Saints Row IV is awesome

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Between the super powers, the wardens, the fun weapons, the fun missions, the fun activities, and the fun characters, the only reason I have stopped right now is to watch toonami.

I have never before seen a game developer that understands me and my needs as much as volition does. It's like they went into my head and extracted one of the best superhero games I have ever played.

And then, to top it off, the beginning sitcom mission takes a bunch of stabs at mafia II, one of my most hated games of all time, mostly due to the chores scattered about the plot and the fuel and traffic laws. SR IV made fun of this, and I really like volition for it. And then that gag doesn't outstay it's welcome, as I'm soon into superpowers anyways.

Saints Row IV is already one of games I've played in which I have had the most fun in my life, and I've been to an amusement park. And it's definitely on it's way to being the best game I have ever played and will ever play and I've only just done the mission where you rescue matt miller.

As soon as I get some sleep, I'm going to play the hell out of this thing.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
delta4062 said:
Mafia 2 one of the most hated games of all time? Sure people complained about those things, but it wasn't hated. It's critically acclaimed.
No, no. One of MY most hated games of all time. I'm talking about personal feelings here. You can like it all you want, but in my opinion no game worth a shit makes you clean toilets and lift heavy crates and get gas in a product that's supposed to be an ESCAPE from the real world.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
First off, Mafia 2 was a liner story focused game (big map=/=sandbox), if you dont like that then you shouldnt have played it, clear as water.

Second, while Saints Row IV is a good game I really feel that it could have been more (it really needed more power variety and more longevity) and as it stands it really just ends up being either a love letter for loyal Saints Row fans (from the first game to the last) or a somewhat different take on the Crackdown/Prototype gameplay, if you played Crackdown before there is a lot in SRIV that already feels repetitive.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Rented the game and liked it a lot more than SR3. I hated the direction SR3 took compared to the first two games but 4 was the kind of the next logical step for the series. The SR franchise turned into bargain bin pick for me but at least i can still get my open world fix with the games (while having fun). Since i never played Crackdown 4 felt different than any other sandbox game. Not sure if they helped out with DLC by now but the game really needed a few more superhero costumes.

rumdumconundrum

Jun 6, 2012
Well, I will admit that some people are upset by the direction the game has taken. It USED to be a game about building a criminal empire with a gang who get into wacky situations. It was more of a tongue in cheek version of GTA.

But I tend to see people who say "this isn't Saints Row anymore" like this:

People have been saying that since Saints Row 2 came out. Seriously.

Look, they know they're not going to be able to compete with Rockstar when it comes to GTA, and they're smart enough to be able to deal with that.

I really enjoyed Saints Row 4. Granted, the lack of character customization compared to 2 is still kind of disheartening, but when you do a graphical update like that, you're going to have to cut down on options. There's only so much space on a disc. And I'll admit the game is still REALLY glitchy. I've still got Keith David voicing one of his audio logs every time I boot the game up.

But the gameplay was really entertaining. The superspeed, the gliding, the super melee attacks. All of it felt like the same mania that I'd come to expect from Saint's Row.

Now, the lack of an online pass with a new copy, that DID piss me off a bit.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
It looked too much like Crackdown 2 for me
But I'll probably end up grabbing it anyway at some point

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
josemlopes said:
First off, Mafia 2 was a liner story focused game (big map=/=sandbox), if you dont like that then you shouldnt have played it, clear as water.
Yeah well, people on GTAForums kept asking for traffic laws and fuel features from that game to be put in GTA V, so I had to see what was so special about it. Also, I hate when a game wastes my time with chores. I'm here to have fun, not sell virtual cigarettes.

Plus how would I know whether I like it or not without playing it?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Yeah, Saints Row IV is pretty awesome. And as weird as it sounds I also really like 'the Boss' as a protagonist, just a blast to play as and with just enough personality to not end up a blank slate. Honestly half the joy of Saints Row IV was just the player characters interaction with his/her crew. For a game that features so many dick jokes, it has surprisingly sharp dialogue.

Plus 'the Boss' just looks incredibly badass in my game:

That helps. Plus superpowers. And aliens. And killing aliens with superpowers. That was nice!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rumdumconundrum said:
But I tend to see people who say "this isn't Saints Row anymore" like this:

People have been saying that since Saints Row 2 came out. Seriously.
You know, there have been a ton of valid criticisms about the Saints Row series, and not even just SINCE 2. downplaying it like this is a touch absurd, so I hope that's what you were going for.

That being said, I got a good deal on it this weekend, it'll be in Monday or Tuesday, and I plan to give it a fair shake. I'm not here to knock the game I haven't played yet. Rather, I was curious as to what insight this thread would offer.

I have sort of low expectations of it, but high enough it's worth the gamble on a borderline bargain bin price.

KevinHe92 said:
I liked it, but I got absolutely no replay value out of it. Once I beat it (100% in about 12 hours outside of all those data things floating around) I just put it away.
This is one of the things I'm worried about, specifically. Which is why I held out.

josemlopes said:
Wasn't it marketed as "open world/sandbox," though? I haven't played it (and wouldn't mind, honestly, as long as it's a good story), but I remember reviewers seeming to feel let down that it wasn't "really" an open world/sandbox title. Maybe they were idiots, maybe they were misled, maybe I remember wrong. This is why I'm asking.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I bought it on the sale too and look forward to playing it. My damn gaming backlog is increasing now at a rapid rate. Thanks steam! I somehow love you and hate you at the same time.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
josemlopes said:
Wasn't it marketed as "open world/sandbox," though? I haven't played it (and wouldn't mind, honestly, as long as it's a good story), but I remember reviewers seeming to feel let down that it wasn't "really" an open world/sandbox title. Maybe they were idiots, maybe they were misled, maybe I remember wrong. This is why I'm asking.
I dont remember the marketing but I doubt they went with the "Do what you want" sort of thing that you usually see in Saints Row or GTA trailers and instead used more story focused trailers.

The game did have a lot of dialog and driving so if the levels were like a typical linear game then it wouldnt make much sense (its kind of like LA Noire, the big open map is there because you will be walking a lot in the city, not because its a playground).

Most missions dont even let you do much other then the present objective, and some dont even take place in the open map. If it wasnt the way it was then a lot of the driving would have to be cut and there is a lot of dialog in that game that takes place in those moments when you are driving from one place to the next and since its a story focused game if you dont care about the dialog then there is no point in playing that game to be honest.

It did the same thing as the first Mafia where it did a big map without filling with the "sandbox" part where the player could entertain itself after finishing the game, it doesnt mean that its a bad game since it offers the same as any other linear story focused game.

Apr 5, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Also, I hate when a game wastes my time with chores. I'm here to have fun, not sell virtual cigarettes.
I remember many tedious missions in SR3, driving Pierce around while he sells T-Shirts amongst other things. What Mafia II did was start us, as Vito, at the bottom of the ladder. Selling bootleg cigarettes was the start. Then there's the stealth mission for the food stamps, car thefts, beating up some dockworkers before moving into bigger and bigger things (the Hotel level, for example). It shows Vito going from nothing to becoming a "Made Man". I thought the setting and atmosphere were great in the game and was only disappointed by it's lack of a manual save feature and sandbox things to do (which I believe the DLCs went some way toward addressing). The speeding thing was frustrating, a shame it couldn't be disabled but it was a concious design decision and as such, is just a matter of preference.

OT, I don't know what to make of SR4. It was good, yes, but I don't think it was as good as SR3. The superpowers were fun, don't mistake me, but it made what was an easy game even easier. Cars, and the whole car upgrades were rendered pointless and there were *less* clothing options than 3, can't understand why. I don't know if the lack of other criminal gangs contributed but something was lacking from SR4. It's less replayable too.

It can be nice sometimes to be a "God" in games, but I think the fun with it is only there when the game isn't designed for it in mind. Playing Dishonored, Prototype, SR4, Force Unleashed feels a little "cheap" in a way, since there's so little challenge and the whole gameplay is throwing around grunts. For some reason I don't include Dynasty Warriors in that list despite kinda being the epitome of this sorta thing...it's just different somehow. But the superpowers in SR3 were great...I even have a mod that adds them (the speed at least) permanently.

Maybe I was just disappointed by the story. They kinda put paid to the series with it, though the very ending did leave a loophole of sorts, so who knows?

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
SR4 is good, lots of fun and I really enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd say it was great. I mean, now that I've finished it I don't think I'll play it again.

KingsGambit said:
It can be nice sometimes to be a "God" in games, but I think the fun with it is only there when the game isn't designed for it in mind. Playing Dishonored, Prototype, SR4, Force Unleashed feels a little "cheap" in a way, since there's so little challenge and the whole gameplay is throwing around grunts. For some reason I don't include Dynasty Warriors in that list despite kinda being the epitome of this sorta thing...it's just different somehow. But the superpowers in SR3 were great...I even have a mod that adds them (the speed at least) permanently.
I played Dynasty Warriors 4 the other day and it handed me my arse. It's really quite hard on hard! Perhaps it is because you have to earn your Godlike status, both in terms of character upgrades and personal skill, that it doesn't feel like as much a cakewalk as those other games?

The Madman said:
Plus 'the Boss' just looks incredibly badass in my game:

Holy shit dude, she looks like Gillian Anderson playing a terminator! Me likey! Which voice did you give her?

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
KingsGambit said:
Racecarlock said:
Also, I hate when a game wastes my time with chores. I'm here to have fun, not sell virtual cigarettes.
I remember many tedious missions in SR3, driving Pierce around while he sells T-Shirts amongst other things. What Mafia II did was start us, as Vito, at the bottom of the ladder. Selling bootleg cigarettes was the start. Then there's the stealth mission for the food stamps, car thefts, beating up some dockworkers before moving into bigger and bigger things (the Hotel level, for example). It shows Vito going from nothing to becoming a "Made Man". I thought the setting and atmosphere were great in the game and was only disappointed by it's lack of a manual save feature and sandbox things to do (which I believe the DLCs went some way toward addressing). The speeding thing was frustrating, a shame it couldn't be disabled but it was a concious design decision and as such, is just a matter of preference.

OT, I don't know what to make of SR4. It was good, yes, but I don't think it was as good as SR3. The superpowers were fun, don't mistake me, but it made what was an easy game even easier. Cars, and the whole car upgrades were rendered pointless and there were *less* clothing options than 3, can't understand why. I don't know if the lack of other criminal gangs contributed but something was lacking from SR4. It's less replayable too.

Maybe I was just disappointed by the story. They kinda put paid to the series with it, though the very ending did leave a loophole of sorts, so who knows?
Eh, I'm not much of a challenge guy. Guess that means I wouldn't ask you to recommend me games, but not much else.

I like being an overpowered as hell god. Ever since I discovered cheat codes I've loved being an overpowered as hell god. Challenge is a secondary thing to me. And to be honest, having to retry a stage 50 times because of overpowered enemies is something I would say is the least possible fun imaginable. For me it is, anyways.

Mafia II is fine if you like those kinds of stories. But in my mind, I like to imagine games and movies as if they were people. Mafia II as a person was kind of a dick to me. "NO! You can't speed in here, that's traffic laws because REALIZUM. NO! You're going to clean toilets in prison like a good little boy. HEY! No weapons in public, prepare to have officers ticket you a whole bunch. REALIZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!".

Saints Row IV on the other hand went "Hey, was that guy a jerk to you? Here, let me do this funny caricature to start you off. Okay, now you're the president and since this is a hacked simulation you now also get super powers. Do you like 80's rock? Me too! Let me play the best possible 80s rock and modern rock I can during improbably awesome missions where you do things that you've always wanted to do in video games. Now rescue someone else from Mafia II. Sorry I keep taking away your powers, here's superpowers in the real world in the form of power armor."

On the whole, I find SR IV more likable as a game and as an imaginary person. Sure, it has the map from SR3 and characters from every SR game, but that's it. Also, I love super powers. I just find them so much fun to use. And the comedy in the missions also helped alot.

And yes, Mafia II's DLC does add free roam and manual saving. Go get it if you really want to, but you'll quickly discover that mafia II's world was NOT DESIGNED for free roam. At all. There is almost nothing to do on the map. You can change outfits, customize cars, get drunk, play missions, and cause mayhem. That's it. I mean, not only did every GTA game ever do that gameplay better, but now you have traffic laws and virtual gas to deal with. If that sounds fun to you, go right ahead. You have all of my blessings. I don't wish to prevent you from playing more of a game you like. But for me, I can never EVER love a game that made me clean toilets in prison and didn't have anything more than the car chases and gunfights I've seen in every other sandbox game to make up for it.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I loved it, even the side activities which i somewhat hated in SR3, they got much more entertaining with superpowers, even orb collecting was fun, i couldn't stop myself from collecting every single orb in sight. One thing i missed was vehicles since they became more of a liability and pretty much useless since you can glide/run/jump a lot faster then you would get there with a fragile vehicle.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
The thing that stopped me from buying SR4 was that it looked like a SR3 expansion pack: same map, same assets, new powers.