Say that Mankind launches two new spaceships.

Xenetethrae

Nov 19, 2009
Scorched_Cascade said:
Athena and Ares
Or Nyx and Styx
Or Huginn and Muninn
EVE much?

Also, I prefer Norse mythological names to those of Greek mythology, but have never understood how Huginn and Muninn sounds impressive. "Thought" and "Memory"?

How about Jörmungandr and Fenrir? (just scary things)
or Hermod and Sleipnir? (a perfect set up for a rescue mission)
or Valkyrie and Einherjar (cause this setup actually makes sense: 1 lead ship and 1 watchful protector/scout)

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
Sovereign & Pioneer would make good fitting names.

Enterprise would be out of the question but we gotta at least try. They will most likily be named after a peron or place.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Impetus and Animus, or as someone else said, Adam and Eve.

Either something biblical or something Latin.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Celtic_Kerr said:
I wonder how many people are going to say Normandy and Enterprise
I was thinking Enterprise and Serenity. I don't think Normandy is ingrained in pop culture enough.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
They will probably be named after the scientist who invented the magic star drive or some other famous scientist like the cliched Wernher Von Braun.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Xenetethrae said:
Scorched_Cascade said:
Athena and Ares
Or Nyx and Styx
Or Huginn and Muninn
EVE much?

Also, I prefer Norse mythological names to those of Greek mythology, but have never understood how Huginn and Muninn sounds impressive. "Thought" and "Memory"?

How about Jörmungandr and Fenrir? (just scary things)
or Hermod and Sleipnir? (a perfect set up for a rescue mission)
or Valkyrie and Einherjar (cause this setup actually makes sense: 1 lead ship and 1 watchful protector/scout)
EVE? I've never played it, did I make an accidental reference?

I went with Ares and Athena because they are opposites and just fit and sound nice together. Nyx is the titan of darkness and Styx is the dark river. Huginn and Muninn not because they sound cool but because of the symbolism. They are Odin's ravens, his messengers and spies I thought it fitting that the space ships were named after them. Odin being chief among the Aesir and they being his messengers and spies its like a veiled threat, a declaration of status and a statement about human life being dominant on it's planet all in one.

Were I going for cool Norse references I'd go with Tyr and Thor or Loki and Hel.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
The Litany of L-.. you people are fast. The Litany of Fury and the Nanoha.

[sub]Xenos, why don't you cool your heads?[/sub]

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Steve.
Steve^2 (Steve Squared).

Oddly enough, this is also what I will name my kids if I have twins.

Epictank of Wintown

Jan 8, 2009
Ross Perot said:
ethaninja said:
Ross Perot said:
If Mankind Didn't really launch two spaceships, then why is the topic title "mankind launches two new spaceships?" Are you a games journalist in training?

also, "humankind"
Seriously? That's all you decided to contribute? =/
i apologize that you are stranded in old misogynist ways, but calling it "mankind" is just a sample of the archaic, male-dominated english-language.
Off-topic, but seriously. Do me a favor and take your PC bullshit elsewhere. All this "political correctness" crap does is drive home the fact that people are different. If we all stopped focusing on the fact that we ARE different and focused on what we all have IN COMMON, the world would be a better place.

But you self-centered PC winos can't have that, can you?

mireko said:
The Litany of L-.. you people are fast. The Litany of Fury and the Nanoha.

[sub]Xenos, why don't you cool your heads?[/sub]
The Angry Marines are, like, the best chapter ever.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
The Rogue Wolf said:
The We're Coming To Blow You Up and the We're Coming To Take Your Stuff.

Honesty is the best policy!

Barring that, the Ishimura and the Von Braun. Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong.
Well you could go with the Ishimura and then change the second one to the Event Horizen. What would go wrong with both of those classy names? :D