School or Work?

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
Heya everybody I come to the forums to not only establish myself but also seek help and advice.

Here's my problem. Due to the Economy my mom lost her job and bills are piling up, so in a sense of sacrifice and being constantly bitched by someone I won't name here. I want to somewhat quit college because 1. It feels like I'm getting rusty and 2. It seems I'm not really making a impact in my classes one of them being Elementary Algebra, along with this fact that if I past this and my other two classes I start my majors next semester, and start working on to make the cash flow return back to the family and finally have a little spending money for myself I got advice from some people I know in college with me and they say "Don't quit." or "Tough It out" or "Try to do both" so I come to you guys asking for your advice so what should I do?

Off Topic-Thanks capcha you gave me a quote to end with

in the limelight, we all have our moment to shine bright.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm sorry your family is having trouble. The truth of the matter is, you're almost certain to be more qualified for work that could seriously help your family if you stick through college. It's a bad old economy out there, and sadly, even a degree won't guarantee you employment, but at least it puts you in a different class of competition.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
I'm gonna say try to do both. Unless you plan on being a self-starter just having a degree tends to open a lot of doors that would have been otherwise locked tight. My father-in-law doesn't have a degree, but he DOES have over 30 years of experience in his field and he STILL has gotten passed over for jobs because he never got a degree.

It's worth it to stick it out (just make sure your degree has some worth).

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
There's nothing wrong with quitting college now and going back later, if your family is really desperate for money right now. Honestly though, I would try to do both, if you can.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
There is a middle road. Military service. They will pay you, AND school you. At least they do in the states. 90% of the jobs are non-combative, as well.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
You could try both. You could also postpone your course for a year or so and pick up where you left off when you are on better footing.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
newfoundsky said:
There is a middle road. Military service. They will pay you, AND school you. At least they do in the states. 90% of the jobs are non-combative, as well.
I agree wholeheartedly. OP, look to see what the military can offer you. Most people don't know this but the military looks after its own, and they help you in a number of ways financially. Right now, however, it's pretty competitive, and it'll be really hard to be an officer. But try enlisting in the air force for a bare minimum and see if they have any loans available. Even spending just two years in the military will make great resume fodder and entitle you to privileges if you consider federal employment.

My younger brother is in the Naval Academy and the Navy gave him a big fat loan which he just spent a good chunk of it on a new car.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Do both. Many people have done it - 6-8 hours at school, then a few more at work and go home to sleep. Repeat 3-5 days a work, then work a few hours to a full day one weekend day, catch up on schoolwork and rest the other. It's not fun - believe me, but it can be done. I've worked 20 hours a week plus 6-8 hours of school with a 1-hour each way commute. I was a wreck, but I've done it.

Do not EVER give up your own future and education for your family. If your family are at all decent people, they will be angerier with you for giving up than anything. If they expect you to forgo your own future to support, do not do it. They are not your children. You may feel a sense of duty in doing so, but don't.

I did it, I didn't go to school full time and instead cared for my mother and I have bitter feelings about doing it to this day. It's always there between us and it's ruined our relationship somewhat. You never get over it, you will always be resentful. Don't.

Go to school. Work as much as you can in your off hours. Live. Your mother is an adult, she'll figure it out and do what needs to be done. No good mother would ever ask her children to sacrifice their education.

verdestylo13

Dec 25, 2011
Speaking as someone who worked 2 jobs and attended all my classes ... DO BOTH.
Do not give up on education! Don't know where you are located...but there are programs to help students in your situation. Please call your state rep (if you have one or the equivalent in your country and try to find out if there is funding for you or a flexible job that can accommodate your needs. Supermarkets are very good for this in the USA. Reach out to any one or organization that you think can help. Look in the local paper where you are. If you make the effort to ask for help... It may take a long while but you will get some.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I'd try for both if you can. Colleges often have work available for students on and off campus thanks to collaborative efforts with local businesses. You could easily work 20 to 30 hours a week while still remaining in school, even if you have to lighten your school load some.

If you can't work because of the school schedule but feel you need to, there's no problem with stopping for a while then continuing. You'd be better off in the long run with a degree but I can understand not wanting any debt (if you're in the first two years, definitely go with a community college).

Also as stated above, you could join the military. They'll pay for your school and your family will receive some benefits from it as well.

Oct 27, 2010
I would have to agree. Do both. When I was still living in California I was going to college and having to work 2 jobs just to get by. It totally sucked and no one should have to do it, but that's just the state of the world we live in today. tough cookies.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
thanks for the advice guys I'm also helping out my mom trying to find her somewhere to work and I was thinking on taking the military route and join the Air Force since I have a little XP with computers but one of my college mates told me I will have to be able to run 5 miles probably without stop so yeah...but I am going to keep looking and hopefully I'm gonna get out of this hole I'm in. and btw I know it the first post I know I made it sound like my mom is constantly bitching me out to find a job, she's not she only ***** when it's time to go to class each morning it's somebody else that lives with us that is constantly bitching about me getting a job not her, so sorry for the confusion.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
While family and income are important, the best advice I can give you is what you think is best. You have to educate yourself on all options sure, but in the end the person who gets hit with the choice the hardest will always be you.

Apart from that most colleges can cut course loads, if the military thing doesn't work you can always go to school part-time while holding a simi-good paying full time job.

Suijen

Apr 15, 2009
D-Soul said:
thanks for the advice guys I'm also helping out my mom trying to find her somewhere to work and I was thinking on taking the military route and join the Air Force since I have a little XP with computers but one of my college mates told me I will have to be able to run 5 miles probably without stop so yeah...but I am going to keep looking and hopefully I'm gonna get out of this hole I'm in. and btw I know it the first post I know I made it sound like my mom is constantly bitching me out to find a job, she's not she only ***** when it's time to go to class each morning it's somebody else that lives with us that is constantly bitching about me getting a job not her, so sorry for the confusion.
5 miles? Who told you that? The physical fitness test is not that intense. You may have to be able to run five miles LATER, but I think it's about a 2 mile run in 16 minutes.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
Aylaine said:
D-Soul said:
Yeah, do keep that in mind. While on paper the military route may seem like the best option, you will nee to toughen up a lot in order to handle the physical aspects of it. Since everyone is different, some people may have an easier time doing that then others. Who is the other person complaining about you getting a job? :eek:
not to dwell on my life that much...my mom's boy friend....

Suijen said:
D-Soul said:
5 miles? Who told you that? The physical fitness test is not that intense. You may have to be able to run five miles LATER, but I think it's about a 2 mile run in 16 minutes.
2 miles in 16 min. that not too bad...