"[Ryval] Wants To Gamify Suing People Using Crypto Tokens" - Vice

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

Brings up some good points, but also pisses me off a little bit. Jim complains about people using their likeness to sell NFTs without their permission. Okay. Good. Great.
Jim sells unlicensed Pokemon merchandise on their webstore. Kinda hard to stand on both those hills Jim. Is taking someone else's content and selling it only bad when Jim doesn't get a cut of the profits? At long last is Jim just a "Fuck you, got mine" capitalist?

Also the fashion. No Jim, bad! No more dressing up like the old secretary from Monsters Inc.!
Two arguments I would make are:
1: Transformative works.
2: From a moral perspective as opposed to a legal one they can be viewed differently. The artist who created Gengar, gets no benefit whether it's a Jimporium shirt or a Nintendo shirt... So like fuck Nintendo. I don't think Sterling would release unlicensed merch of artist owned properties.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I mean unlicensed is unlicensed. And its a tangible product. I'd say making an NFT, a nothing scam, is less bad than actually selling physical merchandise.
Taking money out of the equation, I'd be much more worried that a person's actual likeness is being used without their permission rather than some internet person filching JPEGs to use on a button pin. Especially when said likeness might come from someone who is dead.

That said, the heck is Sterling doing selling Pokemon pins? I didn't even think they were that big of a fan. And frankly, I'd be surprised if anyone would be interested in half the items they've listed on their website.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I mean unlicensed is unlicensed. And its a tangible product. I'd say making an NFT, a nothing scam, is less bad than actually selling physical merchandise.
I would say what Jim has is along the lines of selling fan merch at a con. Technically illegal, but small enough scale that almost no company would care enough to pursue it, partially since it would cost a lot for very little gain, and partially since you get fan backlash for going after small creators. But, that is also assuming that he didn't get a license for them. Jim is a contentious figure, if someone wanted to hit them then I can bet they would report something like that to Nintendo in hopes it would get him in trouble.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Two arguments I would make are:
1: Transformative works.
2: From a moral perspective as opposed to a legal one they can be viewed differently. The artist who created Gengar, gets no benefit whether it's a Jimporium shirt or a Nintendo shirt... So like fuck Nintendo. I don't think Sterling would release unlicensed merch of artist owned properties.
Uh...transformative works only apply to copyright strikes, not unlicensed merchandise. And even then, this is original because its not actually using EA's name, just a similar font: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/5570/0591/products/ButtonEABlack_360x.jpg?v=1625939832

This: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-4D62-ADE7-1AF7FCFA9F60_360x.jpg?v=1636471735

is straight up called an Ekans Button. Ekans is a trademarked name, and the name of the artist who made this drawing is DrawAllThePokemon.

Morally speaking is kinda irrelevant as people don't have to share the same morals. Jim, by definition, is profiting off of someone else's design, owned by a different company, and without the legal permission to do so. I'm not seeing much difference legally in that and making a Jim NFT.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Uh...transformative works only apply to copyright strikes, not unlicensed merchandise. And even then, this is original because its not actually using EA's name, just a similar font: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/5570/0591/products/ButtonEABlack_360x.jpg?v=1625939832

This: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-4D62-ADE7-1AF7FCFA9F60_360x.jpg?v=1636471735

is straight up called an Ekans Button. Ekans is a trademarked name, and the name of the artist who made this drawing is DrawAllThePokemon.
Pretty sure I mentioned this last time, but I am assuming there must be some kind of loophole for transformative works for merchandise in order for companies like QWERTEE to get away with it.

Did they get DrawAllThePokemon's permission? If they didn't then yeah, fuck that. But I know the other pokemon merch they had permission from the artist to use. So I am assuming it's the same story here.

As for trademark, again. Don't care, the artist doesn't benefit from the trademark. Only a billion dollar corporation that ha dno creative input benefits from it.

Morally speaking is kinda irrelevant as people don't have to share the same morals. Jim, by definition, is profiting off of someone else's design, owned by a different company, and without the legal permission to do so. I'm not seeing much difference legally in that and making a Jim NFT.
Again it might not be legally different. But laws aren't necessarily right or just. If you want to say they are wrong for doing it, then that's your perspective, if you want to frame it as some kind of hypocrisy on their part then I'd have to disagree. I imagine Jim's issue with the NFT thing is farore based on morality than legality so the difference is your issue, not theirs.
For example selling weed and heroinare both illegal. I am completely okay with people selling weed. I think heroine dealers are vultures and would support kneecapping them.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So... was investing in Law Firms too boring for them? Might as well bet on the lawsuits' outcomes in Las Vegas...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Again it might not be legally different. But laws aren't necessarily right or just. If you want to say they are wrong for doing it, then that's your perspective, if you want to frame it as some kind of hypocrisy on their part then I'd have to disagree. I imagine Jim's issue with the NFT thing is farore based on morality than legality so the difference is your issue, not theirs.
For example selling weed and heroinare both illegal. I am completely okay with people selling weed. I think heroine dealers are vultures and would support kneecapping them.
How many morally good actions require a legal technicality to earn money?
Just saying, if there is a legal technicality to allow Jim to sell Pokemon merch, OR their production is so small its not worth enforcing the laws, that doesn't sound very moral. In fact that sounds like disregarding ones morals about stealing to make money.
To use your drug analogy, Jim is selling weed, NFT are hardcore drugs, and Jim openly and loudly saying drug dealers are bad, and drugs hurt people, now please give me money for drugs.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm not sure I follow how this will work. The public is not entitled to know all the details of a lawsuit. Confidential discussions, backroom deals, sealed documents. The whole court room part is a show, everything is decided behind the scenes
Its like gambling on a sporting event where you only get to watch a few instant replays of a 1 hour game.
It depends. Settlements are decided behind the scenes, but everything else is in the court records, and all court documents are a matter of public record (unless a legislative provision or court order restricts public access).

Reactions: Cheetodust

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So... was investing in Law Firms too boring for them? Might as well bet on the lawsuits' outcomes in Las Vegas...
Just wait till lawyers start betting against themselves and throwing the case. Or witnesses, or...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Just wait till lawyers start betting against themselves and throwing the case. Or witnesses, or...
That's called "conflict of interests" and it already exist (which have them thrown out of the case at best and disbarred at worst)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014

Brings up some good points, but also pisses me off a little bit. Jim complains about people using their likeness to sell NFTs without their permission. Okay. Good. Great.
Jim sells unlicensed Pokemon merchandise on their webstore. Kinda hard to stand on both those hills Jim. Is taking someone else's content and selling it only bad when Jim doesn't get a cut of the profits? At long last is Jim just a "Fuck you, got mine" capitalist?

Also the fashion. No Jim, bad! No more dressing up like the old secretary from Monsters Inc.!
If that merchandise is actually unlicensed, you can bet Nintendo will hit with a cease and desist; because Nintendo does that all the time (from influencers using Pokemon in their Internet avatars to fans throwing Pokemon-themed parties). So far, nothing...

Reactions: MrCalavera

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
How many morally good actions require a legal technicality to earn money?
I mean to stay on topic, perfectly legal weed dispenseries were constantly being raided by police.

Then there's been illegal strike interventions trying to prevent striking workers from using legal means to fight for higher wages and better conditions. In ireland it was illegal to sell contraceptives up until the 80's without a prescription so people would travel to the North.

If you don't believe perfeclty moral acts have had to skirt or entirely operate outside of the law then you have a frankly naive view of how fair the world is.

Just saying, if there is a legal technicality to allow Jim to sell Pokemon merch, OR their production is so small its not worth enforcing the laws, that doesn't sound very moral.
Doesn't really sound immoral either, divorced of context.

In fact that sounds like disregarding ones morals about stealing to make money.
Again, it's only disregarding their morals about stealing if you assume they have the same morals on ownership as you.

To use your drug analogy, Jim is selling weed, NFT are hardcore drugs, and Jim openly and loudly saying drug dealers are bad, and drugs hurt people, now please give me money for drugs.
Again,only if you strip away context and nuance from the situation. It would be more like Jim is selling weed and NFT's are hardcore drugs and Jim is saying selling hardcore drugs is bad. Context matters.

Once again, I'm not even arguing whether Jim is right or wrong to sell that merch. What I'm arguing against is you trying to paint them as a hypocrite when that only works if they view the concept of ownership the same way you do. Right or wrong is irrelevant here, all that we're arguing is that there IS a moral consistency in what Jim says and what they do.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
True, thought I don't think this will help.
Like a president funnelling money into his own businesses is also a conflict of interest. Or congressmen owning stocks is also a conflict of interest. Or government advisors going on to get lobbying jobs in the private sector and vice versa is a conflict of interest.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

-Streamer says that if he creates a crypto he'll cash out leaving everyone else holding the bag.

-Creates crypto

-Cashes out leaving everyone else holding the bag

Crypto bros are just the dumbest people.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I wouldn't do it, but I am interested to see how this project goes. Maybe I could use the aggregation theory to see who would win a lawsuit.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
So wealthy scumbags have found a new way to fuck poor people out of their money. Color me surprised.

The problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of other people's money to steal.