Samurai Warriors 4 Review - Oda The Top

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Zachary Amaranth said:
LarsInCharge said:
It isn't that they don't care about their English customers, but when the dub, they lose money over here since the series doesn't sell as well here. So they said that would rather spend the money to localize it at all for some of the fans, and save money by not hiring English VAs.
And I literally do not believe that one bit. I could not possibly believe it less. They have a history of disregarding their English (especially American) base, and it doesn't look at all like it comes down to sales.
They're one of the few companies that actually follows through with their promises to localize. They said if Dynasty 7 Empires sold well, they would localize the next one better. Sure enough, Dynasty 8 Empires is on-disc in February, possibly with English VAs.

VAs are an expensive part of localization, and as much as I love English VAs, I'd rather they drop them and continue to release the product over here at all.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
I'm crying because there is no Xbox release for this T.T

Love samurai warriors more then even dynasty warriors. Sucks that I can't play it.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Tony2077 said:
the dubbing is not that important the game play is
I know I speak for many others when I say that the voice acting forms a large part of the series' (both DW and SW) charm. My personal experience with DW7:E was definitely hampered due to lack of English voices.

OT: After falling out with SW3 I'm hoping thins one reinvigorates my love for the series.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Candidus said:
Personally, I'd say that keeping work out of the hands of abysmal US anime-circuit voice actors is actually the definition of having care for your presentation.
Warriors games typically pull from strong stock. Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien are cast regulars, and are some of the best US actors in the business. It's a long time since we had "Feel the power of my maaaagiiiiiic."

Though personally, I miss those days. :)
I'm with you all the way on the Actor's point, Jim. It's pretty frustrating when you're trying to enjoy the banter between your character and whichever rival you're currently fighting when you have to look down at the bottom of the screen every time someone says some---oh look, I just got distracted and smashed in the face by a 5 hit combo and now they're juggling me...beautiful.

Particularly in Orochi 3, I wish they had some English voice actors. Sooo many characters with so many different things to say to one another, you miss out on half the fun of the battle if you can't hear the banter between Zhao Yun and Sanada Yukimura when they clash spears!

Don't get me wrong, I'm one of those guys that does prefer his anime with the original Japanese voices...but I don't have to play anime, just watch it.

As for the game itself, I've been looking forward to this one...sadly with the approaching holidays and my budget rather tight, I doubt I'll be able to pick it up till next year.

And by the way Jim, I don't suppose you'd happen to know if they intend to bring Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires over here to the states any time soon? If at all?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
GZGoten said:
Warriors Orochi has Ayane and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden
Just as a heads up: Orochi 3 on the PS4 also has Kasumi from DoA as well as Momiji and Rachel from Ninja Gaiden. Oh! It's also got Sophitia from Soul Calibur.

If you're thinking of getting a Warriors game, I'd say Warriors Orichi 3 Ultimate is the best bang for your buck...there's just an obscene amount of characters not just from DW and SW but from various other IP's as well.

Hell, it's even got Achilles and Joan of Arc. =3

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
So far, they've only ported the DW games, right?

No Samurai, Gundam, Orochi, Fist of the North star?
Orochi was ported too.

Anyway, totally with Jim re: dubbing. I can't stand that modern Warriors games are only in Japanese (or have nothing at all, like Hyrule Warriors. You could argue they were going with a Zelda convention there but it hurts the game). It was soooooo much better being able to keep your focus on the fight rather than the text boxes.

In fact, I much prefer the pre-HD warriors games. Fewer enemies, environment details and shadows, plus more vibrant colours kept all the combat clean and clear. I was playing DW8 a little while ago and found it much harder to tell who was or wasn't on my team.

DW3 is still the best IMO.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
RJ 17 said:
And by the way Jim, I don't suppose you'd happen to know if they intend to bring Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires over here to the states any time soon? If at all?
It's already been confirmed for a Q1/Spring 2015 release, and there should be an English trailer soon.

Unfortunately we don't know if it will have English voices.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ChupathingyX said:
RJ 17 said:
It's already been confirmed for a Q1/Spring 2015 release, and there should be an English trailer soon.

Woo-hoo! Thanks for the heads up! :D

Last Empires I got to play was DW6 Empires. Lotta people rip on DW6 but I like it. Reading up on all the stuff that they did with DW7 Empires (such as being able to insert your created characters as official generals in a chosen faction), I really regretted for the first time that I had gone with a 360 instead of a PS3. But now I've got a PS4 so I don't have to miss out on any of my Warrior goodness! :D

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
Tony2077 said:
the dubbing is not that important the game play is
I know I speak for many others when I say that the voice acting forms a large part of the series' (both DW and SW) charm. My personal experience with DW7:E was definitely hampered due to lack of English voices.

OT: After falling out with SW3 I'm hoping thins one reinvigorates my love for the series.
i got over that with record of agreast war

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
ChupathingyX said:
RJ 17 said:

if they keep up what there doing i doubt there will be but not a problem

Aristatide

Jul 19, 2014
Bigeyez said:

Love samurai warriors more then even dynasty warriors. Sucks that I can't play it.
Fistbump of solidarity. Dynasty Warriors 5 was actually the second modern console game I played (I went from a SNES to a late-gen PS2, but of a jump) and I imprinted on it like a little duckling, but SW2 was the one I fell in love with. (And WO1 is my favorite of the series, perhaps in part because holy crap, there's like an actual plot and character interaction to this, did not see that coming.) I've never had the funds to have more than one console a gen and that usually later into the gen, and I got a steal on a 360 so here I am, SW-less for years.

Also, I've studied enough of the Sengoku period to go "Poor Kagetora, beaten again at the announcement that Kagekatsu is in.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Bigeyez said:

How do you think I feel. As a WiiU owner the only games I get are Hyrule Warriors (awesome) and Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (would be fine if the enemy pop-in wasn't so horrendous). I'm goin to be really annoyed if that's all I ever get.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Koei why must you torture me by always breathing new life into the franchise when new consoles I won't be buying for years (if ever) come out. x.x

Edit: but then I see it's also on PS3. :D Huzzah~

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
GZGoten said:
Warriors Orochi has Ayane and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden
Just as a heads up: Orochi 3 on the PS4 also has Kasumi from DoA as well as Momiji and Rachel from Ninja Gaiden. Oh! It's also got Sophitia from Soul Calibur.

If you're thinking of getting a Warriors game, I'd say Warriors Orichi 3 Ultimate is the best bang for your buck...there's just an obscene amount of characters not just from DW and SW but from various other IP's as well.

Hell, it's even got Achilles and Joan of Arc. =3
whoa that sounds awesome! Does the VTA version have them all too? I heard the framerate was horrible and that a patch was coming, did it ever come out?

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Honestly, that was one of the best things about Warriors games.

God, I miss the cheese.
Jimothy Sterling said:
Candidus said:
Personally, I'd say that keeping work out of the hands of abysmal US anime-circuit voice actors is actually the definition of having care for your presentation.
Warriors games typically pull from strong stock. Yuri Lowenthal and Liam O'Brien are cast regulars, and are some of the best US actors in the business. It's a long time since we had "Feel the power of my maaaagiiiiiic."

I personally really like most of the voice acting in the newer dynasty warriors games, sure it?s over the top and cheesy but so are the games, so the lack of english voice acting for sw4 is really disappointing.

The thing about the voice acting in dynasty warriors 3 is that only a small part of it is really funny, most of it is just incredibly wooden.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Candidus said:

Witness the MIRRRAACLE!

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
GZGoten said:
whoa that sounds awesome! Does the VTA version have them all too?
Yes it does.

I heard the framerate was horrible and that a patch was coming, did it ever come out?
Haven't played it myself, but from what I've gathered the framerate is alright while the pop-in is bad.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Im interested, I loved the second Samurai Warriors, adored the 5th Dynasty Warriors game and enjoyed my time in Orochi. Ill check it out when my GF gets a PS4!

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
Japanese voiceovers are fine by me. English are fine too, but it doesn't take anything away imo.

Not so much "better" or "the same" as "I can't tell if it sucks or not since I don't speak Japanese and thus have no frame of reference". That said, the English voiceovers for the newer Warriors series games are miles and miles better than they were for original SW or DW 3/4/5.

3 and 4, at least were funny as fuck. 5, on the other hand was the only Warriors game I can honestly say I disliked and the VA work was part of it. Sup, Cow Pee?

Hope to God there's a PC port, because I really don't want to buy a current-gen console.