Saying the 'L' Word To Your Other Half for the First Time

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
I'd probably be in the same boat. A lot of painful emotional situations in my past relationships, has somewhat jaded me from ever really wanting to commit that far. Or rather, really damned skeptical about going that distance..

To be, telling someone romantically "I love you" is a pretty big leap, and people are naturally afraid of it. Can make or break, depending on the situation.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
L word? you should always be upfront with your partner about being a lesbian

i believe it is a big deal. im old fashioned in many ways and i wouldnt say it to someone unless i was certain i would spend my life with them. i had a girlfriend who would get upset with me because she told me she loved me and i told her i wasnt ready to say it back. i didnt freak out when she said it, i just couldnt say i loved her too

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Dr. wonderful said:
WaReloaded said:
I first time I told my fiancée that I loved her was one night when we were together in bed (before we were engaged, obviously), it was the first time I ever made dinner for her. She cuddled up to me and told me that she loved me, and I said it in return. It was the first time I ever truly felt love and it's probably the second best moment of my life, the first moment being our first date.

P.s. Sorry to cheese up everyone's day, haha.
Naw, I needed the cheese for my cheese pizza.

I never have someone like that. But if I did. I would put an Ad in the newspaper.

X! I LOVE YOU!
I'm glad I could provide the cheese for your pizza, haha.

Well, if you do find someone to love, do it, I'll hold you to it!

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
I honestly told her I loved her when I asked her out. We were friends for a couple of years before I asked her out.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I tried not to say it too early, and I did anyway. Thankfully, she repeated it back, and no harm was done.

Although, to be fair I said "I'm in lesbians with you".

Asuka Soryu said:
At least he didn't reply, "I'm in lesbians with you".
Oh, well... *cough*

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
that"i can't bring myself to say it" line is a load of bullshit, you either love someone or you don't, now there are degrees of love but that still counts as the "ON" state in this on/off analogy.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
soren7550 said:
As movies, games, books and etc. would leave you to believe, telling someone that you love them for the first time is this huge, big moment in the relationship.

So, a bit back I told my boyfriend that I loved him. Of course I meant it (even if he is a bit doofy sometimes X3), but it wasn't really such a huge thing as the above mentioned would make one believe (no epic billowing of my hair sadly, lol). However though, the boyfriend explained that while he does care fore me deeply, he couldn't really bring himself to say it back.

So Escapists, do you think saying it to your other half is a big deal? Do you even think that the word holds much meaning? What happened when you/your other half said it for the first time? Discuss.
Mmm, its always circumstancial, when I was a young teenager, I remember telling a few girls, those three catch phrase words, a fair few actually. But if I look back, there's probably only been 1 or 2 that really counted, out of maybe a dozen or so people who I 'at the time' thought it were true for (that week anyway). So if you think it was, then it was, if not, then it wasn't, but regardless the sentiment behind the words 'should' always mean something, I think often it doesn't though.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Ok, I'll be honest, the lesbians thing is getting old. Don't get me wrong, I love Scott Pilgrim but seeing it thread after thread kills the joke. It was a funny part in the movie but nowi t's just dead, really.

OT: Yes, I wasn't in a relationship with them and I said it. Herp derp, mark one up for my stupidity.

Kaez

Jan 11, 2010
It was a big deal for me the first time, I was in high school and it was senior year. We were dating for a couple months by this point (I'm a nerd so she was my first gf). My school was doing a fundraiser where we could buy a rose and put a short message on it and it would be delivered to their locker. I had mine say I Love You.

When she got it I was with her at the time, and after reading the note she looked at me and said "I Love You too" and gave me a hug and kiss before we rushed off to our respective classes.

Almost 6 years later, as of August 15th, we are still together and engaged. I still love her, even more than back then.

Oh and she still has the rose pressed in one of her books.

Eternal Cat

Apr 6, 2010
Coupla years back, when I was in the final year of high school, I had a relationship which was a terrible idea in so many ways. I learned a lot from what I did wrong in it. One of them was the constant abuse of the L-word, by both of us, bear in mind that we were 15/16 at the time. I'm talking, about every 5-30 minutes in MSN conversations. Ugh. It gave us a great high at first, then just wore off and lost all meaning after a couple of weeks at most.

That relationship went south eventually, long after it should have. She's now dating an ex-friend of mine, "ex"-friend because of her. I'm sure they use the L-word plenty. Oh, and they've been talking about marriage, which is utterly retarded. She yet hasn't learned the lesson I did, clearly. Neither has he.

My current girlfriend, we've discussed this before now. It was incredibly sweet when she said "I really like you... and I'm thinking of a stronger word than that... but, it's probably not right." We both recognise that we're too young to really understand the concept of love, but in the meantime we've agreed on something to be stronger than like but less than love, so we just say lessthanthree. Infrequently, because I know all too well what'll happen if we slip into the cheap high. Ah well. With appropriate caution, we're going amazingly. ^_^

Young L-word, hey? It's so easy to mess up.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
It wasn't a huge moment but still a significant one I'd say. It was new years 09/10 and it was about 2am when my boyfriend said it and I said it back. Wasn't really dramatic or anything but still felt really nice to hear.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Not a whole of things out there really lives up to the hype they are cast in. We image many things that are suppose to be life changing and amazing but ends up sort of disappointing for lack of a better term. Fireworks don't shoot off and time doesn't stop just because you expressed your care towards another.

As far as I see it, life will go on regardless to how we expect it to be. If your relationship turns out alright and love is expressed on both sides, then good for you and your other. If fireworks don't fly, then it is only to be expected.

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
soren7550 said:
As movies, games, books and etc. would leave you to believe, telling someone that you love them for the first time is this huge, big moment in the relationship.

So, a bit back I told my boyfriend that I loved him. Of course I meant it (even if he is a bit doofy sometimes X3), but it wasn't really such a huge thing as the above mentioned would make one believe (no epic billowing of my hair sadly, lol). However though, the boyfriend explained that while he does care fore me deeply, he couldn't really bring himself to say it back.

So Escapists, do you think saying it to your other half is a big deal? Do you even think that the word holds much meaning? What happened when you/your other half said it for the first time? Discuss.
Nope, means nothing (to me). The thing is I actually mean it as I say it but once you've broken up you change so quickly! I guess I feel love easy, or I've never felt true love at all (depressing thought :-(

EDIT: It's also never been a big deal or something I've kept track of with girls. Maybe they knew who said it first and stuff but I couldn't tell you who said it first in any of my past relationships.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
When I first said it to my fiancé, I freaked out because I thought he would leave me over it. He wasn't my first or anything, but you always hear about how people are scared by the word and things like that...
He said it back though, then I confessed I was scared it would push him away, and he said it has no reason to push you away when you feel the same.
I was happy.

So we say it as some kind of punctuation mark, but it's always true and it always makes me happy ^_^

charlest92

Sep 4, 2010
It is all dependant on the person for people like me who generally keep people at a distance saying "I love you" is a HUGE thing, on the other side for an overly affectionate person its like nothing for them to say it.

ShadowDude112

Mar 9, 2009
Kaez said:
It was a big deal for me the first time, I was in high school and it was senior year. We were dating for a couple months by this point (I'm a nerd so she was my first gf). My school was doing a fundraiser where we could buy a rose and put a short message on it and it would be delivered to their locker. I had mine say I Love You.

When she got it I was with her at the time, and after reading the note she looked at me and said "I Love You too" and gave me a hug and kiss before we rushed off to our respective classes.

Almost 6 years later, as of August 15th, we are still together and engaged. I still love her, even more than back then.

Oh and she still has the rose pressed in one of her books.
Can you time travel?

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
TheDarkEricDraven said:
....Lesbian?
(No, the other L word.)
...Lesbians?
The first time I said I was in lesbians... woo that takes me back.

OT: I use many different types of love, familial love, friend-love, and romantic love. They all have different meanings. When I first said I love you to my girlfriend, my current girlfriend being the only one to hear that from me, I really meant it. She means the world to me, I'm having fun and I definitely don't want to end it anytime soon.