Satisfying Endings[Obvious Possibility of Spoilers]

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Why are Satisfying endings so rare? Is it because at the end of the day, no one wants to see something they love come to an end? Is it really that hard to write up a good conclusion to a long standing series of events? Is it just anecdotal on my part, or do many a series seem to end on a low note compared to the build up of events that lead to it. Examples of which(Spoilered for your convenience.)

I'll start this out by saying I greatly enjoyed the books as a boy. While they lost some of their luster as time went on, still an enjoyed read. The ending however, was just. Well, pure Deus Ex Machina. No early build up, no established plot lines other than the cape. Just, bleh, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Honestly, I don't know how I would've ended this one. Speaking as a Writer, I've got to say the man wrote himself into a proverbial corner. The fact that Roland finally reaches the tower only to have his mind erased and the chace begin anew time and again, is, cruel. I mean, yes, he deserves punishment for his actions, for his undying need to reach the tower. But that's pushing it a bit far.

An ending I didn't entirely see coming-but granted, that's more than likely my own damn fault. The Boxes of Orden were explained and introduced from the very first book, so you can't fault the author for Deus Ex Machina ala Harry Potter. And ultimately, dividing the world into two separate universes, one with and one without magic was a fair way of finding the balance that many people wanted. I'd give it a fair pass given the difficulty of writing such a long running series and maintaining a fair degree of writing skill. All in all, I'd give this one a "ended well, satisfied with the finish."

From the very first-ish episode, the end game boss was and always will be, Fire Lord Ozai. So, they had a clear goal and an established ending. Avatar Aang would face the Fire Lord, eventually. What would come of it was up in the air. While many argue that the Lion Turtle was a Deus Ex machina moment and I do agree with that assessment, after what we learned in Korra Season 2, I'm more willing to give that moment a pass. Having rewatched the series a few days ago, I noticed the prevailing theme was choice. Avatar Aang knew he would eventually be faced with the dilemna of killing the Fire Lord, despite how much it would hurt him to do so. He faced this eventuality, choosing to forge his path as best he could, struggling with the knowledge that it might ultimately come to that. Upon finding the Lion Turtle(Whom, as I said in Korra Season 2, was shown to be a great spiritual creature.) he did all he could do. He asked for help with his dilemna, he chose to submit himself to the ultimate point he feared he might reach. But because of his determination, he was shown a method of doing what needed to be done without crossing the line he was terrified to cross. Because of his willingness to do it if he needed to, he gained the strength needed to bend the energy of a man as driven by passion as Ozai himself.

I tried offering two examples of good endings and two, not so good. I don't know if it just boils down to me not liking endings, or if it's just that common to find endings are just lacking. I know Video Games have left me with a bad taste in my mouth of late as well. Especially Far Cry 3(Who's ending I won't touch because my spoiler boxes refuse to work at this point, so bleh.)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silent Hill 2 can have either a very satisfying ending or not, which in turn isn't very satisfying when you know what to do and what not to do to manipulate the ending you get.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I thought Ugly Betty ended well.

Four entire seasons of the most drama-heavy shit you can imagine. To quote myself, "They treat every episode like it's a season finale! What are they going to do for the season finale?" But it ends very well, patching up a lot of relationships and making quite a bit of progress for all the characters involved. The show ends as a simultaneous end and a new beginning for the main character, which me and my ouroboros self just loves.

I also thought Supernatural had a great ending, if we're counting the Season 5 ending as the ending. So much closure, so much satisfaction, that my lover and I don't want to continue onto the next season because we feel as though the show should have perfectly well ended where it was meant to.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I liked how Burn Notice ended. Sure, the final season was lack luster.
Mike and Fiona living in Ireland(?), presumed dead by the US government, with his nephew Charlie (Nate's son), trying to figure out how to explain himself and what had happened to Charlie's father and grandmother. So, Fiona tells Mike to tell Charlie the truth, to say "My name is Michael Weston, I used to be a spy...", thus turning the entire series, especially spy tips commentary, into a recapitulation for Charlie.

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
The film is pretty depressing, sure there are jokes and it is a comedy but as you watch the film, Frances slowly becomes sadder and sadder to you. But in the end she gets back with her friend, choreographs her own dance and even finally gets her own apartment with the implication of her finding love with her former roommate. While it may kind of go against what the film was going for but it does let the viewer not feel this crushing sense of sadness when the film ends, and I like that, not something a lot of modern indie films go for.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You're gonna make me mention The Last of Us and have me come across like a giant fanboy again, aren't ya? But yeah, that game. The ending was perfect.

So was Journey's. That game could've ended either way and still be beautiful. And it probably did end either way. If you've played the game you'll know what I mean by that.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Panty and Stocking with Gartderbelt.

No, seriously.

I don't get why everyone views the PSG ending as the "worst ending evaaaaar" because it was so obviously a parody of the very thing everyone was so upset about.
Essentially everything that relates to anything was completely resolved into a neat little package before the credits rolled... and then all of that work is instantly undone, we find out that Stocking was a demon the whole time, and the framing device for a hypothetical second season is immediately laid out, complete with a "to be continued in next season!" card at the very end.
And then there was no second season.

Every other fan on the face of the earth seems to think that Gainax was "trolling them" or whatever, but I really don't get that at all, this ending is EXACTLY how PSG should have ended, with an over-the-top, out of nowhere, and most importantly UNEXPECTED sequence that has no rhyme or reason and exists for the sole purpose subverting your expectations.
Gainax knew exactly what they were doing, they had NO intention of following this up, and frankly, how the hell would they? Brief, Garter, and presumably the sisters going on a scavenger hunt to collect 666 pieces of Panty so they can... stitch her back together? That is such a formulaic premise, and if there's one mission PSG sets out to do (other then deliver sex/body positive feminist subtext and symbolism in an intentionally unlikely context to deliver the message on multiple levels... which is something I REALLY need to start a thread on one of these days...) it's subvert and destroy formula.
You've seen this kind of sequel bating before, it's become a trope in and of itself, and by delivering the most ludicrous, plot destroying, slap in the face to everything you know they were parodying the very concept of the sequel bait ending, and the irony is that the people falling for it are the other half of the joke, they just don't realize it.

Panty and Stocking's completely unsatisfying ending is, in my opinion, the most satisfying way it could have ended, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Yeah PSG is pretty much my favorite anime, TV, pop culture... THING ever.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Amelie had a great ending. What can I say? I'm a sucker for that haircut.
[/center][/spoiler]

...which seems all the more strange when I say that I also truly love the original Red Dawn from the 80's. Think of it this way:
[spoiler=Red Dawn spoilers]No one today would make a movie in which the majority of its young, up-and-coming stars end up dead at the end.[/spoiler]

And I guess I'll add 30 Days of Night to the pile. If you haven't seen it, it's kind of depressing. Not as depressing as The Road, but 30 Days of Night concludes in a manner that stays true to the overall film, which is to say, very harshly.​

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I think the ending to the Fullmetal Alchemist manga was pretty good. Brought a lot of closure to the characters and story that was sadly lost in its alternative anime version, which, in contrast, had an atrocious finale (I?m counting the movie as well).

Also, maybe I?m one of the few people that think this, but I didn?t really have any problem with the ending of Friends. Although that might be more to do with the fact that it?s one of my favourite sitcoms, I?ve watched all the episodes multiple times, and even the last season has its memorably funny moments.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Code Geass, the second season can be described as charming at best or a giant steaming pile steaming shit at worst. But I think the ending was realy realy good.

Leon Also has a great ending
yes it is sad but you can't help but think FOCK YEAH when Stansfield gets blown up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Riven (Myst II) has pretty much the best, most satisfying and conclusive ending ever. It has precisely one unanswered question, What happened to the guy who fell into the Starfield? which the series answers marvelously two games later in the weird/awesome MMO the series had.

It's so conclusive, in fact, that when they made the following sequels, they had to reference mostly all the unanswered questions from the first game, because the second game only had one.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Not for narrative reasons, but Bayonetta is the only ending I ever talk about (I don't usually care much about endings).

Because of PUNCHING GOD INTO THE SUN.

I quite like indefinite or implied endings; 'Aguirre, the Wrath of God' comes to mind. No, I wasn't trying to include something a bit more highbrow after Bayonetta.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Puella Magi Madoka Magica had a really excellent ending.

We get humanity basically lashing out the callous nature of the universe, and a conclusive moment for nearly every character. It ends on a hopeful note, but acknowledges that the world is never perfect, and that we should always fight for a better future.

Contrast the sequel movie which

Doesn't have an ending, basically. You think it's gonna tie up one character's arc, then it suddenly goes batshit and introduces a bunch of new conflicts 10 minutes before the film ends.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Persona 4: Golden true ending epilogue. It's just so good and sweet.
So our hero returns to his beloved town after some time and what does he see? Change. Change for good. He sees previously depressed and declining town becoming something bigger. He sees how people embrace new ideas and opportunities. And then he sees how his friends changed. And that's the best part. We've seen their journey and now, through their design alone, we see how much they have changed. And then they proceed to... enjoy their meal and talk. And that's it. And that's awesome. And that's so god damn sweet.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
The first Darkness game had a pretty satisfying ending. You get your revenge, you meet up with Jenny for one last feels sesh, all in all a nice way to end it.

Red Dead Redemption had a sweet ending as well, well at least it was good in terms of when Marston (Marsden?) gets his end. It fit nicely with the tone and taking 6 of those fuckers down with me was pretty good.

Mortal Kombat 9 had a really good ending too. Shao Kahn was so fucking hard to beat that when you finally did it was like... well here's a music clip that sums it up nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZs0_TQhjz8

Mass Effect 3 was quite satisfying for me personally

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
RAiKE8 said:
Puella Magi Madoka Magica had a really excellent ending.

We get humanity basically lashing out the callous nature of the universe, and a conclusive moment for basically every character. It ends on a hopeful note, but acknowledges that the world is never perfect, and that we should always fight for a better future.

Contrast the sequel movie which

Doesn't have an ending, basically. You think it's gonna tie up one character's arc, then it suddenly goes batshit and introduces a bunch of new conflicts 10 minutes before the film ends.
I would say it is the other way around really.

At the end of the original series and first two movies nothing drastic has changed. Madoka has sacrificed herself to prevent the magical girls turning into witches and also managed to prevent Mami and Kyouko's deaths as well as defeating Walpurgis Night.

However the cycle of hope and despair remains. The Incubators are still manipulating girls into contracts to counter entropy and they still fight Shades until they die or fall into despair.

Compare this to Homura's ending.

The cycle is broken with no more magical girls and witches.
The Incubators are cowed by Homura.
Madoka is alive, normal and happy as are the others (only Sayaka remembers anything).

Homura's actions were selfish (as she ignored Madoka's wishes and decision by taking her power), but ultimately everybody is better off. I would say that is more conclusive than the original ending where they are still fighting.

The original series is about selfless love (Madoka's sacrifice). Rebellion is about selfish love (Homura taking control). That's why it turns out how it did.

That is not to say that I disliked the original ending, far from it. But Rebellion does also end satisfyingly as well in my opinion, despite how bittersweet it is.