Sales Slide For the Sixth Straight Month

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
I haven't bought a lot of games this year because nobody has produced anything I want to play.

I have bought two games this year so far. The first was an old title that I had been meaning to get and the last game I bought was about 4 or 5 months ago. The next game that interests me is L4D2 which comes out in 2 months.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Game sales are sliding during the recession? No. Freaking. WAY!

Also, why would one want to play fossil fighters? How exciting could it be to fight a fossil, they don't fight back!

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
6 months in a row, huh? If only there was something to explain this anomoly... something that was 6 months long. Of course we could call it a 'season' of bad game sales. and then if there were seasons of good sales, we'd have to name them. Let's call this season: Summer. when people are outside playing and vacationing in the northern hemisphere.

That, and everyone keeps delaying their f'n games....

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Maybe if they'd actually put out more than one or two good releases during this season things might be different.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Keane Ng said:
According to the sales numbers for last year compiled by research firm the NPD Group, last month saw the sixth straight month in a row of year-to-year decline for sales, down 16% from last year with $909 million.
(emphasis mine)

Frizzle said:
Of course we could call it a 'season' of bad game sales. and then if there were seasons of good sales, we'd have to name them. Let's call this season: Summer.
The numbers aren't just comparing month to month... it's comparing this August to last August. That's what they mean by "year-to-year". NPD isn't stupid, y'know.

(Sheesh, normally I'm against elitism but frankly it's starting to feel like a kindergarten class when milk-and-cookies got postponed.)

-- Steve

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Keane Ng said:
According to the sales numbers for last year compiled by research firm the NPD Group, last month saw the sixth straight month in a row of year-to-year decline for sales, down 16% from last year with $909 million.
(emphasis mine)

Frizzle said:
Of course we could call it a 'season' of bad game sales. and then if there were seasons of good sales, we'd have to name them. Let's call this season: Summer.
The numbers aren't just comparing month to month... it's comparing this August to last August. That's what they mean by "year-to-year". NPD isn't stupid, y'know.

(Sheesh, normally I'm against elitism but frankly it's starting to feel like a kindergarten class when milk-and-cookies got postponed.)

-- Steve
I've not been in the States for a while, but isn't the recession, or whatever still going on? People have less money, and they realize that 'outside' is free and fun. I'm not calling NPD stupid, they present facts. Just saying that a sales decline isn't that big of a deal when you look at the situation around you. It's quite obvious, in fact.