Saving Derpy Hooves...

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Noooooo, once again parents are interfering with cartoons.

Parents please, if you do not like what your child is watching on TV or playing on a computer game then turn the machine off. Without electricity the equipment in front of you which is so obviously damaging your precious offspring is nothing more than a lump of plastic and metal.

Plus, if you are so obviously concerned with your child`s perception of the mentally handicapped, because children cannot make the distinction between real people and a green talking pony, why not volunteer down at the local centre for the "differently abled" children among them. I can imagine that at many schools they do not permit students with ADHD, down's syndrome, autism and other such unfortunate illnesses to mingle with your children at school (you never know, it could be contagious).

My point is instead of banning what you perceive as negative, why not bring in a positive stimulus to challenge your children's perspective. Maybe people will say things like `this cartoon/game/tv show/ is offensive/damaging' but do nothing to create something positive. I used the comment about the "contagious" part to illustrate that although people will try to 'protect` those who are different, they will still treat them like the plague when face to face. I grew up with an autistic sibling and my parents friends had a severely disabled child who I also spent a lot of time with. This experience certainly did a lot more good than the efforts my parents made to ban me from certain TV shows (namely Power Rangers).

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
Hell! I dont even like my little pony and I'm gonna sign this thing!

too many good things get ruined by so called "Moral Crusaders" these days.
its even gotten to the point where people are suing pokemon for popularising the concept of evolution and the original popeye has to be shown on adult-swim these days due to the "Intense Violence."

MLP fans, I salute you!

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
no, you didn't miss a thread. We don't talk about pony stuff in the forums, come to our usergroup for that.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Pinkamena said:
no, you didn't miss a thread. We don't talk about pony stuff in the forums, come to our usergroup for that.
Actually, this thread has been going rather well. I don't think we necessarily need to institute pony apartheid to keep the peace, just limit the forum stuff to topics that actually merit their own thread.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Aidinthel said:
Pinkamena said:
Actually, this thread has been going rather well. I don't think we necessarily need to institute pony apartheid to keep the peace, just limit the forum stuff to topics that actually merit their own thread.
Agreed, the thread is primarily pony related, but also is a cause for good debate, over politically correct and such.
Anyway this debate has already been of huge debate in chat, at least I think it has.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
excusablegold said:
Hell! I dont even like my little pony and I'm gonna sign this thing!

too many good things get ruined by so called "Moral Crusaders" these days.
its even gotten to the point where people are suing pokemon for popularising the concept of evolution and the original popeye has to be shown on adult-swim these days due to the "Intense Violence."

MLP fans, I salute you!
Please tell me that I didn't just read that.

Please.

;_;

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
Jesus ass fucking Christ! I got to like the 0:50 mark before I had to stop. God I hope the person who did that voice dies in a fire made of horse hooves.

If thats the voice of this derpy character then sure, kill it. Kill it gamedogs style.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Random Fella said:
Anyway this debate has already been of huge debate in chat, at least I think it has.
*shrug* Probably, but there's no way to know because the chat simply isn't designed for any serious lengthy discussion. Which, come to think of it, is yet another reason why we shouldn't limit ourselves to the group.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Monkeyman O said:
If thats the voice of this derpy character then sure, kill it. Kill it gamedogs style.
It isn't, that's a fanon voice of the character
Here is the canon voice
It's not the voice i'd choose, but the voice actor did say she thought she was voicing a male.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Ugh. While I'm not offended by the name "Derpy," it did strike a chord with me. It sounded extremely jarring and out of place, and smacked of pandering to the fanbase. If they'd have left it at Ditzy Doo as they implied before (I'm not sure if they ever directly called her Ditzy) it would have been better. Sure, we can argue the semantics of the actual canon name, but "Derpy" just sounded odd when I heard it.

While parents getting into an uproar over it being insulting is laughable and rather silly, I can't say I harbor much love for the name "Derpy Hooves" being canon.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Moontouched-Moogle said:
If it bothers you, just assume that Rainbow Dash was using an insulting nickname (Basically a less offensive "Careful, dumbass.")

Also this shirt is amazingly relevant.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
ThatLankyBastard said:
Many, if not all MLP fans, know who Derpy Hooves is. She is a fan favourite character distinguished by her crossed eyes (an animator's accident during production turned fan nod-off) and hilariously ditzy ways. Simply put she is loved the internet round.

...which was why I was shocked to find that she is so controversial, even mores that I haven't heard anything about it on the Escapist (did I miss a thread on this or am I really the only one who knows... or cares?). Anyways, Hasbro has been receiving complaints from what can only be assumed as Helicopter-Parents saying that the character is mocking people with mental disabilities and should be completely changed: the crossed-eyes, the voice, the "Ditzy Character" thing, the whole package.

Do you find the term "derpy" offensive? I sure don't... What is The Escapists thoughts on this?

[sub][sub]Should probably put a source on this or something... I don't know I don't usually make threads... [/sub][/sub]

Source: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/small-update-on-derpy-overall.html

ALSO: If you don't think this is the right thing to do, actually like MLP and Derpy Hooves the way it is, or just really wanna fuck with some Helicopter-Parents then you should add your name to this petition! Join the other 25 000 people in the fight to save Derpy Hooves!

http://www.change.org/petitions/hasbro-studiosthe-hub-do-not-change-derpys-name#

[sub][sub]...best I can do, now back to trolling threads[/sub][/sub]
I'm not being funny but my first thought on hearing the character was that her voice was offensive. They could have given her a valley girl voice or something instead.

I don't have kids I'm just a regular lass in her 20's who understands memes.

Personally, I don't think the name Derpy Hooves is that good either really I much preferred 'Ditzy Bubbles' A name I'm sure I saw Lauren Faust mention somewhere. Her name is not really offensive though.

I love the show so please don't assume I'm just being awkward or anything.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Ditzy Bubbles.
I've never heard "Ditzy Bubbles" before.

And the voice is the result of the actress thinking Derpy was male for some reason. A lot of people think this sort of error was appropriate given that mistakes are part of the nature of the character.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Aidinthel said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Ditzy Bubbles.
I've never heard "Ditzy Bubbles" before.

And the voice is the result of the actress thinking Derpy was male for some reason. A lot of people think this sort of error was appropriate given that mistakes are part of the nature of the character.
I think I saw it on a discussion on Faust's Deviant art page something along the lines of 'We were thinking of calling her Ditzy Bubbles (hence the bubbles cutie mark) or something.'

Might of been the only time it was mentioned though.

Like I said my first reaction, to the voice, was that it was offensive before I even saw the argument online, so I don't think it's strange that other people had that reaction.

The part where she says 'Nice work Rainbow Dash' is particularly cringeworthy. I think maybe the voice actress should tone it down a little bit rather than they delete the character altogether.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
*double face palm*
Whats wrong with the name "Derpy"?

Ive never seen it as slang for a mentally retarded person. ((Unless you consider most of the CoD or LoL player base to have some sort of mental retardation.))

The term "Derp" is used for a funny face, or when someone screws up. I have never seen a single instance where it was meant in a derogatory way against the mentally ill.

And considering shes not suffering from mental retardation on the show itself, i dont see how it could be taken offensively. Sure, shes a klutz. But if your allowed to have cartoons like "Sponge Bob" featuring FAR WORSE then this, you cant complain about thing like this.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
i wouldnt cause there isnt really any need to (She sounds more uncoordinated and unable to make that connection, but not blantantly retarded), but honestly id like to see them just to see the bronies and pegasisses go out and protest holding up signs of her saying she should stay the way she is just cause I'd find that hysterical.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
For.I.Am.Mad said:
They just need to redo the voice. I could see people raising an eyebrow. I think they might have been trying to go for a female Butter's voice but instead they got Cartman doing an impression of a mentally disabled person. Eeek.

Now the last episode. Chemo pony and crazy pony. NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! In the context of the show that type of humor doesn't work. Smart ass brony may like it but everybody else is going 'Huh?'.
Yeah I gotta admit, the voice did throw me a little bit. I think if they were to change that they would pretty much be in the clear hopefully. I agree with Mad on this, it just didn't end up turning out well and we got that voice instead of a cute one.

That little daemon in the back of my head was going "Someone's gonna ***** about her voice, just you wait Sec" and here we are with some mini-van parents trying to kill the show.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
They've already confirmed that they aren't changing the name. I saw an email on Reddit.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I thought Ditzy was the fan name for Derpy's child?

Anyway, as a couple of people have said already. They aren't changing it.