School vs Massive Mohawk.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Seems there's a 17 year old down in Florida that's trying to set a world record for having the tallest spiked mohawk. And why the hell not? It's his hair, he should be able to do what he wants with it, right?

Wrong.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/DeLand-teen-seeking-world-record-Mohawk-sent-home-from-school/-/1637132/16758920/-/c79jdb/-/index.html?source=wkmg

"NO MOHAWK FOR YOU!" says the high school he goes to. He was warned on Monday that he couldn't come to school with his hair spiked up like that. And upon showing up on Tuesday with his spikes defiantly raised, he was sent home from school.

The question is: is this an appropriate reason to send a student home?

Normally in a cases of student rights vs school demands, I'm more inclined to side with the students. Not in this case, however. I understand that it's fun to make yourself unique...give yourself something that makes you stand out from the crowd. Schools do, however, have the right to enforce dress codes, and they have an obligation to ensure that no one student is proving to be a distraction to the other students. And I'd say that a 16 inch mohawk jutting from someone's head is pretty distracting. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing either. The school gave him fair warning not to wear his hair up in spikes. They didn't demand that he get a hair-cut, thus interfering with his attempt at the world record, they just asked that he not wear it in spikes at school. In a blatant act of defiance, he ignored the warning and was punished for it. This defiance negates any justification his world record attempt might have given him, he was doing it really just to spit in the eye of the school, it seems.

But beyond that, his own quote really negates any argument he might have for being able to wear his hair up in spikes. "I'm weird, uncommon, and socially unacceptable, why can't my hair express that too?" Well my friend, by definition "socially unacceptable" means that what you're doing is not acceptable in general society...i.e. in a school. As such, you really shouldn't be at all surprised when your "socially unacceptable" hairstyle isn't acceptable in general society...i.e. in a school.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
He's starting to look like the Statue of Liberty.

Not going to lie, the kid kind of sounds like a dick. "Socially unacceptable"? To me he sounds like the equivalent of those middle school girls who describe themselves as "SOOOO RANDOM!!!!!11!!".

On official matters, the school is in the right. They made their rules, warned him, and did what they said they would. They are allowed to do that, you know.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Appropriate? I'd say it depends on the schools dress code.
If there's a preexisting rule regarding "appropriate" hair styles, then Yes. If not, then no.

As for the kid in general, seems to just be an attention starved douchebag. Hopefully this is just a phase he'll quickly grow out of.

Greater Evil

Apr 18, 2009
He could set the record at home and leave it at that. His hair probably gets in the way of hallway traffic in school and people's view of the chalkboard in class.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
He looks like a clown, but really the school was actually pretty nice about it, they didn't ask him to cut his hair, which I find surprising, and since he refused the offer he kinda deserves it, I mean it's the school's rules, so yeah whatever he deserved it.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah I'm definitely on the School's side in this. It's not like they threw him out of class or tried to cut it, they gave him a warning, "You can't have your hair up like that in school" and he did it anyways.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This is retarded. High schools give way to much of a damn about what students look like. He's hoping the best for the kid.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Before I post a serious reply to this, it needs to be said: Holy shit, that is one impressive mohawk, and a legitimate one at that. I hate it when you just have that short strip of hair and call it a mohawk. It isn't. That though, that is a goddamn mohawk.

On a more serious note, however, I think the school should just let him grow it out. If it turns out it gets in his way going through doorways, or other short entryways, its his problem. Other than the problem if it being too tall for short ceilings and doors, I see no issue with it.

Well, other than it being pink. Seriously, a good toxic green would have looked better with his complexion. And it would have looked more badass.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
The only legitimate reason I could see for not allowing him to spike up his mohawk is if it was blocking other students view of the board or something. But then again, he could always sit in the back.

Ginger768

May 8, 2012
How can it Distract students to a degree that is seriously detrimental to their education. I could imagine them saying "Oh look at that" on the first day. But spending the whole period day after day gawking at it?

Sounds like a butthurt faculty can't handle somebody weird infecting their class room.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I'm usually with students, but this is one of those times where this is something I can easily see getting in the way of learning, especially if someone's easily distracted or has a condition that leaves them prone to wandering thoughts.

It's not fair that you might get in the way of someone's education because you want to look strange. Pack it in kid.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Ginger768 said:
How can it Distract students to a degree that is seriously detrimental to their education. I could imagine them saying "Oh look at that" on the first day. But spending the whole period day after day gawking at it?

Sounds like a butthurt faculty can't handle somebody weird infecting their class room.
Human beings look at things that are out of the ordinary.

That hair walks into my class, I'm pretty sure I'd be stealing a look pretty much every other minute, thinking at least a few dozen questions of how and why.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Oh no! Someone's deviating from the accepted social norm! Somebody stop him before he inspires others to think outside the box!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well whatever your opinion, it has certainly created a sudden spike in interest at the school (I'm sorry)

And I've got to agree with the school here, it's going to be extremely distracting for students, especially if he sits at the front of the class. Plus it's easy enough for him to have it just spiked up at home anyway.

Also, when you yourself are describing it as expressing your social unacceptability, you know it's not exactly going to be taken well.

The size is impressive though, I'll give him that, even if I'm not a fan of the colour.

Ginger768

May 8, 2012
silver wolf009 said:
Ginger768 said:

Human beings look at things that are out of the ordinary.

That hair walks into my class, I'm pretty sure I'd be stealing a look pretty much every other minute, thinking at least a few dozen questions of how and why.
That seems to be fault on your part. Would you really look at him throughout the whole semester? Shouldn't you just get some ADHD meds if that's the problem?

I'm distracted by comically obese,incredibly Ugly, and cross dressing people just as much as I would be by this guy and I imagine many would claim the same. I won't spend the whole school year deviating from the class work to stare at him so long as i want to pass the class.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Another school creating a problem where one does not exist. This madness never ceases to amaze me. Florida schools are consistently among the most under-funded in the nation, and they're worrying about someone's hair. Jesus Christ. Now, as a victim of Florida schools myself, I'm no stranger to the fact that every public school in Florida is run by people whose IQ is exceeded by room temperature, but even so... No wonder this state ranked 49th in education a few years ago.

Ginger768

May 8, 2012
Dense_Electric said:
Another school creating a problem where one does not exist. This madness never ceases to amaze me. Florida schools are consistently among the most under-funded in the nation, and they're worrying about someone's hair. Jesus Christ. Now, as a victim of Florida schools myself, I'm no stranger to the fact that every public school in Florida is run by people whose IQ is exceeded by room temperature, but even so... No wonder this state ranked 49th in education a few years ago.

Scary to think this is very arguably the most important state in Presidential elections.

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
School is fully in the right. The rules are there, they gave him ample warning, and he chose to wear his hair that way anyways. Safety hazard anyways, all that hairspray/gel could go up in flame with one misplaced spark or thrown cigarette.