Say that Mankind launches two new spaceships.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Say that two space-ships have now been built to explore the galaxy, and are waiting to be named. What would you call them? I realise the success of this thread is probably related to the amount of sci-fi fans on the Escapist, but I'm sure there's a few.

For me, they'd be the Roddenberry and Lucas, for obvious reasons. How about you?

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I would name them Turtle 1 and Turtle 2 and they would hold up the world!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ship 1: "We Hope This Works"
Ship 2: "Just in Case Ship One Doesn't Work"

And then the backup-backup ship, "Whoops".

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Ship 1 and Ship 2 intergalactic travel is hard enough lets try to keep it as simple as possible for now.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
Ross Perot said:
If Mankind Didn't really launch two spaceships, then why is the topic title "mankind launches two new spaceships?" Are you a games journalist in training?

also, "humankind"
Take it as a hypothetical question. I think most people would have heard if we'd built these kinds of things for real.

Senrab

Mar 22, 2008
Randomologist said:
No, not really. But say that two space-ships have now been built to explore the galaxy, and are waiting to be named. What would you call them? I realise the success of this thread is probably related to the amount of sci-fi fans on the Escapist, but I'm sure there's a few.

For me, they'd be the Roddenberry and Lucas, for obvious reasons. How about you?

Actually I really like those names. Well done.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Ross Perot said:
If Mankind Didn't really launch two spaceships, then why is the topic title "mankind launches two new spaceships?" Are you a games journalist in training?

also, "humankind"
HIPPY! BEAT HIM UNTIL HE CONFORMS!

Anyway. I'm going to have to go with the obvious Enterprise and for the other one, Skullcrusher. So that any species that meets it knows not to mess with us, we named a ship Skullcrusher. It is a ship that crushes skulls. They'd be scared.

Xangi

Mar 4, 2009
Randomologist said:
No, not really. But say that two space-ships have now been built to explore the galaxy, and are waiting to be named. What would you call them? I realise the success of this thread is probably related to the amount of sci-fi fans on the Escapist, but I'm sure there's a few.

I'd go more for something like Asimov and Clarke, mainly because I am more of a literary type when it comes to sci-fi.

darkonnis

Apr 8, 2010
Atlas, after the Mythical being who holds the earth on his shoulders
Ragnarok, after the norse good who brings about the end of the old world and the start of the new.
Atlas of course to represent the earths hopes.
I always imagine an encounter with an alien race will go one of 2 ways, once the curiosity wears off. They'll be happy smiley innocent beings or they'll probably not smile quite so much and bring about;or try to, our doom. Ragnarok fits this nicely.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
You can never go wrong with names from the Greek mythology. Daedalus and Icarus would be cool, but I guess that would be too much of a bad omen.

Other than that, I really like this idea:
Xangi said:
Asimov and Clarke

wizzerd229

Man of many Ideas
May 22, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Ship 1: "We Hope This Works"
Ship 2: "Just in Case Ship One Doesn't Work"

And then the backup-backup ship, "Whoops".
I do believe you win, congragts

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
The Graceful Diplomat and The Mailed Fist one goes in to negotiate with new species and the other hovers just in extreme weapon range....what? I think that combo best represents humanity...

Or Xenophile and Xenophobe
Or Pride of Shepard and Fist of Wrex
Or Athena and Ares
Or Nyx and Styx
Or Huginn and Muninn