Say Goodbye to the USS Enterprise... Forever

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
Redlin5 said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
So we really aren't saying goodbye to the USS Enterprise forever then, eh?
If the name lives on, the title is wrong. I was actually expecting the article to say they were retiring the name or something.

Oh well. She is a nice looking hunk of steel. The price of her replacement would never be something my country would invest in however.
The end of the article said another Enterprise is in the works. They're gonna start construction in a few years.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
bandit0802 said:
Redlin5 said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
If the name lives on, the title is wrong. I was actually expecting the article to say they were retiring the name or something.

Oh well. She is a nice looking hunk of steel. The price of her replacement would never be something my country would invest in however.
The end of the article said another Enterprise is in the works. They're gonna start construction in a few years.
Yes, I saw that.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
And here I thought the Star Trek franchise got killed off or something like that when I read the title.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I'm impressed they where able to build that ship 50 years ago. Back when I was a kid we didn't even have cellphones all the time and the ones that existed where the size of a brick. But that didn't stop those builders from making that carrier.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
And the power from its reactor could probably power your entire country!
Until it melts down at least. Most nuclear reactors as old as the Enterprise have been decomissioned, and given humanities spotty history with making portable versions of anything it would only have been a matter of time before the thing saw itself off.

And theres probably something to be said about the idea of nuclear reactors on barges going where theyre needed.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
Most nuclear reactors are portable, in nuclear submarines. They work fine, and are inherently safe. It's only when solid uranium water cooled reactors start getting larger than a few hundred megawatts that physical boundaries start being tested and you start to require safety mechanisms that are complicated and engineered (and therefore capable of failing).

About a third of all CO2 emissions from transportation comes from ships burning truly gross bunker oil on the high seas. If we replaced those filthy burners with clean reactors you wouldn't have to feel so guilty about eating bananas from South America in the middle of February.

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Redlin5 said:
SacremPyrobolum said:

Some ships get converted to museums, so it isn't really a goodbye forever. This ship, this enterprise, will be reduced to scrap metal.

It is goodbye forever for this ship and for the immense significance it has to those in the Navy and those with an appreciation for what this vessel represents.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
It's a tragedy that this U.S.S. Enterprise's predecessor was turned into scrap as well. A very sad and undeserved ending for the most decorated ship in U.S. Navy history. As to this U.S.S. Enterprise, it's also disheartening she is being turned into scrap. This vessel represented a huge leap forward in carrier design, technology and served with incredible distinction. A scrap pile is the last place a vessel with this name, and history, should be going.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Rhykker said:
And say hello to the most misleading headline of the last week. I wish I could say it was the most misleading headline ever, but this kind of crap is becoming all too common on the Escapist. I realize you want to get more clicks so you get more ad revenue, but at the expense of your integrity? Really?

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Avaholic03 said:
Rhykker said:
And say hello to the most misleading headline of the last week. I wish I could say it was the most misleading headline ever, but this kind of crap is becoming all too common on the Escapist. I realize you want to get more clicks so you get more ad revenue, but at the expense of your integrity? Really?
The USS Enterprise is being decommissioned and scrapped. She had a crew of almost 5,000. She is the longest-serving aircraft carrier in US history. She is the longest naval vessel in the world. She is one of the world's most famous naval vessels. She is not being turned into a museum, as some have hoped, but will be gone forever. As far as I'm concerned, the only integrity being eroded here is the vessel's hull integrity. If you disagree, then, respectfully, we have a difference of opinion.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006

"Okay, I got the picture, it looks awesome. Guys, you want to move those planes back under deck? I'm kind of low on fuel and I need somewhere to land. Guys?"

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Say goodbye forever... until the next Enterprise is finished being built.

I see what you did there ._.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
wow, that thumbnail is a bit misleading. Either way glad they are recycling it. that is a lot of steel.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I thought they would just remove the nuclear core and put it into a maritime museum. I mean it is a huge part of our nation's history.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
gigastar said:
SacremPyrobolum said:
And the power from its reactor could probably power your entire country!
Until it melts down at least. Most nuclear reactors as old as the Enterprise have been decomissioned, and given humanities spotty history with making portable versions of anything it would only have been a matter of time before the thing saw itself off.

And theres probably something to be said about the idea of nuclear reactors on barges going where theyre needed.

The US navy actually has a much better record then the commercial power industry as far as nuclear power goes(partially because of how naval nuclear operators are trained and partially because Naval Reactors is very, very no nonsense), and if things do come to worst, the melting down reactor probably in the middle of the ocean and far from a populated area.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
Rhykker said:
Avaholic03 said:
Rhykker said:
The USS Enterprise is being decommissioned and scrapped. She had a crew of almost 5,000. She is the longest-serving aircraft carrier in US history. She is the longest naval vessel in the world. She is one of the world's most famous naval vessels. She is not being turned into a museum, as some have hoped, but will be gone forever. As far as I'm concerned, the only integrity being eroded here is the vessel's hull integrity. If you disagree, then, respectfully, we have a difference of opinion.

The title is quite misleading actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_United_States_Navy_named_Enterprise

Only once in the line of ships carrying the name was it not called the USS Enterprise, and the next ship to bear the name is still going to be called the USS Enterprise. Therefore we are not saying goodbye to the USS Enterprise forever. It would be accurate to say we are saying goodbye to either the Enterprise class of aircraft carrier, or to the USS Enterprise (CVN-65).

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
MorganL4 said:
I thought they would just remove the nuclear core and put it into a maritime museum. I mean it is a huge part of our nation's history.
The tricky part with that being the Enterprise has 8 (small) nuclear cores. There's a lot more area affected by the removal. Not to mention the 8 seperate holes from the hanger down into reactor compartment to get it out of there.

It's not just the Cores either. All the cooling pumps have to be removed(and those things tend to be pretty big as well), not to mention filters, valves, piping, pressurizing tanks, etc. Pretty much the entire reactor compartment needs to be stripped out, and the enterprise has a very unique design in this regards so it wouldn't be easy.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Rhykker said:
Avaholic03 said:
Rhykker said:
Don't play dumb. You knew exactly how that title could be misinterpreted when you wrote it. In fact, I'm sure you banked on the confusion to draw more people to click the article thinking it was either Star Trek related, or pertained to the name itself being permanently retired.