Various episodes of Monk

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A Dog's Purpose... the whole movie. Any movie in which a dog dies is a tear-jerker; this movies kills like 10 of 'em.

mshcherbatskaya

Feb 1, 2008
The scene in "Dumbo" where they go to visit Dumbo's mom in elephant jail is one of the few things that makes me cry every damn time.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Logan had quite a few emotionally brutal moments-
Charles having some form of dementia and looking so frail and weak, Logan himself now being old and utterly worn down, Charles dying and Logan dying. But the saddest was the final shot when the Laura turned Logan's cross sideways to make it an X.
Multiple episodes of Scrubs.
Jurassic Bark, Luck of the Fryish and The Bots and the Bees from Futurama.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
CaitSeith said:
And no tears were shed here for "Titanic".
Actually I found Titanic quite sad in understated ways. Thomas Andrews adjusting the clock in the dining room, the band playing on the decks, little stuff like that.

And of course there's also the tragic undercurrent that it was a real thing and the ship became the water bound headstone for something like 1200 souls.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Agema said:
I think the thing that usually gets me are where characters have been struggling so hard against a tragedy (even if self-inflicted), and the point finally comes where they can't contain the force of it any more and they break. So for instance when the guilt eventually cuts through the amnesia in The Machinist, the revelation of the trauma of the mentally ill man in Spider, or the first season of Fleabag as her defensive facade of fun woman-around-town finally collapses under the strain. I suppose this idea might include that most shameless of tearjerkers, Cinema Paradiso, although that's a little sentimental for my tastes.

Other than that, the start montage from Pixar's "Up!" summarising the old guy's life is one of saddest moments you'll find in a film.
Damn. That reminded me of Memento. But more for the cop, than the main character

twistedmic said:
Charles having some form of dementia and looking so frail and weak, Logan himself now being old and utterly worn down, Charles dying and Logan dying. But the saddest was the final shot when the Laura turned Logan's cross sideways to make it an X.
Ithink Xavier yelling at Logan at the start was gut wrenching, especially when he breaks down and cries, but not realising how hurtful he's been. Also, when he does, he thinks Logann is killing him, and the look of betrayal that his own 'son' is doing it. And the hotel scene where Xavier loses it, show you how dangerous he is and the stories about Westmister were real.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Agema said:
I think the thing that usually gets me are where characters have been struggling so hard against a tragedy (even if self-inflicted), and the point finally comes where they can't contain the force of it any more and they break. So for instance when the guilt eventually cuts through the amnesia in The Machinist, the revelation of the trauma of the mentally ill man in Spider, or the first season of Fleabag as her defensive facade of fun woman-around-town finally collapses under the strain. I suppose this idea might include that most shameless of tearjerkers, Cinema Paradiso, although that's a little sentimental for my tastes.

Other than that, the start montage from Pixar's "Up!" summarising the old guy's life is one of saddest moments you'll find in a film.
Fleabag! I don't know anyone else that has watched that magnificent show. Terrific show. I love when she speaks with a man that is going through a group thing with men. He speaks of how he wants to be better and let his wife know how much he adores her. Gotta stop typing. Getting vaklempt.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Fry's dog Seymour in "Jurassic Bark" is the obvious choice however, even thinking about that moment in the "Luck of the Fryrish" episode of Futurama when Fry finally realizes his brother didn't steal his identity but instead missed him so much that he named his son after him will get me going every time. If I were an actor, that'd be my go to for sad scenes.

A close second is the later series episode "Game of Tones" when he talks to his mom in her dream.

And now I'm crying on a bus, great. Goddamn. How is a cartoon this powerful? What a terrific series that was.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
The endings of Now And Then, Here And There and Saikano aka She: The Ultimate Weapon. As far as anime goes those are some peak fucking sadness and as far as I'm aware no one really knows about them. Possibly because they're 20 years old holy shit I'm old.

While looking up NaTHaT I also found out its been compared to Grave Of The Fireflies, so hey, if proof be needed.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Gorfias said:
Fleabag! I don't know anyone else that has watched that magnificent show.
I'd expect a sizeable chunk of the British population - although it will be much harder to find Americans.

Terrific show. I love when she speaks with a man that is going through a group thing with men. He speaks of how he wants to be better and let his wife know how much he adores her. Gotta stop typing. Getting vaklempt.
Not just him - I liked that that (including the second season) Fleabag lets nearly most of the characters have some depth, strength and sympathy. Fleabag's drippy boyfriend at the start; the guy she mucks around and who finally lets fly with his frustration, even her sister's odious husband. Major and minor, the characters are not just comedic grotesques, you're invited to see their pain and struggle, and feel for them too.

Oct 22, 2011
The whole ending montage in "The assassination of Jesse James...", elevated by excellent Nick Cave soundtrack.

Blade Runner... 2049
K dying on those stairs. Sure, it's almost a homage to Roy Batty's death in original BR, down to the same music. And on a technical, performance level, and cultural impact, Rutger Hauer's monologue comes on the top. But, K's death left bigger emotional impact on me, due to ramifications of the plot and character.

The bittersweet ending to "Life is Beautiful". Putting a movie about holocaust here feels like cheating, but this one in particular hits hard because for the greater run time it's almost a (tragic)comedy.

The ending to "Leon(The Proffesional)".

In a more sappy way; an old, tired dog on a verge of death is a tearjerker that is guaranteed to work. Others already mentioned 'Jurrasic Bark', but im talking here about "My friend Hachiko" or whatever was it called. The one with Richard Gere.

Cowboy Bebop, "Hard Luck Woman" session. Bebop crew splitting, and Faye lying on the outline of her past. (And "The real folk blues pt.2" of course, but that's obvious... "Bang!")
twistedmic said:
Seconded.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Kyrian007 said:
Until it got retconned by "Bender's Big Score" the ending to Futurama's "Jurassic Bark" was the saddest ending to a television episode I had ever seen. What is most annoying, is by retconning the ending... yes it is less sad but the emotional impact of that ending was ripped away. It is less than it was and that is not a good thing. The other one that gets me is Trigun's "Paradise." Not because of the major character death that takes place in that episode, that is sad... but the scene that get to me is Milly's reaction later. She is always so optimistic, upbeat, happy... seeing her devastated and weeping just destroys me.
Edit: Seconded. I tried covering my ears to drown out her pain, it did not work.

This scene is the first time I ever cried at an anime that had tear jerking ending.

Here Comes Tomorrow said:
The endings of Now And Then, Here And There and Saikano aka She: The Ultimate Weapon. As far as anime goes those are some peak fucking sadness and as far as I'm aware no one really knows about them. Possibly because they're 20 years old holy shit I'm old.

While looking up NaTHaT I also found out its been compared to Grave Of The Fireflies, so hey, if proof be needed.
I saw both NaTHaT and Grave of the Fireflies within a couple of weeks of each other. I was 14 at the time (saw them both in 2003). What the hell was I doing watching those??!! Though I can't watch GotF, it feels way too guilt trippy. Which it is to its Japanese delinquent youth during the 80s.