Schrodinger's cat?

Zeroththeking

Jan 20, 2009
I got another brain puzzler for the escapist community.

You tell your friend that he has the reflexes of Schrodinger's Cat. Is it an insult (dead cat)? Or a compliment (alive cat)?

Heres the wiki article if people dont know what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger%27s_cat

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
No matter what his reflexes, he's not getting out of the box. Insult.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Niether, since the cat being alive or dead is completely depentent on whether or not a poison has been released

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Explain what 'Schrodinger's ' cat is first...

Edit- Based on what other people have said, I give my answer.

The phrase "Reflexes like a cat" is based upon the idea that cats have fast reflexes, thus a compliment. Because this is a SPECIFIC cat, it depends not upon whether he's in a box or not, but on whether or not this cat has (had) good reflexes to begin with.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Memory tells me Schrodinger had something to do with either the atom, quantum physics or both... so I can half see where you're coming from, but an explanation would be great!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Insult. It would mean you weren't sure whether your friend existed or not.

EDIT: It seems I have misunderstood Shrodinger's cat...

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Aby_Z said:
In 1935 Irwin Schrodinger, in an attempt to explain the Coppanhagen interpretation of Quantum physics, proposed an experiment in which a cat is place in a box with a sealed vial of poison that will break open at a random time. Now because nobody knows when or if the poison has been released, until the box is open the cat can be thought of as both alive and dead.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
The cat is a superposition of waveforms - deadcat and livecat.

So he has the reflexes of an uncollapsed waveform. Until the box is opened, part of that waveform has great reflexes.

Just make sure you don't open the box.

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
Schrodinger proposed that a radioactive atoms' state can not be determined, it is therefore both decayed and undecayed. If you put a cat in a box with a toxic gas that is activated by radioactive decay, the cat will be both dead and alive.

And its a total bullshit theory.

And wow, its interesting to read all the different explanations of the theoretical experiment. Some are way off, others are bizarrely mixed up... lolz.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It depends on whether Schrodinger's Cat is sentient or not.

It probably isn't, so I've solved nothing. Have a good day.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
Aby_Z said:
shcro's cat is a theoretical problem involving string theory and multiple universes theory. here's the layman's terms: there is a cat inside an inescapable box. if an atom hits a vial, it will release a deadly poison into the box, killing the cat. since two outcomes are possible, the theory is that two universes will pop up, one where the atom hits the vial and the cat is killed, and one where the cat lives b/c the atom missed completely. the theory is that from one universe, in that single action has split into two separate realites. the theory also says this happens for every choice, an infinite amount of realities exist. for proof in a manga, see Katekyo's Hitman Reborn! Milleford arc.

insult. the cat has no reflexes. it just stays inside the box. luck might have a better outcome. or maybe capriciousness.

RetroViruses

Aug 7, 2008
Macgyvercas said:
Aby_Z said:
In 1935 Irwin Schrodinger, in an attempt to explain the Coppanhagen interpretation of Quantum physics, proposed an experiment in which a cat is place in a box with a sealed vial of poison that will break open at a random time. Now because nobody knows when or if the poison has been released, until the box is open the cat can be thought of as both alive and dead.
Tsk Tsk, you forgot the oddly useless (as far as I can tell) decaying isotope...
Wikipedia has a long, confusing explanation as well.
OT: Well, average the two. Your friend has half the reflexes of a cat.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The3Apocalypses said:
Macgyvercas said:
Aby_Z said:
Tsk Tsk, you forgot the oddly useless (as far as I can tell) decaying isotope...
Wikipedia has a long, confusing explanation as well.
OT: Well, average the two. Your friend has half the reflexes of a cat.
I just stole that explanation from "The Big Bang Theory"

Skeletorfw

May 26, 2009
The statement is both an insult and a compliment at the same time in an indeterminate state. As soon as you open the box to find out whether the statement is one or the other, the dual waveform will collapse and one state will become predominant.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Insult--A cat in an inescapable box can only bump the box around a little bit, cannot jump out of the way, and has no perception of it's surroundings, and that's if the cat is alive.

There is a slight compliment, though--your friend is an uncollapsed waveform, and will collapse when you observe him, thus giving him a definite happenstance. That could be construed as a compliment, I guess, that he's definite...