Safety videos are terrifying

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Am I the only one that finds the surreality in the safety videos that you get on planes and boats and the like to be absolutely fucking terrifying? I always find that they make me more worried than I should be.

Jun 11, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
EternalFacepalm said:
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. "Secure the vest"?
It isn't that. It's that everyone is so calm when this is happening.
Mmm, yeah, those nonexistent people represented by drawings are quite calm. It's almost as if the airline responsible for your safety and wellbeing doesn't want you to panic during a situation wherein your chances of survival are increased if you don't panic.

How weird.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
I understand why, but seeing everyone being like 'hey kids, the plane is crashing! Let's put the gas mask on in a nice orderly fashion' just looks off in the situation that they're in.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Scolar Visari said:
Honestly, I'd prefer it if the safety videos were like this, because at least it's funny and the people, though still caricatures, aren't walking around with a giant fucking GRIN affixed to their faces when in a life threatening situation.

Jun 11, 2009
Froggy Slayer said:
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
I understand why, but seeing everyone being like 'hey kids, the plane is crashing! Let's put the gas mask on in a nice orderly fashion' just looks off in the situation that they're in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Congratulations, you're a human being.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dags90 said:
There are no accidents.
Serves her right for being so happily engaged. Her colleagues were probably sick of her constantly taking about it into thin air, and sprayed that grease on the floor on purpose.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Dags90 said:
There are no accidents.
Serves her right for being so happily engaged. Her colleagues were probably sick of her constantly taking about it into thin air, and sprayed that grease on the floor on purpose.

Remind me to never get married...

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I remember this really fuckin' creepy fire safety ad that gave fire the voice of a demon child mocking a dad's desperate attempts to completely fireproof his home.

But I can't find that, so settle for this fire mage pedophile instead;

Also, witness the 9th doctor laughing at the death of two young people;

Fantastic!

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
They are supposed to be that way. The best way to get people to practice proper safety procedure is to give them a very strong and immediate incentive to do so. Fear is a good way to do this. If you can scare people by depicting the consequences of not following proper procedure, then they will be likely to take that into account and less likely to dick around when their safety is involved. If safety videos weren't scary at all, they probably would not leave much of any impact at all. Just look at the safety brochures on planes. You are tens of thousands of feet above the air, and a fuck up could have you spiraling towards your death at terminal velocity, but you tend not to think about that. Those safety brochures leave almost no impact on the passengers. A good safety video/brochure will probably remind you that you are tens of thousands of feet in the air and are going to fucking die if there is a problem and you can't follow safety procedure.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Us Brits aren't too afraid to get down to business with our PSAs too!

Here's one showing how you, your friends and everyone in the vicinity unfortunate to have a pulse is fucked if you text while driving.

Sleep tight, children!

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
Well it is partly to scare the saftey into you, but that being said, it certainly doesn't help my anxiety issues. Thats even when I already know the saftey procedures to begin with...

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Dags90 said:
There are no accidents.
I'm sorry that's the funniest thing I've read today.

But on topic: If I had to guess, these things are terrifying for the sake of getting attention. The cavemen who weren't attentive to potential dangers died out pretty quickly, so we're descended from the skittish ones who checked their back after every odd step. So it's our instinct to pay attention to bad things.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
when i done my health and safety course the video they showed was basically a B grade slasher flick. everything from impalement to loss of limb to decapitation. what made it hilarious was they instantly switched from dangers on the construction/factory site to dangers in the office showing the lethal injuries of strained back from using the photo copier abd paper cuts when passing memos