Saints Row dev: "Xbox 720 used game ban would be fantastic."

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218051p1.html

Why does every publisher seem to be in cahoots with each other on the subject of used games?

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
Its just rumors. Plus, Microsoft won't ban the use of used games. It would cause too much controversy, and give up loads of market to the other companies.

Plus, he was a Saint's Row dev, which if we not forget, had large purple dildos as weapons. Probably not very serious on his stance on the subject in question.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Saucycardog said:
Why does every publisher seem to be in cahoots with each other on the subject of used games?

I'm sure car manufacturers and new car dealerships would also leap at the opportunity to take down used cars. However, used car sales have been around for so long that they've become their own type of market and they've just learned to have to deal with it. Unfortunately games are quite a bit younger than automobiles, and used games have only become a really big deal in the last 10 years or so, so the publishers haven't quite settled into it yet. They haven't been able to accept that is the way things are quite yet, so they're still huffing and puffing while they can.

But there is no way in hell Microsoft would ever do such a thing, as there is no need for it and it would only lose them money and customer favorability. [footnote]And if anybody says anything about publishers paying them off to do it I will be forced to pop you. If publishers want to deal with used games so badly, all they have to do is implement product-key systems in their console games exactly like what is used with PC games. It would be cheaper, easier to implement, and wouldn't carry the possible legal and economic ramifications of effectively shutting down a huge portion of the gaming market, and disfranchising other publishers that may want their games to be able to be played used.[/footnote] So I wouldn't worry about it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
"they will grow to understand why and that it won't kill them"

ahem.....

FUCK YOU

you should grow to understand that screwing with us the paying customers is not a good thing, and it wont kill you to NOT get that precious imaginary money,

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I'm perfectly ok with the online passes/project 10$ stuff as a small way to get money out of the used game sales... but eliminating it completely sounds like the biggest load of crap rumor yet out of the Xbox 720 speculation.

The backlash would be horrible. They'd be handing Sony they keys to the market with the next generation.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Awexsome said:
I'm perfectly ok with the online passes/project 10$ stuff as a small way to get money out of the used game sales... but eliminating it completely sounds like the biggest load of crap rumor yet out of the Xbox 720 speculation.

The backlash would be horrible. They'd be handing Sony they keys to the market with the next generation.
I was going to say nothing but I saw your comment and then you avatar and laughed more loudly than I should of, Thank you.

OT: Good to know people in this industry care just a little, If your last two games didn't annoy me enough not to buy your games, this would of pushed me over. It might be cruel to punish a whole studio for the words of one but maybe he could get a write-up and learn to keep his mouth shut. I liked it better when I didn't know that almost every company is trying to bum-rush me.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Incase nobody remembers Saints Row 3 is a Project $10 game. Meaning of course the people who made it have it out for the Used game industry.
Lilani said:
Saucycardog said:
Exactly.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Awexsome said:

I dont know...I think there would still be enough "fanboys" willing to buy it, and justify it to theself with other reasons

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I am a bit of an Xbox fanboy. I don't own a PS3 but I do own a 360. I have been quite happy with the 360 and don't regret buying it over the PS3 at all. I have always assumed that I would get the new xbox over the new ps3. I probably will if this is nothing but rumor.

If this actully happens then I will indeed buy a new Playstaion instead. Used games are not killing the industry, I get that devs want to make money from their sales but perhaps it would be a better idea to try and make their own used games market somehow.

Perhaps Microsoft or someone could have a system that lets people send games back to them which they can then sell on used themselves rather than trying to eliminate used games entirely?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since Volition made saints row 3 which is 50% DLC or so it seems anyway. I'd always been a fan of them and their games untill the most recent red faction and saints row 3.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Fine with me. Still getting an X720, and getting the popcorn ready for the comedy that will be the incessant whining of used game buyers.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Get stuffed.

Sincerely, Katsabas.

If you didn't want to loooooooose so much money, developers and publishers shouldn't had transformed it from something accessible to a luxury. Fucking 60 to 70 bucks per game, I am paying more for the graphic engine of a game than its damn gameplay.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
Fine with me. Still getting an X720, and getting the popcorn ready for the comedy that will be the incessant whining of used game buyers.
Same here. I try to buy all my games new anyway so it won't effect me much. But honestly I don't think THAT many people would stop buying games. I worked at a movie theater for 3 years and you wouldn't believe how many times I got this on a DAILY basis..."two tickets for that 3D movie" me: ok that will be $27 "WHAT?! $27! THAT'S CRAZY! THAT PRICE IS WAY TO HIGH" and you know what happened 98% of the time after they finish the rant? They hand me the money and go watch the movie. Same thing when they would buy food in concession.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Ah, Volition. I used to think you were cool. I even once vowed to buy every single Saints Row game I could play once the price dropped to where I could afford them.

But damn, son, you must be either high or just dumb.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Swifty714 said:
Its just rumors. Plus, Microsoft won't ban the use of used games. It would cause too much controversy, and give up loads of market to the other companies.

Plus, he was a Saint's Row dev, which if we not forget, had large purple dildos as weapons. Probably not very serious on his stance on the subject in question.
I have to agree wit this statement here. It'd go down worse than the Vita not having backwards compatibility. Not to mention, of course, that there's always a surge of hatred for DRM and all that DLC crap to begin with.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
everythingbeeps said:
If people just swirl their brandy, and allow thing like this to happen, things will keep getting worse, and devs/publishers will continue to get away with it.

We do have a right to "Incessantly whine" about this stuff. Why are people allowed to get away with this shit in videogames but not any other medium. Big WTF.

mightybozz

Aug 20, 2009
My Xbox is not online. I live in a rural area and getting a PC online with a decent connection is tough enough.

If the Xbox 720 did this, then I could not be a console gamer. End of story.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Removing the ability to buy used games will just cause more piracy.

People who buy used can't afford a full priced brand new game, they wait for the game to be cheap and then grab it when it reaches their price bracket.

These people could go out and pirate the game using the same BS excuses most pirates use of not being able to afford the game but they have a bit more backbone than that and actually go out and spend their cash on a cheap used game instead, if you take away used games what's the only choice you leave them with? Hey, it wouldn't have been a sale anyway, they couldn't afford the game in the first place so what's the problem?

The best thing I can think of that developers and publishers could do to help themselves without screwing over their poorer customers would be to work out a deal with retail stores who trade used games where they instead of the store pays the customer the money for the used games and then split the profits of the next sale of the game between them. The store has nothing to lose, they're essentially getting free money and the developer/publisher has everything to gain since they're finally seeing some profits from used games.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Dont you just love the fact that in about ten years time the children of tomorrow will have to say yeah i remember those games, i wish i could play them again but its impossible as there are no new copy's available and my old copys broken. Thats the kind of future of gaming they will create with this, you may see a few re releases of some games but that's it.

I highly doubt this is going to be done.