Saints Row IV Now Includes Support for Steam Workshop

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Saints Row IV Now Includes Support for Steam Workshop

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1363/1363400.jpgVolition has added Steam Workshop support to Saints Row IV, so you can expect the crazy to get turned up past 11.

Saints Row IV was, in many ways, completely over the top. You could run faster than a car, leap tall buildings in a single bound, and pretty much do almost whatever you wanted, and you could wear ridiculous outfits while you did it. Honestly, it was a lot like what happens when modders get hold of a game. So what happens when modders dive into Saints Row IV?

Well, we're about to find out. Deep Silver and Volition announced that Saints Row IV now includes support for Steam Workshop. In a statement posted to the game's newly-opened Workshop page, the company said,

"The Saints Row series is all about the freedom to play how you want, and we're now taking that one step further with Steam Workshop support for Saints Row IV PC! It's never been easier to create and install mods that add new weapons and clothing, run custom scripts, and change gameplay values. Head over to the Saints Row IV community hub in your Steam client, click the Workshop tab, and start browsing. It's just that easy!"

Apparently this wasn't an official project, but something the Volition devs did in their spare time. According to the announcement, "A handful of dedicated Volition devs worked on this in their free time to update the engine and remove memory restrictions, as well as finding a way for individual mods to interact and work correctly with each other without the need for running special tools. It was all a labor of love for our fans, and we're incredibly excited to see the crazy content you come up with!"

To celebrate, Saints Row IV is on sale for 75 percent off this week and next week (coincidentally, that roughly coincides with the dates of the Steam sale rumored to kick off later today). You can grab the game on Workshop page [http://store.steampowered.com/app/206420/] to see all the stuff modders have already added. Fair warning, as with SRIV, some of those mods will likely be NSFW.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...well that's... unexpected. I hadn't even heard of any plans for this to be a thing, though makes sense if it was some peeps doing it for fun while not working on... whatever they're working on right now.

Still kinda neat, it's... a little strange to see devs doing stuff for their fans years after release like this. Hope it works out well for anyone interested in SRIV. I *might* check it out later - it was a fun game, but not exactly one I was clamoring for a re-play, but that might change depending on how the mods go.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Unexpected, to say the very least. Not against it, however. And considering it was done by guys in their sparetime, that's even more impressive, as they weren't even supposed to do it. They just did because they thought "why not"?

Granted, it might take a bit to get some interesting mods out to begin with, but that's to be expected.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Damnit, I rather loved/love SRIV (and will probably get the Re-Elected version that's available dirt cheap on XBL right now), but unless mods come to consoles Xbox, I likely won't get to ever try them.

Bethesda proved mods can work on console, so surely other companies for other IP's can do so as well - the only big issue may be the delivery/distribution. Not all companies would have the time and resources to set up their own sites and services to support mods.

Still, I hope mods grow support for SR, and I hope the next full game matches IV's overall quality as opposed to much of the dross seen in the DLC's.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There have been pretty good mods for the game already. I wonder how exactly this changes things.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Bob_McMillan said:
There have been pretty good mods for the game already. I wonder how exactly this changes things.
Easy implementation, obviously. The previous mods requires people to jump through hoops to get them to work properly and it was not too uncommon, apparently, that a few mods were incompatible with each other. And adding new content wasn't even that easy, if not downright impossible.
Here? Typical Workshop Mods, one click and you got it. Including new (cosmetic) content.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Detective Cosmic McBeardyface said:
It's a bit late now, isn't it?

And also, I don't think people need to worry about NSFW mods for SR. NSFW seems pretty on-brand.
Well, as stated, it was something a few of the programmers did in their sparetime, not something that was officially planned. Hence why it's coming now.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
...New outfits? Well shit. Anyone who knows me, and what happens when shiny new outfits get uploaded to Skyrim. I end up playing another 20 hours.

Gonna give this some time to get some new equipment in and I'll probably go back to it.

Detective Cosmic McBeardyface said:
And also, I don't think people need to worry about NSFW mods for SR. NSFW seems pretty on-brand.
There will very likely be a mod to de-blur the nudity at some point.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm more than for this but it's kinda late now guys and, sadly, no one's even gonna know about it most likely. This really should have been done at game launch.

Furthermore, did they release an editor or SDK or anything... ?

Apr 5, 2008
This is fantastic. The devs have actually worked really closely with the community in the past, but to add this feature to the PC version all this time after release as a simple gesture from devs who made it in their spare time is a fantastic and generous gift. My SR4 is modded already but there are lots of loose files that, when used by another mod, means incompatability unless we manually modify them.

I think this is a fantastic bonus for PC gamers and will have to get another playthru in sometime in the future to make use of any mods that come out. Thank you Volition!