Scared of Watchdogs

Ryanrulez5

Nov 24, 2010
Allot of People have gotten Watchdogs early by playing it offline and they have talked they have said alot of bad things about the game that might have some points to it but I don't know if they are telling the truth or trolling I'm just a little scared Watchdogs may not be the game we got hyped for back in 2012. Opinion?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wait till reviews and gameplay videos pop up if you're that worried. Reviews to see the points on the story and whatnot and gameplay vids for... gameplay. If you have a preorder, I'd suggest dropping it for now an wait and see.

I do plan on picking it up day one myself. I really need a game to play for my PS4.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Ryanrulez5 said:
I'm just a little scared Watchdogs may not be the game we got hyped for back in 2012. Opinion?
Of course it isn't. Have you seen gameplay videos? Shooting mechanics are outdated and lazy as fuck, car handling is abysmal and every car accelerates from 0 to 60 in less than a second and hacking is not even a minigame. Just a press of a button.

It's another Ubisoft game. By that I mean it's a free roaming game with absolutely zero challenge, broken mechanics and it relies entirely on overabundance of meaningless collectibles. These people don't know what good game design is. Granted, Blood Dragon is an exception because it was a product of love and it was too short to have all those issues. But overall, every Ubisoft game in the last 6 years had followed the same pattern. You keep doing meaningless things to unlock meaningless upgrades and get meaningless collectibles in order to feel like you've accomplished something. Instead of focusing on balance and challenge when they design equipment that players can use, Ubisoft thinks that putting a bunch of similar shit all over the place is a better idea. So you have 10 assault rifles in Far Cry 3 that do the exact same thing, just with slightly different stats and you have dozens of swords in Assassin's Creed games that do the same shit with slightly different stats. And then you have to collect a bunch of other crap to craft a bunch of crap so you could carry more crap. They even managed to put a little bit of this awful game design in Splinter Cell. They are insane!

To make the matters worse, instead of making collectibles important and challenging to find, they scatter hundreds of "hidden" chests filled with meaningless crap all over their worlds, and then they even tell you where to find them. I am willing to bet that Watch Dogs will have something similar, just disguised in a different way because it's a different setting.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
^Just had me thinking now, my absolute biggest gripe with Black Flag was the fact that such a major part of the game was built on exploration and whatnot, yet from the start nearly everything is already revealed to you; want to see what end-game gear you'll be having? No problem just quickly scroll through the weapon and armor lists in the menu and you'll even get nice visual representations of them! Found a new island? Cool here's absolutely everything worth checking out marked on the mini map for you! I understand you can turn off the map and just ignore the icons, but man, even after trying that it just didn't feel...right. Never before have I played a game that sabotaged itself like that, still a very worthwhile AC game though, but Ubisoft definitely has to get off their high horse and reconsider some things.

But went completely off topic there, anyway, wait it out for another week or two before giving it a final verdict, I won't deny that I'm also quite skeptical at the moment (the gameplay footage in the Clueless Gamer review looked very dull to be quite honest) and I honestly have only heard rather disheartening things about the game so far, but lets give this the benefit of the doubt maybe and see how it goes. Tuesday is right around the corner at least.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Jasper van Heycop said:
Don't forget the "climb tower to get area map" feature! Also critical to the Ubisoft design philosophy (or stupidity if you will)! I bet you'll be climbing tons of skyscrapers and "hacking" to find mission objectives...
Oh, we already know that's going to be in the game. They bragged about it. You'll have to hack certain security centers so you could hack other parts of the city. Why? Because you gotta give players something to do, and the illusion of challenge is better than nothing.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I've not played it or seen a proper playthrough of the game but it has never really interested me.
It doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table, It's supposed to be about hacking but from what ive seen that involves pushing a button and that's it.
Other features include bullet time, again, nothing new.

perhaps it has a good story?
I dunno, like I said I haven't played it. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
It was never going to be what was promised after the reveal trailers, the kind of shit they were promising looked like someone at Ubisoft had hired Peter Molyneux to do their PR.

The graphics were never going to be what was promised considering that the game is still coming out on 360 PS3 and WiiU, unless Ubisoft could have accomplished something no other game company has ever done, there was always going to be a graphics downgrade compared to what was shown.

Gameplay wise, yeah I don't know how much of it you believed, but there was no way in hell the hacking was going to be as dynamic as portrayed in the early releases. From gameplay trailers, it looks like the hacking mostly comes into play in the little sectioned off areas where you hack CTOS towers, beyond that its there for flavor or sidemissions and it lets you push a button to set up obstacles during chase scenes. From what I've seen in gameplay videos, it still looks fun, but it's not really anything that hasn't been done before in other games, just with a hacking motif rather than superpowers or sneaking or something else.

There's already gameplay videos out there, so go watch some and judge the game for yourself. Even if the game gets 7.0 scores across the board, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, so the game might not be GOTY material, so What? Play what you want to play.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Or you could just wait until a solid source of information comes out, might be good or it might not in either case these aren't your children for whom you need to fret... they are just products and a new one will come along right after.

For my part, it looked like a dull concept from the very first outing and I don't see that improving with the best of productions, but this is down to my dislike for insta-win mechanics and empty characters.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
no game lives up to it's hype.. it might be quite good like Batman Arkham City was, but i can't think of any game that was hyped up and then delivered on all of that hype

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Oh, from the title i assumed you were scared of actual dogs, to which i could've related, since i was Cynophobic most of my life and the mere sight of a larger dog causes my body to freeze and my heartrate increase :(

Well, about the game. I wasn't one of the people that thought it's even gonna be any good, sooo i'm not surprised one bit, but i havent played it, so i cant tell much

Apr 5, 2008
Ryanrulez5 said:
Allot of People have gotten Watchdogs early by playing it offline and they have talked they have said alot of bad things about the game that might have some points to it but I don't know if they are telling the truth or trolling I'm just a little scared Watchdogs may not be the game we got hyped for back in 2012. Opinion?
In short, it's good but not great. It's not up to the hype, not even close, but it's good.

Starting with the bad:
- Driving is horrendous. It's so bad I am actively avoiding driving missions where possible and being chased by police is such a horrid experience I simply stop and let them arrest me. The radio stations also pipe out terrible music, so much so it's the first sandbox game I've actively turned off the car music. Driving responsiveness is negligible. ie. you only give general suggestions to the vehicle (stop, go, turn) and it takes it under consideration.
- Not only is the music horrid noise, the car radio often pushes news/talk show broadcasts, ostensibly world building. So I get in a car, disable music. Mandatory radio comes on, I can't change it. I stop car, get out, get back in, turn off music again and then drive on. RARRGH!
- The shooting isn't great. It's "functional" but there's no satisfying gunplay to be found. Think Resident Evil 4, but with strafing, only much more ungainly. I tried an AR (Alternate Reality) shooting minigame and aiming was an absolute chore.
- The story is entirely forgettable. Seriously, I don't understand it from one mission to the next. Characters are entirely bland and I cannot describe any of them such that you could guess who I was talking about.
- Aeden is bland and grizzled. He has stumpy legs and wears a stupid outfit. He also outright narrates what's going on. I can't tell if it's a "clever" 4th wall break, condescending me or he is just stupid.
- Controls are cumbersome. There are so many functions and menus it puts Far Cry 3 to shame. I've failed missions on multiple occasions because my control of Aeden is rudimentary. The menu is horrid to navigate and there's a lot of stuff whose functions I can't even guess at. I don't understand the need for a horrid sticky cover system at all (Splinter Cell style).
- Autosave only, no way to manually save. Also no way at all to change FoV in-game. It's just playable, but not comfortably so.

The meat and veg:
- There are towers to climb. At the start of the game, Aeden is only "patched in" to one section of the city. You have to install "backdoors" as it were in these towers to get access to ctOS ("City OS") in different areas and unlock side missions/minigames. It's unnecessary busy work, but is entertaining enough.
- "Hacking" is a button press. Tell a lie, it's a "Press and hold". Wouldn't want it to be too easy now. In fairness, if it was any more complicated it would get very old, very fast. You will press this button more often than any other (except maybe sprint) as you control cameras, unlock doors and hack boxes which...are just boxes and don't actually do anything except tell you that you hacked them (and an XP reward). Hacking people is rewarding enough to make it worth doing (you get lots of money from their bank accounts).
- Minigames. There are so many minigames. In fairness, they're fun for a time but I only did just enough to get the unlockable rewards. There are achievements for persevering but f**k that shit. There's a "Follow the Queen" game with cups and a ball, there's a "drinking game" which involves trying to move a drunken reticle over QTE prompts and the one I quite liked (guessing from my name), Chess Puzzles. You have a chess board and limited moves to solve the puzzle (eg. mate in 1-2 moves). I found the last 3 levels hard and time consuming enough that I actually programmed it into a chess program to solve for me (mate in 3 moves).
- You can unlock weapons and vehicles by doing 5 of this side mission, 10 of the other. Vehicles are used with a Saints Row 3 style "Car Delivery" app, but is pointless when one of Aeden's first skill unlocks disabling all car alarms so he can steal anything. Neither cars nor weapons are upgradeable/modifiable.
- There are the usual weapon types available, and each category has weapons from 1* to 5*. They can be bought or unlocked. Annoyingly, the best SMG in the game is an unlock for getting heavily involved in the multiplayer. Saying that, there's a better AR available in SP anyway so it's not a huge loss. Each of the obvious categories has one silenced option.
- You cannot customise Aeden or change his outfit, at all, but we can reskin/retexture it. You can buy the different skins from the clothes store (same outfit, different colour combinations, textures (eg. leather, wool, etc) and caps.
- There are four skill trees with multiple branches: Driving, Hacking, Crafting, Combat. Higher skills are locked until story is progressed enough, because they are. Crafting unlocks new/more gadgets, driving does nothing discernibly useful whatsoever, combat is the usual fire pistols faster, take more damage, etc. Hacking is the good stuff though...the first skills let you use those bollards in the roads like in the videos, disable all car alarms, and more. The later skills sound like fun ways to have more tactical options in approaching missions.

The Good:
- The city itself is pretty nice. No, it's not "next gen" or whatever, but it's the best of "last gen" and looks good. But it's so polished and with the "Profiler" turned on (the function that lets you hack people's info) it's alive like a digital playground. Traffic flow, especially when I mess with the lights is quite organic.
- There's a binary-morality system depending on how you solve side missions, where people hate or admire you. I went from hated to admired and saw some cool changes. I hacked one person having a text conversation about how cool it was that I was right there next to them. Made me smile.
- Though I loathe the driving, there're are plenty of other things to keep occupied. Almost overwhelmingly so but since stuff unlocks as you play it's generally manageable. Some stuff makes no sense, like why Aeden would be investigating criminal activities but it's gameplay I suppose. I like the vigilante missions even though I suck at them and all activities are rewarding, either money, XP or both. Fixer missions are mostly driving and/or driving while being chased by police, both are so horrid I now avoid them (after having done just enough to unlock the rewards).
- There are some cool missions to look forward to, tailored to being a hacker in a fully connected city. Using the hacking in this manner (timing, distractions, explosions, activating equipment) is good fun and I'm looking forward to seeing later missions like this. IMO, this is where the game shines and the premise is fulfilled.

I think this game is like the first AssCreed in a way. It wasn't itself a particularly good game, but it had some good ideas in it. This one similarly has many, many things I don't like or enjoy (driving sucks, shooting sucks, music sucks, controls and menus suck, story sucks, Aeden sucks, forgettable characters, no customisation) but there is enough good to make it playable (in a typical sandbox manner). In a similar way to AssCreed 2, maybe Watch Dogs 2 can sort out the big problems and build on the strengths.

The 5 LEs, bullshots, poor press and so on haven't done any good for Ubi or the game. If you go in thinking you're in for the GotY or a much needed "next gen" experience, you'll be disappointed; it's not a GotY or next-gen. It is however a good game with lots to do and if you're after an actiony-sandbox, it'll scratch your itch. It's not as good as older titles like Mafia 2, The Saboteur, Saints Row 3/4 or Far Cry 3 and TBH, if not for getting it early via a friend in the biz, I wouldn't have paid full-whack for it.

Still, it's playable and interesting enough to be worth a look by anyone interested in sandbox games. There is a freedom to explore, tackle content in whatever order and in most missions, many ways in which to tackle it. There are some cool moments to be found, though it takes a lot of looking to find them.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Review Snip
Thanks a lot for sharing that much info about the game, I really appreciate it. I was thinking it might be a day one buy but horrible driving in a city sandbox (worse than GTA IV?) might alone move it down to "pick it up on sale". Thanks again.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
http://www.twitch.tv/messirolive

Good German stream going on right now of the free roam mode. Everything is on Ultra on the PC. Looks pretty solid to me

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Yeah I've been seeing more footage of this game and I find it pretty interesting.

Will probably grab it and play it on Tuesday. Gotta finish Killer is Dead until then.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
First Impressions (PS4):
Combats more or less by the book generic third person stuff.
Stealth is sort of like Hitman's, though not as well executed.
Hacking seems to be more used for stealth work, effectively functioning as diversions or observation methods (your early on hacks include viewing through security cameras, and blackouting the lights).

Cars look worse then anything else ingame, and the driving is satisfactory level at best. This is compounded by the fact that once you start driving, you start seeing buildings, traffic lights, etc popping in constantly.

The rest of the graphics aren't competitive with the big performers of last gen (Last of Us, GTA 5, etc), but serviceable. The main thing I noticed off the bat (other then driving pop ins) was the lighting seemed terribly undynamic, with no or few shadows (this being one of the things you look for in stealth sections).

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Seth Carter said:
The rest of the graphics aren't competitive with the big performers of last gen (Last of Us, GTA 5, etc), but serviceable. The main thing I noticed off the bat (other then driving pop ins) was the lighting seemed terribly undynamic, with no or few shadows (this being one of the things you look for in stealth sections).
Do shadows actually effect stealth in this game? I'd imagine they aren't very dynamic because what I've seen from the trailers seems to indicate that the stealth is mostly based on line of sight, and the only time light seems to even matter is when the blackout power gets used, and that seems to function more like a fancy flashbang than actually effecting the stealth in any meaningful matter.

Thanks to you and Kingsgambit by the way, the original leaked review sucked ass, it's nice to actually see some useful breakdowns starting to leak out.