Saddest Cutscenes (HUGE spoilers!)

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
I know this has been done before, but I wanted to mention one cutscene in paticular.

Ok, if you've not played Gears of War 3, LOOK AWAY NOW!

I mean, c'mon guys! Wasn't that heart renching! Seriously, I never cry at games or films but that had me holding back tears of manliness! I don't know what makes it sadder; the fact that Marcus is almost in tears or using "Mad World" as the music.

So, what do think of that cutscene? Is there any higher on the list?

doggie135

Feb 2, 2011
Silent Hill 2: The Videotape. Yes, *that* videotape.

Come to think of it, the scene isn't necessarily sad, simply depressing.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I will have to say... every other scene in Heavy Rain. Seriously that game is so depressing. And that's a part what makes it a good game.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
SH 2 video was pretty good. But...
http://www.jegged.com/Image/Strategy/FFVII/Walkthrough/Aeris-Death2.jpg
Yeah, this.

Mar 30, 2010
The theatrical end to Read Dead Redemption (not the epilogue). Coming as it does after a few missions depicting a kind of homey domesticity, the ending is ... powerful.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The ending cutscene from Shadow of the Colossus was pretty damn bittersweet.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
The theatrical end to Read Dead Redemption (not the epilogue). Coming as it does after a few missions depicting a kind of homey domesticity, the ending is ... powerful.
Same here. I love how in those last few missions at home everything is nice, everything is right in the world. Yet you know that something is coming and that its all almost too good to be true. I'd imagine that's how John must have felt during that time too. And then...

God, that was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Ahhh! Damn Gears of War!

When Dom died I was absolutely crushed. :'( He didn't deserve that after what happened to his wife. But he went out with a hell of a bang. With that one move he saved the lives of Marcus, Sam, Dizzy, Anya, and Jace. Without him, the Lambent and Locust wouldn't have been stopped. He died a hero. So I can let it go knowing Epic gave him a just end.

Broke my heart.

Shadow of the Colossus ending was so sad, too. :'(

I'm such a sucker for a sad story!

EDIT for spoilers...

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
JackandTom said:
I know this has been done before, but I wanted to mention one cutscene in paticular.

I mean, c'mon guys! Wasn't that heart renching! Seriously, I never cry at games or films but that had me holding back tears of manliness! I don't know what makes it sadder; the fact that Marcus is almost in tears or using "Mad World" as the music.

That was a fantastic scene, but I think Gears 2 took the biscuit with some of it's scenes. This was my favourite

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
The Pinray said:
When Dom died I was absolutely crushed. :'( He didn't deserve that after what happened to his wife. But he went out with a hell of a bang. With that one move he saved the lives of Marcus, Sam, Dizzy, Anya, and Jace. Without him, the Lambent and Locust wouldn't have been stopped. He died a hero. So I can let it go knowing Epic gave him a just end.

Still, broke my heart.

Shadow of the Colossus ending was so sad, too. :'(

I'm such a sucker for a sad story!
Ack.... spoilers, you douche, spoilers! Way to ruin the game for people!

OT: Half-Life Episode 2 ending.

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
Although this is sad Gears Of War 2 had a much sadder moment.
When Dom finds and kills Maria

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Probably no one has every played this game through a second time, but for those who have, it was a treat. "Neir" that weird Zelda RPG kinda cross thing, was mostly shunned by the community due its older graphics and endless fetch quests, even though the main story was actually ok. However, for those who played the second time, they got to witness amazing things.

Every boss had little back story cutscenes, explaining why they attacked you and how they became what they were. Some of the stories were so absolutely tragic I was shocked and appalled at MYSELF, for just making my main character do these horrible things. Basically it did the age old "No, YOU are the monster!" trick, but did it so well you want to cry.

If anyone can ever pick up this game cheap, I'd reccomend it. Just play through the main game as fast as you can, ignore all side quests, and get to that second playthrough. It wouldn't take to long, and it's some of the most emotional moments I've ever seen in gaming.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Mewick_Alex said:
Ack.... spoilers, you douche, spoilers! Way to ruin the game for people!

OT: Half-Life Episode 2 ending.
My bad! I edited my post to be spoiler free. :/ Sorry!

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
JackandTom said:

how very action film cliche.

i find myself saying: "oh no, a refrigerator died. my life will never be the same."
how can this be even remotely sad, yet alone a contender for "saddest cutscenes"?

Gears of War seems to be trying to get blood from stones in this story. its pathetic.

Null-Entity

Jun 8, 2010
Kyrian007 said:
Yeah, this.
Yup I cried like a baby whent hat happend... Then I kicked HIS ASS for it. :D

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The Bad Ending to Persona 4, simply because unlike most bad endings it's not like "HA! You and your friends are dead!"

It's more like "you've got to leave all your friends with a big fuck off mystery that you should have solved"

Considering the entire game is about solving that one big fuck off mystery it's a lot sadder than it sounds

Oh and i should mention the Bad Ending to Persona 3 too, it's basically "oh shit that final boss sounds imposing... I know quick wimp out!"

[sub]I need to stop making so many single sentence word structures[/sub]

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
Null-Entity said:
Kyrian007 said:
Yeah, this.
Yup I cried like a baby whent hat happend... Then I kicked HIS ASS for it. :D
This is the one for me as well. So unexpected and so sad. Not often a game has moved me like that and certainly wasn't expecting it from a ff game. Didn't want to let her go :(

Mar 30, 2010
Last Hugh Alive said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Same here. I love how in those last few missions at home everything is nice, everything is right in the world. Yet you know that something is coming and that its all almost too good to be true. I'd imagine that's how John must have felt during that time too. And then...

God, that was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.
And it's all in the set-up from the family missions. Had that ending come around five or six missions before it did, it would have been nowhere near as effective.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
garjian said:
how very action film cliche.

i find myself saying: "oh no, a refrigerator died. my life will never be the same."
how can this be even remotely sad, yet alone a contender for "saddest cutscenes"?

Gears of War seems to trying to get blood from stones in this story. its pathetic.
I can't understand it, either. But I guess to each their own.