Saints Row 3 Australian Price

Giddi

Feb 5, 2008
Look, I know this has been bought up before in general, and Aussie release dates are also a common complaint... (not long ago talked about on ABC's Good Game as was mentioned in these forums) But I had a look on steam the other day to see to my great delight:

Saints Row 3 Preorder!!!

Slightly below this though was the price: $89.99 (AUD).

Now, my work has an office in the US, so I dial (VPN) through there to have a look at the price it would be if I were shopping from the US: 49.99 (USD, converted would be $AUD46.56 not including fees).

So seriously, what is the deal here?!? I don't need postage, packaging or handling, so where is the extra $40 (ish) coming from?

I own in excess of 200 steam games, generally the steam sales don't seem too bad. This must be from the publisher, yes? Or am I completely off target?

Regardless I won't be buying SR3 until it is around $40, so I may be waiting some time.

InfectedStar

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know man, game prices today are messed when international waters are invovled; it could have to do with the government or bills set in place...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's probably along the lines of 'these idiots have paid these high prices for years, and they'll continue to do so because we tell them to' mentality of most gaming companies.

Or, you know, it could be (I'm not sure about this) Non-USA places have higher taxes on goods?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Reminds me of the European prices that we get. A Gamestop release of nearly every new game is upwards in the range of 69 to 79 Euros (around 113$!!), it's absolutely ridiculous and no explanation has been offered.
In Ireland, Gamestop releases are only ever like, 50?

But yeah, some places are insane.

Giddi

Feb 5, 2008
and yet, the dead island preorder is USD $49.99 whether buying through Australia or the US... So it can't be steam or taxes...

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Giddi said:
So seriously, what is the deal here?!? I don't need postage, packaging or handling, so where is the extra $40 (ish) coming from?
Valve say the publishers force them to jack up the prices because otherwise our retailers ***** that they can't compete with them. You're best bet is to find someone in the US and ask them to gift you the game at the US price and pay them back. Since it isn't allowed I won't post a site I use where people actually organise Steam gifting but if you just Google around you can find it.

Giddi

Feb 5, 2008
Adzma said:
Giddi said:
Valve say the publishers force them to jack up the prices because otherwise our retailers ***** that they can't compete with them. You're best bet is to find someone in the US and ask them to gift you the game at the US price and pay them back. Since it isn't allowed I won't post a site I use where people actually organise Steam gifting but if you just Google around you can find it.
Cheers mate, but the next question is, if I'm physically in the US, can I purchase it there but still use it on my Australian account? If that is the case I'll give my login details to the next workmate who is going over, or just buy it from the US vpn...

I might drop steam support an email on that one.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
You guys can preorder it? You lucky kangaroo boxing, lager swilling people.
It's disappeared from the UK steam site completely.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Steam has a deal with most local retailers in which it doesn't try to undercut their businesses by selling games at dramatically lower prices. Or maybe it's legislation. I'm not entirely sure, but it's to protect the large, physical retailers from losing an enormous portion of their business, meaning that we get screwed even when there's no real reason for it.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Giddi said:
Cheers mate, but the next question is, if I'm physically in the US, can I purchase it there but still use it on my Australian account? If that is the case I'll give my login details to the next workmate who is going over, or just buy it from the US vpn...
The funds also need to be coming from a US account. Not so long ago you used to be able to use a VPN and an Australian PayPal account for instance but you can't get away with that anymore. That's why it's best to get someone to gift it to you.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Games are just more expensive in Australia, I guess.
That's the way it's always been, and that's probably the way it'll stay.