Saxton Hale Hates Mann vs Machine Cowards

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Saxton Hale Hates Mann vs Machine Cowards

Those who repeatedly abandon official Mann vs Machine server games will be punished.

"There are some words that," Saxton Hale bellows - or at least types furiously [http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=8943] - "If I have to use them to describe a man, that man is dead to me. Also to everybody else. Because I will kill that man." Or garnish their wages at the very least, but the note is part of a campaign designed to weed out cowards who quit official Mann Company servers mid-match, in Team Fortress 2's co-op game Mann vs Machine.

There are two ways to play Mann vs Machine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119104-Mann-Up-in-Team-Fortress-2-Co-Op]; on a public server, for which you pay nothing, or on an official Mann Company server, and for that you need a ticket. That ticket costs money and, judging by the frown hanging on fictional Mann Company CEO Hale's brow like a thundercloud, some of those ticket holders are being abandoned by their allies just when they need them the most. Players who repeatedly abandon their fellow Mercs will find themselves stuck in a low-priority pool and will face longer matchmaking times.

Abandoning, according to Hale, is what happens when you leave an official game without having played through a single wave to completion or failure, and there are five or more players - including you - connected to the server at the time. If you just dropped out the once, maybe because the cat ate your computer or for some similarly understandable reason, there's no problem. Saxton Hale is after repeat offenders, not those caught in unfortunate circumstances beyond their control.

If you're looking for more information, the Mann vs Machine FAQ [http://www.teamfortress.com/mvm/faq/#abandon] is a good place to start.

Source: Mann vs Machine [http://www.teamfortress.com/mvm/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Whats also worth pointing out is that if you lose internet, possibly due to feline interference, and you happen to meet the criteria for an abandon, the game will detect this and reserve your spot on the Mann Co. server for 3 minuites. Fail to reconnect, Hale's coming for you.

Telumektar

Jul 7, 2010
Neat, now i'll be punished for their game's bugs too :D

It's an amazing game, but (at least on my PC) it's very unstable.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Telumektar said:

TF2 is a very, very unstable game in general for most people. I have a top tier PC that cost me $2500 a year ago and its still a buggy mess in its vanilla form. Google and install Chris Config. Not only will it improve the performance and graphics of the game, it should help to stabilize the game significantly. It also has an option for lower end PCs that won't beef up the graphics.

TF2 runs wonders for me after installing it but it still crashes occasionally if I'm alt-tabbing or if I have some video playing on the other screen while playing.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
One of my most hated things about MvM are quitters.

Especially morons who choose to play on the highest difficulty, don't want to wait for a full team so push everybody to ready up. Inevitably fail due to not having a full team, and then quit.

I don't play on the servers you have to pay for though, I don't see the point, when the rewards you get are aesthetic only.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Been awhile since I played MvM but damn is this awesome. I feel bad for people with crap internet but there are plenty of actual quitters that just ruin the fucking game for us. Every player is vital in MvM and leaving because we wipe ONCE is pathetic. Give em hell Saxton Hale

Telumektar

Jul 7, 2010
VanQQisH said:
TF2 is a very, very unstable game in general for most people. I have a top tier PC that cost me $2500 a year ago and its still a buggy mess in it's vanilla form. Google and install Chris Config. Not only will it improve the performance and graphics of the game, it should help to stabilize the game significantly. It also has an option for lower end PCs that won't beef up the graphics.

TF2 runs wonders for me after installing it but it still crashes occasionally if I'm alt-tabbing or if I have some video playing on the other screen while playing.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

BigBlindBill

Nov 9, 2009
In my opinion the greatest factor for leavers in premium MvM isn't mentioned here. That is the use of 'Squad Surplus Vouchers'.

These are optional $2 items that grant every player on the server an item upon the completion of an MvM map. They are not required to play on the official servers unlike the $1 tickets.

Simply put players wish to gain the most from their time using their tickets, so players with a surplus voucher may leave teams who give them nothing in return. On the other hand players who have a cheap nature will only play official servers where there are players that will grant them free items.

Maybe it could benefit valve and also be an easy fix to prevent people from viewing who has a surplus voucher active. Preventing server hopping players from scouting out profitable games for them to play.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Kill the leavers. You know what, give this guy a spot on the dev team for every multiplayer game in existence. Leavers should be punished. Can't play the next game all the way through? Then don't start it. When you leave halfway in most games your affecting the experience of those already in the game. As for those who say they don't care, you're dead me and you deserve to get hit by a train.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So now when your Scout/Engie/other important teammate leaves and you're basically forced to leave as well[footnote]by virtue of the fact that the matchmaking basically never sends people to in-progress games and the fact there's nothing resembling a respec option to let someone else take their place without being several thousand $ behind[/footnote] now you get to suffer the results throughout multiple games!

Yaaaaay!

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
So theoretically, if I leave a match in the second or third wave after having lost about twenty times because my team members think it's a good idea to change class and waste all of their upgrades for the previous class, or better yet, team members who think it's a good idea to have a selection of two snipers/spies, I'M the one who's gonna get punished?

I'm not so sure that I am very fond of this idea.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Telumektar said:

TF2 is a very, very unstable game in general for most people. I have a top tier PC that cost me $2500 a year ago and its still a buggy mess in its vanilla form.
Is this a new thing? I haven't played much TF2 lately, but when I used to regularly (kind of dropped off a couple years ago) it was rock solid for me. I haven't noticed any problems when I've occasionally fired it up for holiday achievements like during the winter sale last year or to get Pyrovision stuff this summer.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
xptn40S said:
So theoretically, if I leave a match in the second or third wave after having lost about twenty times because my team members think it's a good idea to change class and waste all of their upgrades for the previous class, or better yet, team members who think it's a good idea to have a selection of two snipers/spies, I'M the one who's gonna get punished?

I'm not so sure that I am very fond of this idea.
Not the case. Valve have said on their FAQ that they consider someone abandoning when all three criterias are met:

You leave a game while playing a Mann Up game on an official server; and
You have not played through a single wave to completion or failure; and
There are 5 or more players currently connected to the server (including you).

This means that if you've manned up with 5 other team mates and you decide to quit instantly before playing properly you're abandoning. Hope that clears it up.

xptn40S

Jan 11, 2011
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
Not the case. Valve have said on their FAQ that they consider someone abandoning when all three criterias are met:

You leave a game while playing a Mann Up game on an official server; and
You have not played through a single wave to completion or failure; and
There are 5 or more players currently connected to the server (including you).

This means that if you've manned up with 5 other team mates and you decide to quit instantly before playing properly you're abandoning. Hope that clears it up.
Ah, well that sounds much more reasonable than what I first thought, thanks for clearing that up.

Although I do wonder why anyone would leave before they've even started, unless it's because they get mad about other players' class choices.