Scalebound Canceled as Microsoft and Platinum Part Ways

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Well this was one of the reasons I bought an xbone, so fuck me.

I don't care at all about any of those other games microsuck seems to want to push, so that's also a kick to the nuts. Other than Cuphead, nothing is on my radar now.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
The game looked pretty bad from the gameplay trailers. The weapons had no kick, tiny numbers on giant enemies, the protagonist would talk nonstop similar to Sonic Boom.

Kinda glad Platinum got freed from this one.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder how many people are crying right now over this news (the ones who wanted to buy it)?
I was actually intrigued by the concept of the game and was hoping that it would turn out alright despite not owning an Xbone.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Man do I feel for the developers for working on the game for 2+ years only for Microsoft to say "nope, not going to happen!"
For people treating it as work, it may be fine but it must suck for people who find passion in game development.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
09philj said:
...and a console based Monster Hunter like game would probably find a sizeable audience, since actual Monster Hunter is now a 3DS series.
Come now, do you really think its a coincidence that MHXX and the Switch both just happen to be releasing in March?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hah! That's fucking hilarious. The only vaguely interesting game in Microsoft's entire lineup, and it got cancelled. Meanwhile, Nier Automata is shaping up to be a goddamn masterpiece, if its pedigree is anything to go by. I clearly backed the right horse this generation. Microsoft can announce all the perks they want, but Sony is killing them in the only area that actually matters. Bloodborne was possibly the game of the generation, The Last of Us was a fucking masterpiece, and it's getting a sequel, and Persona 5 is a Sony exclusive title. Meanwhile, the only thing Microsoft can scrape up are... Halo and Gears of War. Again.

I don't normally get this much schadenfreude from a company performing below expectations, but fuck me does Microsoft deserve it.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
Screw Microsoft, they do this crap all the time. The Xbox One is a miserable disaster. Its lineup gets worse and worse every single time. This was the only interesting game they had

Enough, Sony all the way now!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Blitsie said:
Scarim Coral said:
I wonder how many people are crying right now over this news (the ones who wanted to buy it)?
It was kind of my very last reason to keep my Xbox One.....Guess whats being sold for money for the Switch fund now!

Freaking tragic though regardless, Platinum's one of the very, very few legit dev studios out there that can still create games which contain that same magic you experienced as a kid back when you just started getting into gaming. And Scalebound looked and sounded like it could possibly be one of those too.

*sigh* I hope Nier Automata ends up being great and bringing in some dough and recognition for them at least, this studio is packed to the brim with talent and has made some genre defining yet so underappreciated games, they deserve some awesome stuff happening to them for a change!
Yeah, Automata is on my radar now and I did not expect it at all. I have a PC so I can only see what others are saying but people seem really excited about the demo.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hawki said:
Saelune said:
Hawki said:
Poor Platinum. First Bayonetta 2 being tied to the WiiU, now this, coupled with a series of tie-in games.
Nintendo let them make a game that would not have been made otherwise.
I'm not debating that, but my point is that I'm guessing that if Platinum could have made Bayonetta 2 multi-platform, they would have, rather than having to rely on Nintendo to publish it in exchange for exclusivity.
Same thing happened with Journey, don't see anybody continuing to complain that it was an exclusive...maybe there's a bias here???

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
weirdee said:
Hawki said:
Saelune said:
Hawki said:
Poor Platinum. First Bayonetta 2 being tied to the WiiU, now this, coupled with a series of tie-in games.
Nintendo let them make a game that would not have been made otherwise.
I'm not debating that, but my point is that I'm guessing that if Platinum could have made Bayonetta 2 multi-platform, they would have, rather than having to rely on Nintendo to publish it in exchange for exclusivity.
Same thing happened with Journey, don't see anybody continuing to complain that it was an exclusive...maybe there's a bias here???
Who said anything about complaining? I'm just guessing that most developers would prefer their games to be released on as many platforms as possible, and that for Platinum, releasing a Wii U exclusive sequel to a non-exclusive first installment might not have been pleasant. Certainly not complaining personally, as very few of Platinum's games interest me, and Bayonetta isn't among them.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
-Meanwhile, in Kyoto-

PG: Er, you guys mind lending us a hand?

Nintendo: By all means.

In all seriousness, this is my problem with MS and, to a lesser extent, Sony in that they don't cultivate a proper lineup of 1st party titles and instead use 3rd parties as a crutch. I really don't get why they killed this other than bad management.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
o_o Really glad I decided to hold off on getting the Xbox One until after this came out; it isn't that the system doesn't have games on it I'd play, mind you, but there's a difference between 'A Game I'd Play On A System I Own' and 'A Game I'd Buy A System To Play.' Sunset Overdrive is still more or less the only game in that second category for me right now. Crackdown 3 might become the next, but my 'wait and see' attitude has gotten even more determined.

Wonder how much Microsoft already had invested in this product before canning it. Last generation the Xbox 360 saw a relatively dry later half insofar as exclusives when Microsoft started to focus their energy on the Kinect, with more focus on what became the 'holy trinity' of Gears, Halo and Forza. Titles like Scalebound had me hoping that they were going to put more emphasis on variety this time around, and while they've made some progress, it's not as much as it appeared to be a few years ago.

Hoping that the loss they've taken from both this and Fable Legends doesn't start dissuading them from branching outside their comfort zone. :/