Saving the Final Fantasy series.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Onmi said:
Again the all important point. Why do people think it needs 'Saving' again?
Because some fanboy of the old said so. I pointed at the metacritic scores, and they're on your side. Telling Square to change their direction of game production is like telling Ford to switch to making desk chairs.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Let us not forget that he had a NERVOUS BREAKDOWN right in the middle of development leaving it up to the director of the much maligned SAGA frontier series to pick up the slack. There is actually a point (I have identified it as when you set out for The Stillshrine of Miriam) where the game starts to lag something fierce. No more innovative game mechanics, no more interesting dungeons, just lots and lots of MMO esque geography.
See, as far as I can tell, Final Fantasy XII is just Knights of the Old Republic with decent scripting tools for your characters' actions rather than a pathetically short action queue.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Bob_F_It said:
Maddenfreak said:
final fantasy needs to die. I looked up the word final, guess what it meant, to end, not add 2 dozen sequels
Try looking up [a href="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sequel"]sequel[/a]. FFII is not a canonical continuation of the first, and so on by induction. The only sequel there's been is X-2. The Second paragraph of [a href="http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/1554/An-Introduction-to-SquareEnix/p2/"]this[/a] explains why it's called Final Fantasy.

I'm still not sure where this need to "save" the series is coming from.
Last 5 main games' metacritic scores:
XII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyxii"]92[/a]
X: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx"]92[/a]
IX: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy9"]94[/a]
VII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy8"]90[/a]
VIII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy7"]92[/a]

So I just have two other questions right now. What are you smoking? And can I have some?
That's nice, but critic reviews are NOT what I'm looking for. (and apparently many others) What I want is a game that is good, not a game that is said to be good. As far as I know they might be just giving the games good reviews just because it's a beloved franchise. I don't give a damn about game reviews anymore unless they point out game breaking flaws. At this point I start playing games and formulating my own opinions and screw everyone else.

As far as I'm concerned in FF, they need to put the series on life support because I don't see much originality here if at all. Because gone are the days that Japan was the country that cutting edge in terms of games. Of course, I think they'll never learn their lesson until fans notice they're buying the same product for the 100th time just with new characters and slight upgrades.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Proto Cloud said:
That's nice, but critic reviews are NOT what I'm looking for. (and apparently many others) What I want is a game that is good, not a game that is said to be good.
See, here's where I find there's a disconnect with reality.

If everyone says a game is good, there are two explanations. Either they are telling the truth and the game actually is good, or they are all part of a grand conspiracy to trick you personally into buying a forty pound videogame, of which they will not see a penny.

Which of these explanations is not wearing a tinfoil hat?

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Onmi said:
And new stories,
and new battle systems
and new summon systems
and no relation to any of the previous games save for a title.

Holy shit that's called A NEW GAME. your talking less about disliking Final Fantasy and more about Disliking JRPG's or just RPG's

because guess what when you DO cut the plot and a lot of other things, most things are the same at core. That's why I don't accept bullshitty "When you cut away this this this"

FFXII was a big step for FF and XIII is an even BIGGER step.
That's NOT what I call a new game, that's a old game reskinned(New battle systems, yeah right, most of them are VERY alike). FFXII was just a small step forward in a genre that was already ahead of the curve and wasn't even close to how solid many Action RPGs were at the time (Like Zelda, KOTOR, Fable, Jade Empire and Dark Cloud 2). FFXIII isn't even out buddy, for all we know it might be a Turn based RPG.

You might want to start playing things besides JRPGs.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Proto Cloud said:
That's nice, but critic reviews are NOT what I'm looking for. (and apparently many others) What I want is a game that is good, not a game that is said to be good.

If everyone says a game is good, there are two explanations. Either they are telling the truth and the game actually is good, or they are all part of a grand conspiracy to trick you personally into buying a forty pound videogame, of which they will not see a penny.

I think Yahtzee of all people has taught you this: That the opinion of the masses doesn't matter at all, all they're doing is trying to convince you towards their opinion. (look up his videos on the "critically acclaimed" Fable, Halo, GTA, JRPG and Bioshock games. That's all I have to say. Just cause everyone is lulled into it doesn't mean it's immediately good.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Hurray! You have formulated your own opinions that are different than mine! Amazing! My work is done.

Daouzin

Jan 25, 2008
Proto Cloud said:
GloatingSwine said:
Proto Cloud said:

I think Yahtzee of all people has taught you this: That the opinion of the masses doesn't matter at all, all they're doing is trying to convince you towards their opinion. (look up his videos on the "critically acclaimed" Fable, Halo, GTA, JRPG and Bioshock games. That's all I have to say. Just cause everyone is lulled into it doesn't mean it's immediately good.
It also doesn't mean it's automatically bad. I'm pretty sure most people in this thread that say they like a game, you know, like the game. Just a guess. You can deny them this truth, but then how do we know you don't dislike certain games because you know other people like them. It's a stupid way to think.

At the end of the day whether someone was "tricked" into liking something doesn't so much matter as long as they can legitimize why they like it. I had to train myself to like FPSs so I could appreciate the Half Life series and Bioshock, now I generally get why people do like them. Its not that I bought into the hype, it's simply that my tools in terms of analytical reasoning was flaky with the genre, once I got some experience under my belt I began to understand why certain decisions were made in those games and could identify with their characters/settings. I imagine a lot of people that don't get the Final Fantasy series have dull tools in the JRPG department and maybe they have no desire to sharpen them, that's fine, but don't assume people like them for no good reason. It's simply a taste some people have acquired and now really enjoy and for others it's a taste they may simply never be able to appreciate.

It's fine really. Things are like that. I don't get why people get so boiled up about it.

I've tried to acquire a taste for WRPGs, but I can't stand them no matter how hard I try. That doesn't mean I can't attempt to see what made Mass Effect good, or am I buying into hype?

Onmi said:
Proto Cloud said:
Hurray! You have formulated your own opinions that are different than mine! Amazing! My work is done.
I'm angry that you are obnoxious.
Yeah, I hated everything about that reply so I fixed it. He really isn't that bad, just thinks he's smarter then you, which is amusing cause he knows nothing about you.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Proto Cloud said:
And the opinion of one mouthy gobshite does matter?

No. The mathematics is simple, if everyone says they enjoy X, the chances are that it is because X is enjoyable, whether X is a videogame, narcotic, sexual practise, or other activity.

Proto Cloud

Jun 25, 2008
Seems this already turning into the debate of whose opinion matters more, circular logic, misunderstanding and namecalling. Ok, if it's going to be that way then I have a paper due for Monday, see you then.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Proto Cloud said:
Bob_F_It said:
I'm still not sure where this need to "save" the series is coming from.
Last 5 main games' metacritic scores:
XII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyxii"]92[/a]
X: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/finalfantasyx"]92[/a]
IX: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy9"]94[/a]
VII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy8"]90[/a]
VIII: [a href:"http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psx/finalfantasy7"]92[/a]

So I just have two other questions right now. What are you smoking? And can I have some?
That's nice, but critic reviews are NOT what I'm looking for. (and apparently many others) What I want is a game that is good, not a game that is said to be good. As far as I know they might be just giving the games good reviews just because it's a beloved franchise. I don't give a damn about game reviews anymore unless they point out game breaking flaws. At this point I start playing games and formulating my own opinions and screw everyone else.

As far as I'm concerned in FF, they need to put the series on life support because I don't see much originality here if at all. Because gone are the days that Japan was the country that cutting edge in terms of games. Of course, I think they'll never learn their lesson until fans notice they're buying the same product for the 100th time just with new characters and slight upgrades.
Proto Cloud said:
Well, you've developed your own opinions that are different from the great majority. What happened to democracy? If you have a single opinion, then it doesn't suddenly become fact. When most people have a similar opinion, that's consensus. If there's a concensus that Final Fantasy is good, chances are the games will be bought. Why would Square surrender to your requests when millions of others are telling them that a good job is being done and continuing to buy the games? Show me figures that display a slump in sales and you might have some weight behind you.
I also suspect that you don't know what Metacritic does. They don't do reviews; they sift around hundreds of reviews in magazines and on the internet and give an average opinion representitive of everyone's thoughts.

jezz8me

Mar 27, 2008
Onmi said:
jezz8me said:
Final Fantasy XIII looks like it captures the correct style of Final Fantasy but is still doing a lot of new things.
Whats wrong with New things? Progress is the power of humanity, for the series to progress and venture into new territory's is a good thing, with an unknown outcome but still good.
I said XIII is doing a lot of new things in a good way as in it is doing new things but still capturing the feel of a Final Fantasy.