SC2 Ruined my play-time

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Legendsmith said:
Now, when I say tactics, I mean things that you do do achieve your strategy. But in starcraft and Starcraft 2, the strategy is always this: Kill the enemy's base and their expansions. The maps are pretty similar, small with ramp choke-points, etc. So things (again I say it) boil down to tactics. What units to build, what manoeuvres to pull (this especially) and how exactly to harass your enemy's resource operations.
Out of curiosity, have you watched many/any pro league Broodwar/Starcraft 2 matches?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Lake Deuteronomy said:
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
Play a better RTS, like AoE 1,
Because, if you've ever wanted to win a battle by massing flaming horse archers (and one or two ballistae) and attack-moving, no matter what units your opponent chooses, or what tactics they try, or how good their micro is, now you can!
Because 10 years of development, an unprecedented 100 million bucks of budget (did they actually put more money into that than into an average MMO?) and 13 years of video game industry advancement offer no technological advantage at all.

Take things in context (and accept some people prefer some older concepts to new ones), but I agree with your underlying point that newer games can offer a lot more to most gamers :)

OT: I can only recommend C&C Generals Zero Hour and some older Tiberian Sun games in terms of RTSs. If you're into turn based strategy, I love Civ 3 (playing it again now), Civ 4 should be great too but I never got into it as I was against the 3D strategy design at the time (I intend to revisit that opinion with Civ 5).

As for other genres, Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age: Origins, TF2, MW2 (/flameshield, some people enjoy it) and a lot of other games could tickle your fancy, but it depends on what you're looking for - if you want a real answer, I'd say edit your original post with a bit more specific info. Right now it's just flamebait for the SC2 haters.

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
You focused on one bit, not the others. It looked like I only reccomended AoE1
Ah, ok, I cut it down so I only posted the part directly relevant to what I had to say, so you'd immediately know what I was talking about, like I did with this quote. Its just how I post I guess.
To be honest, I haven't played AoE since the disk scratched to hell, I just remember enjoying it. Are Mongolians in AoE1? In AoE2 I'd say the teutons are best...
I can't say for sure, I don't even remember if they were really mongolians, or just horseback archers; just that, historically, devastating, unstoppable use of his horseback archers is most associated with Mongolians.

EDIT:
Vrach said:
Because 10 years of development, an unprecedented 100 million bucks of budget (did they actually put more money into that than into an average MMO?) and 13 years of video game industry advancement offer no technological advantage at all.
Woah woah, easy chocolate, that was sincere.

My best memories of Age of Empires are doing exactly what I described. I loved getting scores of horse archers, running by the enemy base, kiting away any army they sent at you with attack move, pumping volley after volley after volley into slow moving Centurions and Legions, then returning to raze the now defenceless production buildings.

Sure, I probably wouldn't find it exciting, or even very fun today, and yes, I do think Starcraft is a superior RTS, but
Lake Deuteronomy said:
be[ing] the mongolians and just roflstomp the shit out of everything
endeared me to Age of Empires.

Neevar

May 10, 2010
Suki the Cat said:
Make Muffins. Sell the muffins and spend the money you earn to make more muffins. Rinse and repeat until you can afford opening a muffin stand. Sell enough muffins to build yourself a chain of muffin stands, reap the earnings and build that Battleship!
Great ideea. I'll do that in my free time. Rest of the time i'll take others advices like, try custom maps and MP co-op. The custom maps are interesting.
MORE SC2!!! :D
Oh and, i think i will play some Fallout 3 and imagine i'm on mar'sara hah...hmm. i wonder if it'll work :p
Thanks for the help, i feel better allready :p

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Suki the Cat said:
Make Muffins. Sell the muffins and spend the money you earn to make more muffins. Rinse and repeat until you can afford opening a muffin stand. Sell enough muffins to build yourself a chain of muffin stands, reap the earnings and build that Battleship!
HAHA.. WIN!

Neevar

May 10, 2010
starfox444 said:
Oh wow, exact opposite for me. Played through campaign, uninstalled as soon as I was done. I felt like the ending didn't have any meaning to it. It just ended and I didn't care.
well, it didn't ended really...i mean it did, but it didn't. It was more of a cliff-hanger. I wonder what will the zerg do next. And the xel'naga. Well tbh i think she is not fully turned if you know what i mean.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Try Dawn of War 2, Chaos Rising. It has an excellent singleplayer campaign, doesn't require Dawn of War 2 to run, and it is different enough to be fresh.

Winfrid

Oct 21, 2008
I played through the campaign again on hard to get all the mission achieves
just need Shatter the Sky in 25 minutes, and 150 zerg in All In... and i guess the Brutal ones.... but... yeh, I'll do that when I start hating life
Hard wasn't that hard, i guess some of them were just difficult cause i was under restraints to get certain achieves

I hate timed achieves.... i like taking my time too much, guess i could just mass banshees and suicide the generators
meh

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
If you already finished the campaign then why don't you try your skills on Battle.net?

And there are tons of custom maps for you to try,if you had Warcraft 3 then you know that people can comes up with creatively fun maps.

Or you can try Red Alert 3 for a goofy not-takes-itself-seriously kind of game,or Company of Heroes for gritty realism visual,and intense combat,or Dawn Of War series,for over the top violent.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Lake Deuteronomy said:
Legendsmith said:
Now, when I say tactics, I mean things that you do do achieve your strategy. But in starcraft and Starcraft 2, the strategy is always this: Kill the enemy's base and their expansions. The maps are pretty similar, small with ramp choke-points, etc. So things (again I say it) boil down to tactics. What units to build, what manoeuvres to pull (this especially) and how exactly to harass your enemy's resource operations.
Out of curiosity, have you watched many/any pro league Broodwar/Starcraft 2 matches?
Admittedly, not many.

Also, I do realise I was generalising a bit with my comment on the maps, but the starting location are pretty samey with the ramps.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Neevar said:
Since i've completed SC2's campaign, i simply can't play any other games installed on my pc, or on the shelf. They all seem dull, so dull that i decided to start a thread on "the escapist". That says alot for me, because i'm not a "forumist".

I need help!
What game should i play?

Should i wait for "heart of the swarm"? :D

Should i leave my room and start building my own battlecruiser?
Play a better RTS, like AoE(1, 2, or mythology), Men of War, or Supreme Commander. Then Starcraft will seem dull.

EDIT: Or play Threadspace:Hyperbol if you can find someone online.

If you don't want to play an RTS then play TF2.
I think a better, less hate-iducing phrase would be 'different type of RTS'. Starcraft is designed for quick, intense games, whereas something like Sins of a Solar Empire is designed for longer playtimes and a greater strategy arc.

Esspytood

no Yabou
Dec 15, 2008
get into garry's mod,

its the only game i've sunk in more hours than any game i've played ever.

'cept its not even a game most of the time isn't it?

Lake Deuteronomy

Jun 6, 2010
Legendsmith said:
Admittedly, not many.

Also, I do realise I was generalising a bit with my comment on the maps, but the starting location are pretty samey with the ramps.
Well, I definitely agree that Supreme Commander can provide a scope of grandiose and epic-level strategic control that Starcraft can't always match, I think Starcraft's strength, and why I prefer it, is the variety it allows; not just in terms of play-style but in the way the battles themselves unfold.

There is the extreme tactical twitch micro of a Zerg vs Zerg match up, that tend to stick with small very aggressive armies, where every single unit, even the basic ones that cost almost nothing, cannot be thrown away without significant gain.

Then again, you've got the massive, Supreme Commander style, maxed out of Protoss vs Terran.

Have a look at this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCqKQjy5nM0] and this [http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft#p/search/1/scCnY2g1TTg] (Part 2 for the second one here [http://www.youtube.com/user/HuskyStarcraft#p/search/2/Q0ElaQdXGhk]), and you might see some of that need to employ strategy and then combine it with inhuman tactical control.

As an addendum, I'm showing you these videos not just to prove a point, but cause I think they are really great matches.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
Why are there so many Soul Calibur 2 threads these days?

OT: Are we speaking STRICTLY RTS games only here?