Scariest Game You've Played. (Caution: SPOILERS!)

darrinwright

Oct 1, 2008
The first Silent Hill (PS1). I've played scary games since then, but that one STILL gets me a bit unnerved when I think about it.

"Zombie Dogs!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG"

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
I once played the demo of Condemned 2. Too scary for me, I like brightly coloured and cheery RPGs. (No not JRPGs)

Digitalpotato

Aug 29, 2008
-That weird Frankenstein thing in King's Quest VII that would randomly jump out of nowhere and glomp Rosella, causing a game over. My sister actually screamed when that showed up.

-that sorceress appearing out of nowhere if you breathe the wrong way in her house.

-Ghosts jumping out of nowhere in Fatal Frame

-Not being able to outrun Mrs. Takato in Siren.

-Trying to fight the Datatsuchi in Siren.

-Pyramid head.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Bioshock.

I usually tend to stay away from Horror games, and at the time didn't know it was one when I got it. Boy, was I in for a surprise. Even the beginning when you just see the splicer was lurking around I was afraid to move forward for five long minutes thinking "What the hell do I kill her with?!"

Damn good game, and now don't mind Horror games as much anymore.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Fatal Frame. Simple as that.

A friend of mine played it for a few hours, and afterwards refused to play it after 7pm unless a few people were over. And this guy was into horror films and had all the Silent Hill and RE games. Scaring him wasn't easy.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Phoenix Arrow post=9.72737.776057 said:
See, when you watch that section on it's own, it's like what's the big deal? But when you're playing through it, you get so drawn in. It's seriously unlike any game I've played and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
This is why I think a good horror game > a good horror film.
Agreed. Seen out of context and isolated, these moments aren't that scary, but believe me, when you're playing the game, they're really, really unnerving. That bit with the mannequins is the second scariest moment I've ever experienced in a game. It literally made my heart race. But you have to understand, what makes Condemned work so well (for the first three quarters of the game, anyway) is that it keeps you incredibly tense and never lets you relax. It gradually amps up the tension so that the impact of even the smallest scare becomes magnified tenfold.

The scariest moment, by the way, is while you're in the closet in Silent Hill 2, watching Pyramid Head through the slats.

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
Brothers in arms: Hell's Highway, The hospital map when frankie pops out when you're behind the wall, scared the crap outta me.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
Doom 3...when the demon dog is trying to bust his way in to that tiny room you're trapped in. I swear I held my breath that entire minute...then he just breaks through the glass and bites your face off. Good times!

Syber_Sid

Apr 11, 2008
The orphanage mission in thief 3. The first half featured no enemies at all, but it still took me 30+ minutes because I was scared shitless. The second half was horrifying.

buggy65

Aug 13, 2008
I get scare pretty easy... although I love horror mythology.

However, (you people are going to make fun of me for this) the first time I played Cortana on Halo 3 and I heard the squish of the fleashy earth beneath my feet, I was all "Ew ew ew, I do not want to be here! I DO NOT WANT TO BE HERE!"

... and then the fist time I shot one of those blisters, baby FLood came out and revived dead bodies into those "Tank" Flood (4 of em at once). I was not a happy camper.

Archetype

Oct 1, 2008
To be honest I don't play many scary games. But 5 Days a Stranger, a game by Yahtzee, still freaks the crap out of me. Whenever I go to a shower I keep looking behind me to see if there is that guy with the apron, murderer mask and a machete.

frostyleopard

Oct 1, 2008
In Half Life 2: Ep 2, the part where you first see the zombies scared me. I was playing the demo, had never played a Half Life game before. I killed all the zombies, and went down into the little underground place (where the floor collapses after you walk over it) to see what was there. A zombie pops up right in my face, and I jumped about five feet before I shot it. Ravenholm was a bit creepy too, especially the fast zombies.