Saints Row - Saints Low

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yep. I never saw this quite exactly the same, but I've seen enemies do some very dumb shit, including taking out and putting away their weapons over and over again. Or just standing there while I shoot them. Or, and this is the worst one, spawning OUTSIDE THE FUCKING MISSION AREA!
So what you’re getting at is this is probably a bigger cyberpunk than Cyberpunk.

With all the shit this game seems to be deservedly getting its surprising to see how many reviews are actually still favorable-

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This reads like an amalgamation of a youtube review or two. Complete with the observations about in game controls which I have been completely unable to replicate after 4 hours with the game.

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just saying that there are comments here which are provably incorrect, and you also seem to be saying them. Hmm.

Anyway, for anyone who appreciated the hamfisted over the top parody games which are Saints Row...its more of the same, when it didn't have superpowers. Is that a good thing? Milage may vary. Im personally having a blast with it.

Edit: While I've heard many issues with bugs, my experience has been pretty clean, I'm unable to think of anything that impacted my session. I think it potentially has bad optimization though, as most bugs are being reported on older consoles and PC.
I dunno why you seem to have such a hate-boner for me dude.

I played early, you played on time. There was a day 1 patch so it's possible that a lot of bugs could be fixed.

However bugs are not the core of the game's issues. They are annoying and cause some issues but not to a super unplayable level. Removing the bugs doesn't fix the terrible writting, or the bad graphics, or the outdated gameplay design. or any of those fundamental things that make a game....oh what's the word....oh yeah! GOOD!

I even said that there are times when the game can be fun, when things are working and you are just in missions blowing shit up, there is fun to be had with the game for sure and its probably better with a co-op partner because everything is better with a friend. I'm glad you're having a blast with it, but your fun doesn't make the game good. Though to be fair, my opinions do not make a game bad. Every review is meant to just be a reference guide for what each person might or might not have fun with.

Here's an idea, review the game yourself and tell people why you think the game is good, it would be a nice counter-balance to my review and could lead to further discussions.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This game is getting ravaged by critics.

Marty's 3MR was oddly positive though. Maybe he's just too positive a guy lol

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I miss SR2... what's wrong with just being a fun loving psychopath?
Excuse me....Puckish Rogue!

This game is getting ravaged by critics.

Marty's 3MR was oddly positive though. Maybe he's just too positive a guy lol
In the streams and podcasts Marty comes across as the kind of guy who wants to be friendly with everyone, get everyone laughing and having a good time AKA something akin to the class clown. Based on that and the fact he apparently enjoyed the previous games I get the really he really did want to like it and was doing his best to find positives in it, but at the end he also says "Sunset Overdrive basically does the same thing and that was a decade ago and it's hard for me to not just recommend that instead" or something to that effect which means even then it he couldn't quite click with it, which is honestly not a good sign for the game.

As someone who likes the series much more then GTA(I've beaten a grand total of a single GTA game: Vice City. I could never get through San Andreas and that's supposed to be one of the best), I'm kinda sad this isn't that good because I was kinda looking forward to it. Then again, I played Gat Out of Hell and after that my hopes for the series aren't particularly high. I've been taking a cautious "Wait and see" attitude on this so I wasn't hyped but I am a little disappointed still.

I still own SR2-4 so I couldn't always go back and play those again. I could also play sunset overdrive which I got on sale at some point I don't remember for something cheap and never installed so I got choiced.

I also picked up the Mafia trilogy for $23(Noah Gervais keeps talking me into things and I can't decide if I'm a sucker, the man should run for public office or I just missed that much over the years) and yes, I realize those are almost nothing like SR but basically what I'm saying is I got plenty of other things I could play or replay despite SR reboot not being great.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

You can't threat/rob shop owners in a game about running a CRIMINAL EMPIRE.

How is this game a gang boss game again?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Excuse me....Puckish Rogue!
Not with that body count.

As someone who likes the series much more then GTA(I've beaten a grand total of a single GTA game: Vice City. I could never get through San Andreas and that's supposed to be one of the best)
Tommy was the best GTA protagonist because he wasn't a fucking misery guts or whiny *****.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Tommy was the best GTA protagonist because he wasn't a fucking misery guts or whiny *****.
Ray Liotta voicing Tommy helps a lot, just saying. Also, at least Tommy didn't have to take his idiot cousin bowling every 5 minutes.

But for me one of the things that SR did to tell sell me was that mission in SR3 where you jumped out a helicopter into a posh penthouse party to smash up the joint while Kayne's "Power" is blaring in the background. That game had issues but missions like that was why I show up and why I stayed.

Last edited:

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Ray Liotta voicing Tommy helps a lot, just saying.
There's that, too... but I still think he'd have been a poorer character for being a misery guts like Niko or a whiny shit like CJ.

Also, at least Tommy didn't have to take his idiot cousin bowling every 5 minutes.
I mostly played darts with Little Jacob when the game demand I do a social side mission thing... He was the only 'contact' I could stand.

But for me one of the things that SR did to tell sell me was that mission in SR3 where you jumped out a helicopter into a posh penthouse party to smash up the joint while Kayne's "Power" is blaring in the background. That game had issues but missions like that was why I show up and why I stayed.
Yeah, it's a solid setpiece and they nailed the atmosphere.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
After playing for a while with the day 1 patch installed, I honestly can't tell if they improoved anything. I've crashed three times so if anything it might be worse now. Enemies will now shoot at me without looking at me and facing completely different directions, so that's strange. Oh and I fell through the map a couple of times when getting out of a car.

It's really unbelievably how shody this game is made. I was hoping it would be a nice return to SR 1 or 2 form, but naw this is more like Ride to Hell than it is to any SR game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
After playing for a while with the day 1 patch installed, I honestly can't tell if they improoved anything. I've crashed three times so if anything it might be worse now. Enemies will now shoot at me without looking at me and facing completely different directions, so that's strange. Oh and I fell through the map a couple of times when getting out of a car.

It's really unbelievably how shody this game is made. I was hoping it would be a nice return to SR 1 or 2 form, but naw this is more like Ride to Hell than it is to any SR game.
Sounds like it’ll make for a good episode of “Wha Happuned?” someday.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Sounds like it’ll make for a good episode of “Wha Happuned?” someday.
And honestly, I wouldn't even mind the bugs if not for the fact that even if the game was bug free and polished it would still suck. The story doesn't make sesne, characters come and go like we should know them already but they are literally never mentioned outside the missions that involve them. It feels like 50% of the actual plot of the game is just missing. The characters that are there, your crew, make no sense being criminals there is no build up no explaination for their gangbangery nothing. It's like a bunch of college kids who go out and kill people between exams or whatever. It doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense, it has no build up nor does it have any payoff.

I'm legit mad because I don't understand how they can make 3 or arguably 4 great games and then just shit the bed like Amber Heard.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And honestly, I wouldn't even mind the bugs if not for the fact that even if the game was bug free and polished it would still suck. The story doesn't make sesne, characters come and go like we should know them already but they are literally never mentioned outside the missions that involve them. It feels like 50% of the actual plot of the game is just missing. The characters that are there, your crew, make no sense being criminals there is no build up no explaination for their gangbangery nothing. It's like a bunch of college kids who go out and kill people between exams or whatever. It doesn't fit, it doesn't make sense, it has no build up nor does it have any payoff.

I'm legit mad because I don't understand how they can make 3 or arguably 4 great games and then just shit the bed like Amber Heard.

What’s funny is even regardless of how shoddy the game is technically, the writing was all over the wall back when it was revealed.

Even going by comments it seems most fans predicted what was going to happen.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What’s funny is even regardless of how shoddy the game is technically, the writing was all over the wall back when it was revealed.

Even going by comments it seems most fans predicted what was going to happen.
I hate that the game doesn't look like that. The cat in-game looks placeholder and shit. UGH! I'm even more mad about this game.