and everyone in earshot) to admit it, Platinum simply does not have a good sales record, even on thier multiplatform games. So i cant imagine thier plan for Scalebound is anything other than timed exclusive unless Microsoft either owns the IP, or is shouldering the majority of the development cost to keep it XB1 exclusive.

Also lets all look forward to the next Titanfall not ignoring the PS4.

andago

Jan 24, 2012
Romanes eunt domus!

Charcharo said:
[Looks at comments]
Gee, I did not know so many people can be so stunbornly judgemental on the subjectivity of game quality.

Ryse is at LEAST better then Bioshock Infinite. Now that is a poor game.
Erm. Ok. Wait, am i just failing to detect the irony or was that serious? And i'm not talking about the content of the statement, more of the nature.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Charcharo said:
[Looks at comments]
Gee, I did not know so many people can be so stunbornly judgemental on the subjectivity of game quality.

Did you just pop out of a spacial anomaly from the silly dimension? Monolith save us, I must have taken crazy pills as I cannot believe what I just read.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Charcharo said:
[Looks at comments]

That was meant as a joke, right?

andago

Jan 24, 2012
Charcharo said:
Strelok said:
Charcharo said:
[Looks at comments]

Did you just pop out of a spacial anomaly from the silly dimension? Monolith save us, I must have taken crazy pills as I cannot believe what I just read.
I come from Limansk 13, spend the entire day combating mercs mate!

andago said:
Romanes eunt domus!

Charcharo said:
[Looks at comments]

Erm. Ok. Wait, am i just failing to detect the irony or was that serious? And i'm not talking about the content of the statement, more of the nature.
You both heard right though. I am just annoyed at the way Escapists here assault games and treat game quality as FACT. It is not.
This seems to also for some reason happens more to games that are known to push tech/made by studios that puch tech.
If I had a quarter for every time someone here called a game like Crysis 1 shallow or poor on gameplay... (if that is a game with bad gameplay, then there is no game with good gameplay)

And I am just stating MY opinion. I had a decent amount of fun from Ryse. Nothing too special, but wont dare diss on it as shit/poor/pathetic as some people.
Bioshock Infinite was a mediocre game IMO, at best.

So for me Ryse >> Infinte. Simple as that.
No, I getcha. I havn't played Ryse so I can't really talk about whether it's fun or not, it was more the calling out the subjectivity of game quality followed by saying something was a poor game gave mixed messages.

Anyway, I've frequently enjoyed games before that people have told me were bad before. On the subject though, should it be necessary to qualify everything by saying that it is your opinion. I mean, these things are subjective, so how could it not be your opinion? Does it really matter whether or not they believe it's a set-in-stone fact, because it doesn't really change that it's not?

EDIT: Or maybe that's just my opinion. Falling down a subjective whole yohere, which might not be that deep I guess, depends on how you look at it :)

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Pfft, you're all looking at this wrong - If Ryse arrives on the PC, we can mod it into something playable! Get rid of the linear path and make it into an open world (the only thing that was really going for it), fix the mechanics so that they're not so QTE-driven and instead flex to what the user wants to do, and then remove the whole "Britons Barbarians and their many clones" ordeal that only hurt the game more.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I really hope this means Sunset Overdrive will come over to PC. I may not think it looks good enough to be a system seller, but it looks fun enough to pick up in a Steam sale.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I really hope this means Sunset Overdrive will come over to PC. I may not think it looks good enough to be a system seller, but it looks fun enough to pick up in a Steam sale.
So you don't want to support Insomniac/MS (MS helped fund them since SOny wanted to keep the IP all for themselves) while at the same time for just a fiver?, doesn't sound really supportive at all, I mean if you'll pay big for anything in the future or the past why not for Sunset Overdrive since you're showing interest and overall kneen to get if it ever decided to come to PC?.

ALso when has Insomniac ported to PC frequently if at all, I know Ryse is coming to PC but somehow that doesn't automatically make it a fact every single XB1 game is just gonna jump to PC all within a year if at all, but fair enough for people who are somehow allowed to make such an assumption that for anything else would be berated for.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
It looked like shit when it was announced, and to no one's surprise, it turned out to be shit when it was released. As expected, nobody bought it. And then there's the fact that barely anyone bought the Xbone. Again, as expected. Which makes Crytek look completely fuckin' clueless again. They are really good at making terrible business decisions. And they think this will save them? The game is abysmal. They shouldn't waste more resources on porting crap. Make something good if you can. If not, go bankrupt. You deserve it.
This mess again? Seriously? So, its a "fact" that "barely anyone bought" the Xbox One? You know, if you honestly believe that statement, then reason will not find its way to you, no matter how much I try to get it to knock at your door. I think I just need to stop reading any comments on this site that could remotely involve the Xbox One, because silly comments like this are just becoming extremely draining.