Satoru Iwata Re-Elected as Nintendo President

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Well, do you think they should go software only?

Either way, Nintendo shouldn't drop the Wii U.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
ZippyDSMlee said:
AS for the comparisons with Sega, Sega stopped producing consistent quality titles long before the Dreamcast failed.
Nah, Sega was utterly fucked before the Dreamcast. If they had sticked with either the Genesis, Sega CD or the 32X for a longer time instead of rushing the Saturn as a catch-up attempt they will still be into the console business.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
ZippyDSMlee said:
I still think nin would be better off to get out of the console biz and sell normal games for 80$ a pop and portable ports for 40-50$ a shot.

All the 3D Zelda games on the PS4 for 40$ a pop(albeit for the newest) SIGN ME UP!!!!
As for peripherals nin can make up whatever they want just give MS/Sony a 10% cut off the profits of the peripheral.

The older I get the more I loath exclusives...... just put it out on all platforms and up the price a bit already....

AS for the comparisons with Sega, Sega stopped producing consistent quality titles long before the Dreamcast failed.
Many people say the Dreamcast had one of the best lineups ever before it was discontinued. It had Shenmue, Puyo Pop, Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5, Samba De Amigo, the list goes on.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
AJ_Lethal said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Nah, Sega was utterly fucked before the Dreamcast. If they had sticked with either the Genesis, Sega CD or the 32X for a longer time instead of rushing the Saturn as a catch-up attempt they will still be into the console business.
In part but a lack of more quality titles is what put the death nail in it.

VG_Addict said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I still think nin would be better off to get out of the console biz and sell normal games for 80$ a pop and portable ports for 40-50$ a shot.

All the 3D Zelda games on the PS4 for 40$ a pop(albeit for the newest) SIGN ME UP!!!!
As for peripherals nin can make up whatever they want just give MS/Sony a 10% cut off the profits of the peripheral.

The older I get the more I loath exclusives...... just put it out on all platforms and up the price a bit already....

Many people say the Dreamcast had one of the best lineups ever before it was discontinued. It had Shenmue, Puyo Pop, Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5, Samba De Amigo, the list goes on.
Don't forget Skies of Arcadia.

And yet it still died because if did not have enough quality titles. It had some but it just was not enough to keep the system afloat. The WIIU is in the same boat but unlike Sega they have enough backup funds to keep going for another system or 2.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
ZippyDSMlee said:
AJ_Lethal said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

VG_Addict said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

And yet it still died because if did not have enough quality titles. It had some but it just was not enough to keep the system afloat. The WIIU is in the same boat but unlike Sega they have enough backup funds to keep going for another system or 2.
No, it failed because Sega could no longer afford to keep selling it. They were already bleeding money at that point, and they were selling the Dreamcast at a loss, and Shenmue had an outrageous budget.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
ZippyDSMlee said:
AJ_Lethal said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

VG_Addict said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

You still got it wrong. Sega burned everybody with the quick firing of the Sega CD, the rushed and complicated as shit 32X and the even more rushed and complicated Saturn in a span of 5 fucking years. By the time Sega got its shit together with the Dreamcast their financial status was pretty much written on the wall.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
AJ_Lethal said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
AJ_Lethal said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

VG_Addict said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

You still got it wrong. Sega burned everybody with the quick firing of the Sega CD, the rushed and complicated as shit 32X and the even more rushed and complicated Saturn in a span of 5 fucking years. By the time Sega got its shit together with the Dreamcast their financial status was pretty much written on the wall.
You are correct to a point.(hell I bought a Sega CD and 32X but was very late on the Dreamcast band wagon since the PS2 was better game wise) The difference here is Nintendo has money where Sega did not. And it goes without saying if they had proper high quality games of Shining Force,Phantasy Star(not PSO),Streets of Rage, and half a dozen other properties it could have stem the tide long enough to keep the Dreamcast afloat with limited production. So while yes the console zerg rush did alot of damage the lack of games IMO finished it off.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Toadfish1 said:
Rellik San said:
Toadfish1 said:
KazeAizen said:
Toadfish1 said:
Rellik San said:
Neronium said:
Rellik San said:
" or "1080p gaming? Nintendoes that."
Slight correction, if Nintendo were to advertise that then they'd be slapped with false advertising. The Wii U can't do 1080p native, or FullHD. It can upscale to 1080p, just like how the Xbox 360 and PS3 could, but it can't naturally do it.
Ah I wasn't aware of that, but regardless, I stand by my point, they need next year when all those games come out to launch a seriously aggressive marketing campaign.
So their only chance is to wade into a battlefield they are hilariously outclassed in? Yes, the sort of games that the WiiU is making allow them to hit 1080p 60FPS easily, much like the Ps3 was able to hit that back in 2008 with Wipeout HD. But the specs render them woefully outdated compared to the PS4 and Xbone, and if they try to claim they are capable of better visuals they'll be laughed out of the market.

As for trying to push their "hardcore" games, I doubt a single non die-hard is going to be fooled that Dynasty Warriors Zelda is anything other than Dynasty Warriors with skins slapped on, and thus about as worth playing as any Dynasty Warriors Extreme Alpha Legends Whatever, Bayonetta will continue to be played by a small group of people who need to see a therapist, and Splatoon will be treated with the respect a tech demo for a downloadable game like that deserves.
There is so much cynicism here I can't even begin to process it.
I wasn't aware optimism could make 1 GB of RAM equal to 8 GB's of RAM.
By that logic, those people who care about specs are playing on a PC with 64gigs of RAM and looking to upgrade to DDR4 later this year... after all I wasn't aware optimism could make 8gigs of ram equal to 64gigs of RAM. If specs were everything, then no console would see ever, when people can buy a better gaming PC for around the same price if they are reasonably smart about it.

The thing is, people don't really care about specs on consoles and those that do are just laughed at by the PC Master Race and rightfully so. Right now we have 2 consoles claiming to be more powerful but are so poorly optimised they can't manage consistent frame rates half the time and have almost nothing of value in terms of exclusives to offer at the moment.

Nintendo can maintain a solid frame rate and have built up a decent library of games for everyone, they need to push that aspect, not pushing the "hardcore" but pushing for everything, the self proclaimed "hardcore" are CoD playing morons, the real Hardcore game on PC, so obviously the "hardcore" isn't Nintendo's market, however... PC Gamers and people who want a console for family time are and heres why:
Of all the consoles Wii U offers PC Gamers experiences they literally can't get anywhere else, experiences there is nothing analogous too on their platform and people looking for a family entertainment system will eat up 4 play same/split screen co-op for fun.
Thank you, man from a place where money is infinite. However, people who actually are budget conscious feel that a $300 machine like the WiiU does nothing to justify itself compared to the $400 machines like the Ps4 and Xbox One.
I'm just saying as you seemed to assert, that if specs were what drove the market, no one would bother with consoles and as for saying "The Wii U doesn't justify itself" well what does the Xbox and PS4 do to justify themselves at the minute, what games are available that I could only get for one of those consoles that I couldn't already play on my PC? (Which is actually of modest spec I was using hyperbole to make a point).

Also by your logic if "the most powerful console is worth investment to the layman" the Gamecube should have stormed the competition.

ZippyDSMlee said:
You're kidding right, the Saturn had great first party line up and it's third party wasn't bad either, so ok, lets forget Sonic R, instead look at: NiGHTS, Shining Force 3, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon, Zwei and Saga, Dark Saviour, Virtua On: Cyber Troopers, Virtua Fighter, Mystaria, Clockwork Knight, Daytona USA, Dragon Force... and that's just what Sega put out.

What killed the Saturn was price point and lack of decent marketing campaign, the Dreamcast had a great marketing campaign (in the UK at least) and a stellar line up, but in compensating for the cost of the Saturn, it was too cheap and way too ambitious (A console with online functionality and VGA support for higher resolution games (which could also be modded to be 720p). The DC was a 360 before the original XBox was even out.