Sad times for the escapist..........

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Yahtzee brought me here, but I barely watch him anymore; he gets a little too repetitive. Stayed for Extra Credits and Bob. Enjoyed periodic stuff by Lisa Foiles, Rebecca Mayes and the Daily Drop guys. Just recently got into No Best Answer. Never really got into Jim - he hurt my ears. Not necessarily in a content sense, but in an acoustic sense. No, I don't know why, just that his shows tended to give me headaches.

But honestly, it's the internet. It's not like its a huge amount of effort to transition between here for one show and another site for another. Were Jim dead (as the initial "Farewell Jim Sterling" made me fear), that would be one thing, but a different URL up as you watch his videos isn't the worst thing in the world. I mean, I'm still watching Extra Credits. :D

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Jim may have been a heavy hitter here, but think Yahtzee is the only one who has an "only here for them" fan base large enough to make a real dent in the site. Someone will come along and fill the void. We can only hope they make content that's as good as Jim's used to be. Lets just hope it happens soon, Bob being one of the three major contributors has been hard enough due to the fall in quality his videos have had... well lets face it since around the time he started. Having him be one of two isn't going to be an ideal situation for anyone, not the site, not us viewers and not the content creators who have to fill the void.

It's too bad he has left, though. Might not agree with him on a lot of things, but over all I enjoyed his content and feel that unlike a lot of internet personalities of his fame he's probably a pretty nice guy in person too. There's someone else I'd rather have seen left, but that's neither here nor there.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
These threads always start with something in the relatively distant past. Extra Credits left almost four years ago, so it's not much in the way of a pattern.

I mean, yeah, I'ma miss Jim, and right now I don't know what (if anything) will replace him. Yes, if they lose a couple more people I might not bother with video content anymore. My interest in the reviews here just went way down. For now. I'll follow Jim where he goes, and it sucks for the Escapist because it's potentially less ad revenue from me.

But it's not a huge deal.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'm mainly here for the people that I talk to regularly anyways. Didn't think that would ever happen, but hey, stranger things have happened before. :p
Meanwhile, I'm just not sure how else I'd waste time.
There's another way to waste time here?

I mean, yeah there's only so many threads I can comment in and BS around, but what else do I do with my time? Be a functioning member of society?

Pfffffffffffffft... Fuck that noise. I'd rather find some peeps to talk to that seem pretty rad and waste time that way. :D

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Truthfully?

I'm here for a few reasons: Yahtzee is perpetually enjoyable for me in any format, I appreciate Tito as a dood, I enjoy the techy/nerdy news, and the forums are a consistent time-sink.

If Yahtzee disappeared? I'd probably still visit for news and the fora...but a lot less often, if I'm being honest.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
There's another way to waste time here?
I meant in general. This site has sort of become the only forum I visit regularly.
Ah, gotcha.

Honestly, this is the only place I visit regularly. I used to visit Battle.net for Diablo related things and I'd much rather shove a fork in my eye than go there.

This place is alright. Again, it's really the people in it that I stay for more than anything else because everywhere really doesn't do anything for me. :/

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ah, gotcha.

Honestly, this is the only place I visit regularly. I used to visit Battle.net for Diablo related things and I'd much rather shove a fork in my eye than go there.

This place is alright. Again, it's really the people in it that I stay for more than anything else because everywhere really doesn't do anything for me. :/
Much as it might make me sound like even more of a misanthrope than usual, but I think I mostly post here out of habit. It's not that I dislike the people here (though I totally hate you all!!!!!! Crap, did I type that out or just think it?), but I'm not sure there's much of a draw here. Though occasionally, a small sliver of my faith in humanity is restored by the people here.

I also still watch the videos here because I figure it might be marginally more supportive of them than YouTube and the comments section is less...public restroomy.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Ah, gotcha.

Much as it might make me sound like even more of a misanthrope than usual, but I think I mostly post here out of habit. It's not that I dislike the people here (though I totally hate you all!!!!!! Crap, did I type that out or just think it?), but I'm not sure there's much of a draw here. Though occasionally, a small sliver of my faith in humanity is restored by the people here.

I also still watch the videos here because I figure it might be marginally more supportive of them than YouTube and the comments section is less...public restroomy.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I know there are a few people that I talk to outside of here, but for the most part I just roam around the forums and post in a user group. It's out of habit now and the people I talk to in the user group I'm in are pretty awesome people. Nothing much else outside of that and the few other people I talk to outside of here.

I just come here out of routine now. Find new shit storms watch in either glee or horror as they unfold since I have nothing else better to do with my free time.

As for Youtube comments, well, I think an argument on a bathroom stall door is more riveting than YT comments. :p

thedailylunatic

May 11, 2009
pandorum said:
Now I only joined in may 2011 and I have been an in and out sort of guy on here, but I have noticed alot of great talent leave. Starting with Extra credits way back when, Lisa Foiles was next. First she left then she came back and now she is gone again. Now last but not least is good old Jim I remember his first show when he started on here and the corner stone he was to the website, love him or hate him he drew the views and the traffic. All that is left on here that is interesting for me is Yatzee and Movie Bob, but Bob has recently started loosing my interest. Anyone else feel like this website is becoming more empty with every departure?
We'll live, mate. We'll live. Remember that, at this point, The Escapist is the only major gaming site that didn't call you a horrible example of hegemonic toxically-masculine patriarchy (aka Magic Penis Conspiracy) and openly wished for your destruction. I'm definitely excited for the future here.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
Considering my bookmark is labeled "Zero Punctuation", if Yahtzee left, I would probably check this site once a month at most.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I got ZP, Big Picture (when its being about something interesting anyway) and Critical Miss. Plus all the RPs i'm in on so, I still got stuff on the site to do, just means nothing on Monday here cept checking my RPs

Edit: and apparently pissing people off for not agreeing with them is a thing I do now ....

Javetts Eall Raksha

May 28, 2014
i came here because of yahtzee, but bob and jim are what made me stay. jim taught me to be a more informed customer and to vote with my wallet. until i watched bob, i'd illegally watch every movie, never paid for a dvd or theater tickets. now i legally own a bunch of movies and go to the theater at least 10 times a year. losing jim does again mean one less day i'll check updates, but i'll still come, but now i only check; tuesday, wednesday and fridays. so less than half the time. if we also lost bob? i'd leave, yahtzee isn't enough. i'd every once and a while watch all the ones oi missed, but i'd not really view the site anymore.

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but will there be a jimquistion this week? and if so, will it be here or on you tube?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Its sad to see him go but I'm more scared that moviebob will become almost the sole contributor to the majority of the escapist. His tastes have been lining up with mine less and less ever since avengers came out.

That said, kinda sad to see jim go, even if I didn't always agree with him he made me smile.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's quite something how in the short time he was here, he's made such an immense impact that we have people saying 1/3 of the site's content has been lost with him leaving.

While I never cared for Movie Defense Force (sorry Jim, your insight in movies leaves a lot to be desired), and the Jimquistion was basically a reciting of events we all knew about and were either already against or for, BUT as told by Jim Sterling, it's his reviews and general presence I'll miss most of all. With him gone there's really no reviewer here worth a damn. No offense.

Anyway, it won't stop me from coming to the forums like a bad habbit as usual.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Yeah, I see what you mean. I know there are a few people that I talk to outside of here, but for the most part I just roam around the forums and post in a user group. It's out of habit now and the people I talk to in the user group I'm in are pretty awesome people. Nothing much else outside of that and the few other people I talk to outside of here.

I just come here out of routine now. Find new shit storms watch in either glee or horror as they unfold since I have nothing else better to do with my free time.

As for Youtube comments, well, I think an argument on a bathroom stall door is more riveting than YT comments. :p
I more skulk around the forums, looking for cases of social injustice. And then I strike, with laserlike focus and precision and....oooh, shiny!

The Escapist forums are a wonderful place to avoid doing work. ;)

And yeah, you may have a point about bathroom stalls.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
While a fan of Jim's in the sense that he's an admirable member of my industry, I rarely actually watched his stuff.

Yahtzee's kinda lost his...I dunno. Something.

LoadingReadyRun I pretty much just watch Feed Dump now.
Hell, Desert Bus For Hope 8 is happening right now and I've had the stream open for 2 days without actually watching it...
:/

MovieBob is the only one left whose videos I reliably watch almost without fail.

2012-13 were a glorious couple years for geeky internet video channels.
2014 is just a lot of fail for some reason...

Adam Sessler, Anthony Carboni, Max Scoville all left Rev3Games, then Nick Robinson and Tara Long were forced to leave as Rev3Games shut down entirely.

Destructoid's channel shut down, only to reopen with Max Scoville in charge. It hasn't been quite the same.
Destructoid also lost Jim Sterling.

Game Grumps has become a lot more hit and miss.

Polaris cancelled and uncancelled Friend Zone.
Polaris lost Holly Conrad, Chad Quandt, and then Neil Lambert as hosts...
Strippin's Got Game Show seems to've stopped being made.
Table Flip production is....spotty.
The Co-Optional Podcast has at least temporarily moved to TotalBiscuit's channel due to some form of contract dispute.

DNews also lost Anthony Carboni (who was their best host).
Hard Science ended when Anthony Carboni left.
Nature Hates You ended when Anthony Carboni left.

.....Dunno what the deal is with all this stuff.