Sam the Man - Part II

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sam the Man - Part II

MovieBob continues his in-depth look at the filmography of Sam Raimi.

Read Full Article

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
The parallels between Raimi's career and Peter Jackson's are eerie.

Hmmmm. I really liked the new Evil Dead, but the idea of crossing cannon between the new and the old... sounds dangerous at best. I foresee some serious tone-clash, unless they plan on gradually morphing the tone of the new franchise into lighter territory, just like they did the old one... so, not impossible.

I enjoyed the career retrospective style article, and hope to see a few more in the future. Thanks, Bob.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MovieBob said:
Either way, the series was such a massive hit that it inspired a wave of fantasy/action copycats seeking to apply the Raimi/Tapert style to everything from Sinbad to Robin Hood to Mortal Kombat (yes, really).
Oh god... I thought that was just a horrible dream....

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Figures bob would still praise Spider-Man 3 after all this time. That movie made the first transformers look well written.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
WanderingFool said:
MovieBob said:
Either way, the series was such a massive hit that it inspired a wave of fantasy/action copycats seeking to apply the Raimi/Tapert style to everything from Sinbad to Robin Hood to Mortal Kombat (yes, really).
Oh god... I thought that was just a horrible dream....
It gets worse: there was also a Saturday morning cartoon.

OT: Man do I miss Herc and Xena. That's about all I have to say about this. I tried getting into Legend of the Seeker, but it took itself too seriously, it was way too mid-2000's (read: too much post 9/11 cynicism) for me to get into. Haven't seen Spartacus, since I don't get HBO (or Stars or whatever it's on. It's one of those premium channels.), but I'm kind of surprised to find out Raimi was behind it. I guess that explains why Lucy Lawless is in the cast, though.

Side note about Lucy Lawless: am I the only one who never really saw the attraction to her (the other girls, on the other hand...) in Xena, but thinks she got a lot better with age? She actually looks younger and prettier now than she did in the 90's, at least to me.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Really? The Dark Knight isn't even in you Top 5 super-hero movies?! I know Nolan's trilogy isn't perfect (Too full of itself at times, a little too self-consciously 'dark', Christian Bale's Bat-Voice, costumes that aren't actually any less ridiculous that the infamous 'Bat-Nipples'), but I would have thought at least 1 of that trilogy would be in your Top 5. Are we now so quick to dismiss everything about Nolan's films that were legitimately fantastic just because Marvel Studio's on the other side have started having more fun?

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
Am I the only one who didn't like any of the spider-man movies? I grew up on the 90s animated series so I'm pretty sure my view is extremely biased based on that... but I liked the 90s spiderman a lot more than the movie version.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Can we agree that the end of Drag Me To Hell was fucking awesome? Yes?

Knoxy

Aug 12, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Really? The Dark Knight isn't even in you Top 5 super-hero movies?! I know Nolan's trilogy isn't perfect (Too full of itself at times, a little too self-consciously 'dark', Christian Bale's Bat-Voice, costumes that aren't actually any less ridiculous that the infamous 'Bat-Nipples'), but I would have thought at least 1 of that trilogy would be in your Top 5. Are we now so quick to dismiss everything about Nolan's films that were legitimately fantastic just because Marvel Studio's on the other side have started having more fun?
Given that, in his video reviews, his usual snapshot of "Best Super Hero Movies" goes Spiderman 2, Superman 2, The Dark Knight, I would assume that this is a case where he recognises TDK as an excellent movie (and important to the history of the genre in terms of public perception ect.) but it's just not one of his personal 5 favourite super-hero movies. Kinda how like I'm never gonna try to argue that High Fidelity is a better movie than say Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, Godfather II or their ilk, but it's still my personal favourite movie of all time.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
How is it that we ALWAYS forget the most important part of the Spiderman films? THEY HAD BRUCE CAMPBELL?!?!?!

All movie reviews should start with: Did not have Bruce F*%$ing Campbell. All reviewer scores should go from 1-8, losing two points for: Not having enough Bruce Campbell.

Who could possibly forget this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffAl6oCtJNc

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
Xena and Hercules was the highlight of my 90s done by him. His relative, Ted, was hilarious as Joxer.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Hmmmm... I like Spider-Man 2 a lot, but caling it "better" than The Avengers might be stretching it out a bit and also, I don't care how you put it, Spider-Man 3 is an abomination. Well, maybe it isn't that bad, but I don't like it :mad:

As for Hercules and Xena, I loooove them both to pieces :D

Liz Smith

Apr 12, 2013
XENA brought back the TV action heroine, Floods of female action heroines(Including tv's Buffy) came AFTER it.
It does not give nearly enough credit for what it acheived

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Rogue 09 said:
The only way which the films can be viewed in a good light is in comparison to the previous Superhero movies that had come out. We'd just past through some terrible Batman movies, Superman was a perfect example of cheesy 80s movies, and X-men had only a shell of its comic book counterparts depth.

Spider-man was a decent movie for the time, but in no way could it compare with any of the more recent Marvel or DC movies which showcase actual characters. I like to think of them as a "rough rehearsal" of the actual production.
Are you kidding me? One of the primary purposes of adapting ANY form of art or literature into film is to bring that story, style AND substance, into a living format. Which Raimi's "Spider-Man" movies do in spades.

Visuals, content, story adaption and characters are all great transitions. McGuire is a well-versed feeb of a Parker and suits the character better than anyone has to date. Not saying someone COULDN'T do it better, but he does amazingly all his own. The action is wonderfully true to the comic and the cinematography is gorgeous. It looks great, even today, it sounds great and, above all, they are EXTREMELY good "Spider-Man" adaptations.

Seriously, are you kidding?

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I can't quite put my finger on why, but I really didn't care for spiderman 2, despite liking the first one.

Maybe it was the whole convoluted losing-powers-because-of-something-oh-theyre-back-now plot thread.
Maybe it was the silly AI taking over his personality buisness, because that makes all kinds of sense right?
Maybe it was me wondering why the police can't shoot Doc Oc, seeing how he's not wearing armor or anything.
Maybe it was that half the city had seen Peter's face, but no worries no one will tell.
Maybe it was how Mary Jane leaving her fiancee at the altar was played as a joke, although the guy had done nothing wrong except that his upside-down kissing skills weren't as good.

But those are all relatively small problems. Maybe they just add up for me, or maybe I was in a bad mood when watching it. Eh, either way.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Ah, Hercules and Xena, the highlight of my preteen TV experience. Sometimes they were cheesy and goofy, but it was the '90's, so I let it pass. Those 2 shows were my introduction to Bruce "The Chin" Campbell, and he is a boss. As for Spartacus, I thought I smelled the Raiminess all over that with the over-melodramatic acting and the "like-300-with-a-fraction-of-the-budget" visual effects. I cannot recall anyone on those shows speaking in the tone of a normal human being; they're either whispering at a level that's barely audible to human ears OR SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF THEIR GODDAMN LINGS TO SPOUT OFF AS MANY ANACHRONISTIC CURSE WORDS AS POSSIBLE!!!
Am I still mad at Spider-Man 3? What gave you that idea?