School can't bar 14 year old girl over nose piercing, on the basis of religion

Sep 9, 2010
mad825 said:
and~ one step back for the U.S.

It seems very amazing with the shit that could be exempt for "religious" reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if that rule gets abused now.
Please look at everything in modern politics (in the US)
I dont agree with something so "UNCONSTITUTIONAL! WE CANT SUPPORT PEOPLE BY SOCIALIZING HEALTHCARE!"
Why? "ITS UNCONSTITUTIONAL"
or "THE CONSTITUTION WAS BASED ON THE BIBLE ERGO THE BIBLE IS LAW"
Want more examples? Google Fox News
OT: rant over. The first ammendmant garantees freedom of religion and in every accredited school across the nation it says
"Students cannot be discriminated against for religious beliefs, sex, sexuality, appearance, nationality" etc. So yeah

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
So this is protected, but people still get in trouble for praying or wearing a cross necklace.
I LOVE DOUBLE STANDARDS!

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Kryzantine said:
School also has dress code violations for short skirts, sagging pants, and "abnormal hair color"? WTF constitutes abnormal hair color?
Well it can be a good thing if it sticks, though likely the rest of the nation will look at it as bullshit, I mean come on . . . I just read the article, not to mention being Wiccan (someone who would likely be thrown out for wearing religious markings at a school) and I STILL don't quite believe it. It's a bit of a stretch . . .

as for abdonimal body hair color . . . DO NOT ASK. If it's something like that, it happened because there's a precedent, and that means there has been a problem in the past at that school with students having colored abdomeninal body hair . . . now . . . what the hair was exactly, and why it was colored, is not something we want to know most likely. So DO. NOT. ASK.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
School should be about learning and not about fashion statements. If you want to work in the real world, there aren't many jobs out there that allow visible piercings/tattoos/abnormal hair colors for professional reasons. Also facial hair can be put on the list of banned from this job.
Sometimes life isnt' about getting what you want, sometimes you have to knuckle down and do something you don't like to get ahead.

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
amaranth_dru said:
School should be about learning and not about fashion statements. If you want to work in the real world, there aren't many jobs out there that allow visible piercings/tattoos/abnormal hair colors for professional reasons. Also facial hair can be put on the list of banned from this job.
Sometimes life isnt' about getting what you want, sometimes you have to knuckle down and do something you don't like to get ahead.
yay i was looking for a reply like this. sometimes you gotta follow a path and sometimes you get to make your own, everyone gets these choices at some point. more and more people prefer making a mess of a path they have to follow to get what they want. Next up, church of body purification via total nudity, it could probably be a real legally recognized church for under 1,000$ and a dozen members

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
so... they subscribed to, "you dont' like it so i'm going to use religious conviction loopholes to get by it" Douches.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
The really ironic part is that this is just the sort of thing that'll make more kids want various piercings. When is it that adults are going to figure out that whatever they tell kids to do or not do, makes them want to do the exact opposite?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I don't mind (and actually like) the idea of having school uniform, but getting suspended because of a nose piercing is just stupid.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
And here comes the abuse for that exception...

Dango said:
I don't mind (and actually like) the idea of having school uniform, but getting suspended because of a nose piercing is just stupid.
Especially if it's your religion.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
I don't get why they'd suspend someone over a nose piercing anyways. Do they have something against individuality?

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Oh, there is so many things wrong with this.
I think I'll just lol at it instead of condemn.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Hmm... um... cool? That certainly is different for a religion but I guess, whatever floats your boat.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I don't really see what the problem with facial piercings is. How can they possibly be disruptive? We must truly believe that our children are retarded if we think that they will be distracted by shinny things.

"Timmy, why did you fail maths?"
"Well d'uh mum, I was too bus-e looking at dat der'm shinny dings dat were up on dat der ladies faces derum."
"CURSE YOU CHURCH OF BODY MODIFICATION!!!"

I'm not saying that people with learning disabilities like that don't exist, but the majority of children are able to cope with a bit of shine in the class. As for 'abnormal hair colours', I'd be really surprised if colours turn out to be a distraction. Most primary class rooms are as colourful as fuck, I'm calling bullshit on that part of the dress code. I'd wager that the teachers or whoever put that dress code in place just feels threatened by the 'punk' look.

But, saying that, this student had better take the fucking things out during P.E because there is no way in hell that this bullshit religion will stop the parents from suing when their daughter gets half her face ripped off while playing dodge ball.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
DarkDain said:
amaranth_dru said:
yay i was looking for a reply like this. sometimes you gotta follow a path and sometimes you get to make your own, everyone gets these choices at some point. more and more people prefer making a mess of a path they have to follow to get what they want. Next up, church of body purification via total nudity, it could probably be a real legally recognized church for under 1,000$ and a dozen members
This kind of crap is why the world so messed up, I have the right to do this, that, and, the other.
All advance society really is our ancestors stopped doing what they what for them self and conformed for the betterment of others. I don't want sheep I want wolves something that will fight to be head of the pack but at the same time will work for the betterment of the pack.

All this me only stuff is a drain. Me only I don't want to conform to things like laws. So now we have over crowed prison. I don't want to conform and work for smart. So we dumb it down to the point the education system is a joke.
-rant over

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Fire Daemon said:
But, saying that, this student had better take the fucking things out during P.E because there is no way in hell that this bullshit religion will stop the parents from suing when their daughter gets half her face ripped off while playing dodge ball.
Doesn't matter since a lot of schools are taking Dodge Ball out of PE since someone might get hurt. And tag out of recess because it might make someone feel bad when they get "it".

Also in response to the hair color thing, I have spoken to some school officials who have instituted hair policies in the dress code, and it comes from preparing students to enter the professional world. I can't tell you how many jobs wouldn't take me back when I had blue hair that went past my shoulders and facial piercings (and I'm not talking about jobs that require college degrees).
All in all, unless you're working in "counter-culture" shops or Hot Topic there aren't many jobs that do allow non-natural hair colors.