Sad songs that you find positive (aka MUSIC THREAD)

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
This week my life has suddenly taken a pretty amazing upswing, and I am just so happy. Myself and those around me are all growing, a lot of my friends have begun their dream careers at the same time (Thanks NHS Nursing degree), the juniors I coach in sport have grown both physically (kids grow scary fast. One of the girls is now 6'4") and emotionally, with one lad who was often tearful after making an error appearing more stable. I just found out I got a first in my degree and I have more time for self care. Admittedly, my financial situation is dire, and I have no love live to speak of, but I'm now able to accept that these will be resolved in time, and my happiness is taking centre stage.

So, what does this have to do with the thread? Well, I used to listen to Jess Glynne's "take me home" and heard it in a negative light, despite the positives taken from it. Instead of looking at the theme of Jess or the writer rebuilding themselves with the help of others I looked more at the destruction. Now, I smile because I see how I have gone through stressful and turbulent times, and now I feel "home" thanks to my own actions with the support of those around me. It's like being able to let out a breath I've been holding in for years.

Oddly emotional rant over, here's the song:

What is a sad song that you find positive?​

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I kinda find all sad songs positive, because it's nice to have a song that resonates with deeply held emotions that are often suppressed for the sake of social acceptance. To not have a sound that finds agreement with the sadness in your soul is a far worse loneliness I think.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013

Basically any 90s music you'd hear in 10 Things I hate about you. The 90s were a tragically beautiful time weren't they?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Not one that I've ever thought of as positive myself, but apparently a lot of couples are almost hilariously tone-deaf when it comes to Dolly Parton's "I Will Always Love You" (often Whitney Houston's cover). By which I mean that they play it at their weddings. As their first dance. And it's a lovely song, but it's a bittersweet breakup song. And it's not exactly hiding it. The first verse is "If I should stay, I would only be in your way. So I'll go, but I know that I'll be thinking of you every step of the way".

So yeah, breakup song that people consistently want sung at their weddings.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Eh, not really... I'm the opposite. What the vast majority of people would consider emotionally neutral has quite a heavy impact on me. I mean, what weirdo wells up listening to (non-vocal) secular baroque music?!

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah sure, these make me happy

Cant really add more than the musical bear. Happy music usually doesnt make me happy. It feels fake.