School District Goes All "Big Brother" on Students

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
yeti585 said:
aba1 said:
I thought a school was supposed to resemble a learning environment not a prison?
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA--My sides!--Hahahahah... wait you're serious?
Well think about it they tell you what you can and cannot say, where you can and cannot go, what you can and cannot wear, when and what you have to do, you have no say in anything that happens, even what you can or cannot eat. What about all that sounds like a place that isn't essentially a prison? The only thing that is really any different is that they can't physically force you but instead essentially have your future hostage. Do what we say or you will be a bum on the street for the rest of your life sorta scenario.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Fappy said:
Also, saying "of course this is in Texas" does not qualify as contributing to the conversation.
Well I was going to say, "Wait, this is in Texas? Really? Texas, that place renowned for being as red as Mars, only a little bit redder? Something this Big Governmenty in Texas sounds like it would be doomed from its inception."

Maybe that's a stereotyping though, but either way it's sliced, this is nuttier than my Trail Mix.

loch belthadd

Aug 20, 2010
The best thing to do is keep your ID in a faraday cage. They can't track you, you still have it with you, and the best part is that they can't say anything about it.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I suppose I am bias though... I had a tough time in school because I obeyed rules, and now I work for an organisation that has a second law system on top of the national one, strict rules, strict uniform and they like to know where we are! :p
What sort of area are you working in, if you don't mind me asking (or can answer without having to kill all who read)?

I am personally on the side of disagreeing. I think is is an unacceptable invasion of privacy and shows a complete disregard for basic human rights as has probably already been said by over half the commentators on this thread. I would quite like some people to explain to me how it could possibly be viewed as anything else.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Doesn't seem too harsh. I mean, as long as you only have to carry it with you while you're in school it's no worse than surveillance cameras.
Surveillance cameras in schools are also unacceptable.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Oh Wow, Not being able to vote for homecoming?!? That would REALLY deter me from turning down a complete invasion of my privacy. -_-

OT; Yes, It is Bullshit. Even though I am the sterotypical good kid in high school, you would think they would look for a legit way of making kids come to school and be engaged rather than just taking the easy way out.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Tax payer's money put to good use to ensure that tax dollars aren't wasted. Invasion of privacy to stop you from doing what? Sex? Smoking? Skipping? Get your ass back in class!

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
It will condition the next generation and beyond to accept being tracked. It is not ok, in my opinion.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Surely tracking where they are at all times is not a necessity.

I've seen something similar implemented at another school, where instead you scan your ID card when entering the school grounds, school buildings and classrooms, and then scan your card again on the way out.

Surely that would be the greatest middle ground. The school gets to know whether students are at school or not, and it is much less invasive on the students.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Fappy said:
As of this moment: 10666 posts. Not bad, Fappy, not bad.

But yeah, it'll be extremely weird getting used to your new avatar. That cat...basically my entire existence on this site...damn.

thebobmaster said:
Fappy said:
Maybe for you. I have a feeling you aren't the only person who knows me more by name than avatar.
I'm afraid to disappoint...but I actually only remember your avatar and don't remember your name at all. But I definitely remember your avatar. Because I love Tali.

Edit: Oh, right, the article. I believe a thread was posted about this a few months ago, unless it was posted on a different forum, and I spent a good deal of time bitching about these chips. This definitely isn't the first that I've heard of them and I'm sadly certain that it won't be the last. What's wrong with just using security cameras like normal paranoid school districts?

My high school felt shady enough, and it only had like six security cameras that only covered maybe 10% of the whole school's area (barring the pool area, which was well-filmed). I can't imagine how sketched I'd feel about those chips, and I followed the rules. (Well, in high school at least)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
chadachada123 said:
Fappy said:
As of this moment: 10666 posts. Not bad, Fappy, not bad.

But yeah, it'll be extremely weird getting used to your new avatar. That cat...basically my entire existence on this site...damn.
I'm sorry bro. I'll make the next avatar extra amazing for you :D

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
While I appreciate the sentiment of the system (kids do need to show up), I think it's an extremely flawed system. People will easily skip just by giving it to their friend outside and walking away, while the people who actually show up will be inconvenienced at best. In fact, that sounds a bit familiar...

Oh.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Fappy said:
If successful, the tracking program could save the district as much as $175,000 lost daily to low attendance figures, which in part determine school funding. Higher attendance could lead to more state funding in the neighborhood of $1.7 million.
This is the problem.
Whoever decided funding can be cut based on truancy, and then figured that these new IDs + monitoring duties is going to be cheap needs to have his/her head examined... or in the custom of his/her native state of Texas - shot.

OT: Does anyone else wish that Texas would just secede from the union already? I'm tired of even being associated with them as a whole.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Fappy said:
Essentially this school district's so bad on attendance they are sticking RFID tags on their students like they're packages in transit. This is highly unethical and a huge invasion of privacy if you ask me. What do you guys think?

Also, saying "of course this is in Texas" does not qualify as contributing to the conversation.

K thanx :D
I think "- sticking RFID tags on their students like they're packages in transit." is pushing it.

All of the students at my Highschool have student IDs. We need it so the school can keep track of who attended/used what and when. Remember guys an RFID is just a card you'd use to unlock a door at work or something. I use it every day to get into the office and get into the datacenter. How is using a student ID to sign out a laptop or sign in to study hall any different?

Though Texas did blow it out of the water by forcing people with religious concerns to transfer. I think that break the first amendment. And how is using RFIDs going to improve attendance? Students need to actually show up for that.

Just remember US citizens, this is your tax money.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
And of course it-

Fappy said:
Well, screw you too then, Fappy! D:<

This is pretty messed up, though. I'm not sure what I'd do if my school forced me to have an RFID on me at all times.

Also, I did have to get a lol or two from the girl who compared it to the Mark of the Beast.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
As a student, I honestly don't see a problem with it.
Wear it to school, take it off after and leave it in the car, a locker, or at home.
They should probably do something to make it turn off after school hours, but yeah.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
Greets!

This sounds like a great idea! I'm sure there are pleanty of respectable individuals out there that would like to know exact location and movement patterns of young students coming to and from school. White party vans with blacked out windows, anyone?

To come from a serious standpoint, I personally go not fret over the tracking system itself, but more on how that information can be used. If the tracking chips are active outside of school, this could needlessly place students in danger to attacks and assaults from predators, as only a system that can detect these chips would be needed outside of the school.

But hey, I've nothing to fear, as this is not my community. If they wish to go all big brother and find that their students are suddenly unable to attend their schools because of ~other~ reasons than just skipping out, they can go right ahead. The rest of us can learn where it went wrong.