Saints Row 4 Getting Well-Timed "GATV" DLC Pack Next Week

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Apparently I'm the only person who likes to change clothes frequently in SR games. I know these kinds of packs aren't "game changing" or useful at all if you don't like what they're selling, but like, that's why they're cheap and not required at all. But I still like them. I guess some people just want to watch the world dress up.

I'm sure more people will be on board for the two mission packs currently announced, though.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
Oh look, they added some DLC to the DLC that got released as a standalone but doesn't deserve the title.
And it's some clothes? Oh, sweet.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
So I'm buying this. I really like Saints Row 4 and I want to support the devs.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
In Search of Username said:
LordLundar said:
ThriKreen said:
Because I had fun with it and SR3, and put GTA4 down halfway through because it was just too boring and GTA5 looks to be more of the same boring, empty world.
Maybe if a game needs to allow you to attack people with a massive dildo and fire shit at people and become the president and fight people off with a dubstep gun in order to not be considered 'boring', it says more about you than it does about the game? Just maybe.
"I don't like so it's objectively the worst game ever! Anyone who disagrees with me is a 12 year old"

Or it could just be that they are comfortable enough in their maturity to enjoy immature things. Not everything needs to be grim/dark hard boiled serious game all the time.
When did I say my opinions were objectively correct?

Yeah sure, enjoy immature things all you want, my problem is when people start to criticise anything that ISN'T immature as 'boring'. By any other standards than video game standards, GTA IV would be considered over-the-top and ridiculous, but this mentality of instantly rejecting anything that tries to be taken seriously persists in gaming, and it's part of the reason society sees us all as a bunch of children.

There's no problem with enjoying immature stuff, but there is a problem with enjoying ONLY immature stuff.
I too found GTAIV to be completely bland. The characters were bland, the setting was bland, the story was not engaging to me. After the love i had for the characters in SA, everything being so mundane in 4 bored the hell out of me.

I enjoy serious games. I enjoy flippant games. I enjoy puzzlers, i enjoy action, i enjoy a hell of a lot of games that are done well.

I did NOT enjoy GTA 4. Didn't finish it as i wasn't enjoying myself, and is one of 2 games i've ever traded in. The other being ghostbusters ... where i didn't even finish the tutorial, it was so bad.

I have enjoyed SR2 and 3, never got to play the first one. And i will eventually give SR4 a shot. I'm still undecided about GTA V to be honest, after how much i disliked 4.

Actually... a lot of rockstar's stuff lately has been kind of a let down to me... GTA 4, RDR, Max Payne 3... all bored the piss out of me and haven't finished any of those 3.

Getting back on track..

The name of the DLC made me chuckle. Apart from that, i only buy story/mission/quest related DLC, not cosmetic stuff.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Why anyone would want to play this and not GTA V, I don't know.
Because one series has been objectively superior for years now, and nothing GTA since GTASA has been even remotely good?

GTA4 took the one-way trip to graphics-over-content land, and was full of nothing but tedious bullshit, cardboard-cutout characters whose personalities were, at best, annoying and, at worst, annoying as fuck, hours of tutorializing simple shit, fuck-around content that lacked a theme or clear reward, cop chases that ended by you simply outrunning the cops, and in general just being an awful game. Considering how legendary GTASA was, in every respect (from great characters with great VA's to a huge variety of weapons, vehicles, a world map that was more than just 1 boring city, and a fucking jetpack, etc) GTA4 was a massive step backwards, and none of their releases since then have been quality.

If they had a press release saying something like "wow, we're sorry GTA4 was a massive steaming pile of shit, we're trying to make GTA5 a different and better game" maybe I could get behind them, but given that they haven't it seems that they're working under the false impression that GTA4 was remotely good. Maybe GTA5 will be good, maybe it won't, but if they follow the trend they've set with graphically impressive but incredibly shallow games, GTA5 will be worse than SR4.

And that is why "anyone" would want to play SR4 instead of GTA4:the next one:the graphical update. Rockstar has the ability to make great games; they did three in a row with GTA3, GTAVC, and GTASA. Everything since then, however, has been progressively worse. If they reverse the trend with GTA5, fantastic! Better for gamers everywhere. But I'm not holding out hope; I've been praying for squeenix to break their trend of increasingly terrible final fantasies, and I've been waiting 12 years for that shit to change. I don't expect rockstar to figure it out this quickly.

If you still thoroughly enjoy the GTA series from 4 and beyond, great! Even ancient MMOs like everquest still have players; there's a niche for everyone to enjoy, even if it's shallow sandbox content. You can enjoy them all you want, but everyone who truly enjoyed what GTA was about rather than the box GTA was wrapped in jumped over to Saints Row years ago.

Feb 22, 2009
AuronFtw said:
Why anyone would want to play this and not GTA V, I don't know.
Because one series has been objectively superior for years now, and nothing GTA since GTASA has been even remotely good?

GTA4 took the one-way trip to graphics-over-content land, and was full of nothing but tedious bullshit, cardboard-cutout characters whose personalities were, at best, annoying and, at worst, annoying as fuck, hours of tutorializing simple shit, fuck-around content that lacked a theme or clear reward, cop chases that ended by you simply outrunning the cops, and in general just being an awful game. Considering how legendary GTASA was, in every respect (from great characters with great VA's to a huge variety of weapons, vehicles, a world map that was more than just 1 boring city, and a fucking jetpack, etc) GTA4 was a massive step backwards, and none of their releases since then have been quality.

If they had a press release saying something like "wow, we're sorry GTA4 was a massive steaming pile of shit, we're trying to make GTA5 a different and better game" maybe I could get behind them, but given that they haven't it seems that they're working under the false impression that GTA4 was remotely good. Maybe GTA5 will be good, maybe it won't, but if they follow the trend they've set with graphically impressive but incredibly shallow games, GTA5 will be worse than SR4.

And that is why "anyone" would want to play SR4 instead of GTA4:the next one:the graphical update. Rockstar has the ability to make great games; they did three in a row with GTA3, GTAVC, and GTASA. Everything since then, however, has been progressively worse. If they reverse the trend with GTA5, fantastic! Better for gamers everywhere. But I'm not holding out hope; I've been praying for squeenix to break their trend of increasingly terrible final fantasies, and I've been waiting 12 years for that shit to change. I don't expect rockstar to figure it out this quickly.

If you still thoroughly enjoy the GTA series from 4 and beyond, great! Even ancient MMOs like everquest still have players; there's a niche for everyone to enjoy, even if it's shallow sandbox content. You can enjoy them all you want, but everyone who truly enjoyed what GTA was about rather than the box GTA was wrapped in jumped over to Saints Row years ago.
'Objectively superior'? Come on now.

You lost me when you tried to act like past GTA characters had more depth than the ones in GTA 4. Come on now, you can enjoy past GTAs more because you like the silliness, but don't try to act like GTA 4 wasn't a step up in terms of actually having good writing. Every single character in GTA pre-4 was a stereotype, because they were all pretty much stock characters ripped from movies. The driving force of San Andreas's plot was 'drugs are bad kids! So murder thousands of people to get them off your streets'. Which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I will concede that the setting of 4 was a bit shit, but that's just another reason I'm so excited about 5.

As for what GTA was about, I thought it was about humorous satire and a fun sandbox to explore. Just because they started taking themselves seriously on occasion shouldn't ruin that for you. But apparently what GTA was about for you was shallow, soulless characters and content, gimmicks, and general laziness.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I'll only give a shit about actual mission pack DLC, not some minor crap like cosmetic changes for the player. This is what I don't like about the game industry, cranking out stupid aesthetic changes and selling them as DLC.

Extra content used to mean something like 15 or 20 hours more game time the way Oblivion done it with Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles or Quake and Quake 2's mission packs, not shit like extra multiplayer maps and skins the way all the bloody CoD games have done it.