Sandbox Survival Horror?

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
There are plenty of free roaming games around these days, but why are they all essentialy action/fantasy?

What would you think of a sandbox world for survival horror, (note, not infinite ammo zombie slaying action horror) or has it already been done?

Thoughts?

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
The STALKER series is pretty close to what you're looking for there. Also, New Vegas with hardcore mode on, plus some mods to make the game scarier and More Hardcore Hardcore mode type mods should whet your appetite on that front.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well there is Dead Rising 1&2 and sort of Prototype but i prefer an actual city kind of like raccoon city from the Resident evil series to be my zombie sandbox city since it would initially look scary and bring back my preteen memories of playing one of the best zombie games ever created.

So in a way it has sort have been done but not with a city with actual George Romero style zombies.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Fallout 3/NV with some mods can create an awesome Free Roaming Survival Horror game

I call my version of Fallout NV: "Resident Evil: New Vegas"

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Look up Dead Island. It's been in developement for about as long as Duke Nukem Forever it feels like.

But it is exactly what you want. >.> You'll have it....eventually.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well unfortunately We do seem to be getting inundated with Zombie related media lately, so I can see this occuring before too long. Honestly, if they do it, they should do so without any sort of main story line. The notion is just pure survival, and all the missions are either all independent of each other, or some are tightly contained together in pockets. If your going to do sandbox, actually do sandbox and not this "were calling it sandbox but were still going to guide you through it in a subtly linear fashion" Yes, let the people create their own story line in essence.

Actually this gets me wondering how much longer its going to be before the Horde of zombies starts to infect other genres, such as a pure zombie themed RPG from Bioware, or the like. Or perhaps an action platformer zombie game.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Depending upon the number of restrictions you apply to the term 'sandbox gaming':
Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 2. (they got pretty contained and linear after that point).

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
"I Am Alive" is suppose to be coming out this year. It will be a survival game but I am not sure if it will be a sandbox or have any "horror" in it.

MrEnigami

Nov 23, 2010
Why has nobody said "Minecraft" yet? That game scares me.

Scares alot of people.

Games don't get more "Sandbox" or "Survival" than Minecraft, and the game is damned scary too.

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
Ah the thing is though that whilst stalker and FO:NV may have horror elements, they are essentialy shooters. Apologies for not being clear in the original post, but I was holding up empowering zombie slaughter-fests (like deadrising) as an example of what I didn't mean by survival horror.

I was thinking a freeroaming survival horror more to the tune of silent hill or the old resident evils. Do you think there would be a market for that kind of scarce ammo, atmosphere based game?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Has nobody played Deadly Premonition? Granted, the horror parts are linear, but it has open world parts with sidequests the rest of the time.

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
scnj said:
Has nobody played Deadly Premonition? Granted, the horror parts are linear, but it has open world parts with sidequests the rest of the time.
Never heard of it, any good? "I Am Alive" sounds like it might be closer to what i'm thinking

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
cube5 said:
scnj said:
Never heard of it, any good? "I Am Alive" sounds like it might be closer to what i'm thinking
Admittedly it's not great. The team clearly had loads of ambition, but stretched themselves too thin. On the upside, it's pretty cheap.

cube5

Jan 15, 2011
scnj said:
cube5 said:
scnj said:
Admittedly it's not great. The team clearly had loads of ambition, but stretched themselves too thin. On the upside, it's pretty cheap.
Ah shame, sounds pretty good. Thanks for the recommendation though, might pick it up at some point.