Say you became super rich. Would you still make your kids work?

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I would definitely make them work, and if not, have them experience what it's like to work in blue-collar jobs.

A large reason for my push to pursue higher education and a better job was because I would periodically go to work and work with my parents at their jobs when I was a pre-teen to before I graduated high school.

One of my parents is an accountant and the other a painter that works in construction firms; both of them are very hard working and humble with their professions and I love them both to death for it. However, I was easily convinced that I wanted to do neither of their professions, so those experiences served as a push for me to buckle down and study my way to a brighter future.

I also wanted to work, in order to fulfill my dreams, both academic and personal, and I'm a better person for it.

So I'm hoping that these experiences will serve as an example and inspiration for my future kids to always achieve their dreams, despite whatever advantages/disadvantages they might have been born into.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Absolutely.

There is no other way to learn the true value of wealth than to spend time earning it.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Saelune said:
No. Unless they became dicks, then make them work retail, cause fuck retail. But if they can understand that people are well, people, then I wont torture them. I'd encourage them to do something with their time though, a passion to work on, and not just have them be entitled layabouts.
Working isn't torture. I've seen people who were bailed out at every turn by their parents, in all cases it was extremely damaging to their ability to live adult lives and take responsibility for themselves. Every time.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Yes, because inherited wealth isn't likely to get them through their lives.

You dont get rich from being lucky, you get rich from having greatness. I cant really explain what "greatness" is, but think of it as an Ayn Rand sort of thing. John Galt has it and you dont. Any amount of cash you put in the hands of lesser men just disintegrates. It's why most lottery winners end up gowning broke. So unless your children are great men/women like you, which isn't guaranteed because greatness isn't hereditary, then they will all be bankrupt 5 years after you pass and they inherit the wealth. They need to be drip feed their money in weekly installments, e.g. a job, like the rest of us in the 99%.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Amir Kondori said:
Saelune said:
No. Unless they became dicks, then make them work retail, cause fuck retail. But if they can understand that people are well, people, then I wont torture them. I'd encourage them to do something with their time though, a passion to work on, and not just have them be entitled layabouts.
Working isn't torture. I've seen people who were bailed out at every turn by their parents, in all cases it was extremely damaging to their ability to live adult lives and take responsibility for themselves. Every time.
Work is torture when you have bad social anxiety disorder and spend all day in an anxious panic.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I'd hide the fact that I'm rich from my kids and see how they develop their career prospects and desires within work, then lay it on them that we are loaded and see what happens......so I'd use my kids as a social experiment for fun.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Mahorfeus said:
I'd give them each a small loan of a million dollars. If they don't manage to turn a profit from it within a year, then it's off to the orphanage with them.
This makes me think of Yugioh >.>

OT: Yes I would they need to know what its like to work

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
It's my money, not their money. They'll get all the support they need and with such a financial blessing probably more so than others but of course they're going to work.

Sure, they'll be able to get every hobby + education they want/need and will be able to take more risks* when startin' their own lifes, but in the end they've to find their own way.

*I'd gladly sponsor them, if they wanted to start their own "thing", as long as they can provide a decent business plan to me.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
No I wouldn't "make" them work. I would make sure I had put enough money into investments so that my family wouldn't have to worry about resources. I'd still stress that doing something productive is just the good thing to do, so that you are actually helping the world in some way, make it a better place. But as long as they weren't acting like complete deuchenozzles I don't really care.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah. My money is my money. If I get kids, they'll get an inheritance when I'm gone, but I'm not gonna front load them with money. I'll help them out to get started, like my mom did with me, but they get to earn their own money. Well, their birthday presents might be pretty sweet, but that's about it.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Saelune said:
Amir Kondori said:
Saelune said:
Work is torture when you have bad social anxiety disorder and spend all day in an anxious panic.
You've got to work with what you've got. There are lots of strategies to work around your anxiety. There is talk therapy, medication, and finding jobs that require minimal social contact. Eventually everyone has to earn a wage.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I'd definitely make sure that they benefited from my wealth by putting them in private schools, ensure that they got good grades and made it into a good college, and otherwise set them up to be successful on their own. But they'd want "things" such as a car, spending money, and other non-essentials. You bet that they'd have to earn their own money for that.

And I'd encourage them to figure out what they wanted to do for a career, and steer them towards that, especially if it meant an unpaid internship over minimum wage fast food. Though I'd imagine that they'd work something equally low-prestige early on.