Sci fi needs it's Game of Thrones!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Zhukov said:
Just so I'm clear, are we talking books or TV here?
One would assume TV (or Netflix for the kids thesedays) for cultural outreach. If simply referring to literature...
Level 7 Dragon said:
Dune, anyone? Fricking Dune mini-series.

That would destroy HBO, in a good way.
Boom. I like what Brian Herbert and his writing partner I-always-forget-the-name-of has done with the prequel novels.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Redlin5 said:
Boom. I like what Brian Herbert and his writing partner I-always-forget-the-name-of
Kevin J. Anderson

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Level 7 Dragon said:
Dune, anyone? Fricking Dune mini-series.

That would destroy HBO, in a good way.
Yeah, although it would be tricky, considering that they can't just slap an appendix in the end credits for what all these funny sounding words mean. As someone who liked Dune but felt it aged a little poorly (only read the first book so far) one thing that did annoy me was that they constantly threw made up words at me that I had to stop so I could look them up. More than once. I suppose they could cut down on them, Game of Thrones did take out a lot of the books more medieval sounding words and terms (Making water, night soil, craven) and replace them with more modern counterparts (Piss, shit, coward) but I get the feeling that would rub more hardcore fans the wrong way.

Also technically there already was a dune miniseries.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Isn't that Westworld, HBO's other big epic?

I haven't seen it yet but everyone I've talked to who has said that it's basically a Sci-Fi GoTs.
Kind of. It's very similar in the sense that nudity, violence, and swearing all get thrown around fairly willy-nilly. Although, it seems like it's less there just to get views (although I'm sure that's part of it) and more there because of the context. I think a lot of people get turned off by the Western part, but I'd say it primarily sci-fi.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Lightspeaker said:
I literally read the first post of this thread, logged in for the express purpose of saying "hey something set in the Dune universe maybe?" and then skimmed the rest of the thread only to find three people already said Dune. X-D
The problem is, Dune (the book series) has dated really, really, really badly.

Especially at the end when Frank Herbert goes a bit dirty old man and it's all sexual-zombie-Jesus versus erotic-space-nuns. That was.. a thing that happened.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't think LotR and GoT are comparable, besides being part of the same genre.

But, if you want Game of Thrones in space, you can't go harder than Dune. The first book has almost nothing but political machinations over political machinations (and pseudo-religions).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
hermes said:
I don't think LotR and GoT are comparable, besides being part of the same genre.

But, if you want Game of Thrones in space, you can't go harder than Dune. The first book has almost nothing but political machinations over political machinations (and pseudo-religions).
Problem is it all takes place in a Desert.

I am talking Game of Thrones in Space where Space Warships and Jet Fighters battle each other like Star Wars. But also contains a heavy Political Thriller theme.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
The Expanse? I think you're looking for The Expanse

Yeah you pretty much gave my answer. I've read about..5 of the books in the series? I could easily see it becoming pretty big. Not sure if it will, given it's on syfy, and not HBO, where they can draw in people with sex and nudity. But I'm enjoying the show so far as an adaptation of the book.

Samtemdo8 said:
hermes said:

Problem is it all takes place in a Desert.

I am talking Game of Thrones in Space where Space Warships and Jet Fighters battle each other like Star Wars. But also contains a heavy Political Thriller theme.
Then you want the Expanse honestly, at least as far as the books go, it hits all of those points you just mentioned.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
tippy2k2 said:

I haven't seen it yet but everyone I've talked to who has said that it's basically a Sci-Fi GoTs.
Is Westworld Sci-fi? I thought it was a western, hence the name. No one I know watched it and it sort of disappeared of adverts, it had loads of adverts for months before it even came out and then nothing. I think its just because westerns, even sci-fi westerns, aren't really popular outside America.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Bobular said:
tippy2k2 said:

Is Westworld Sci-fi? I thought it was a western, hence the name. No one I know watched it and it sort of disappeared of adverts, it had loads of adverts for months before it even came out and then nothing. I think its just because westerns, even sci-fi westerns, aren't really popular outside America.
It's very much sci fi, but with a western skin. I doubt this is spoilers, as it's basically the entire premise of the show, and is explained very quickly in the pilot but...

It's a western theme park, inhabited by VERY realistic androids, who are there to amuse the humans who pay to take a vacation in the park. There are horses, and cowboys, and saloons yes, but that's all a fabrication. It's very much taking place in the future, with some disturbing and terrifying implications based on the premise.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I think Battlestar Galactica is close to what you mention.
Also Westworld is epic sci-fi similar in style to GoT with lots of sex and violence.

I couldn't get into The Expanse and I hope Star Trek Discovery is something like what we want from TV sci-fi.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
pilouuuu said:
I think Battlestar Galactica is close to what you mention.
Also Westworld is epic sci-fi similar in style to GoT with lots of sex and violence.

I couldn't get into The Expanse and I hope Star Trek Discovery is something like what we want from TV sci-fi.
Out of curiosity, what about The Expanse turned you off? Having read the book, while they did change some things, for the most part, they were really true to the source material. So I'm curious what about it didn't intrigue you.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Also, I've been thinking about this.

See, the thing about ASOIAF (the book series) is that it works precisely because it isn't lord of the rings. It turns a whole load of genre conventions on its head. That's why people got into it, I think, because it felt more real and authentically human than the standard "good versus evil and good always wins" style of heroic fantasy.

So if we take this comparison to its logical conclusion, then a sci-fi version of game of thrones would be something which took the conventions of sci-fi as a genre and turned it on its head somehow, which I think is harder because sci-fi has always done dramatic realism. In fact, the way to subvert sci-fi is often to make it more mythological or fantasy-esque, like Star Wars, or to incorporate anti-rational or non-humanist elements, like Childhood's End (although I don't think it's a coincidence that SyFy tried to adapt Childhood's End a few years back).

Weirdly, I think if sci-fi had a game of thrones, it would be something like Interstellar (or rather, the first half of Interstellar)..

Interstellar, despite in my opinion not being a very good movie, is interesting because it strips space travel of a lot of the romance and mythology which science fiction as a genre has injected it with. It presents space travel as it might plasuably be, terrifying, alienating and dehumanizing, something which rather than demonstrating humanity's mastery of the universe actually just reduces them to insignificance against the vastness of the cosmos and the power of the forces of space and time. Travelling space becomes something which warps and distorts human life rather than leaving it intact, something which forces us to think on a cosmic scale and thus reduces both our livespans and the value of our lives down to tiny blinks of the cosmic eye. It can also pose moral challenges, as exhibited by Matt Damon's character on the ice planet, who is both wonderfully despicable and also abjectly pitiable in the face of the nihilistic hopelessness of his position. This is far, far closer to believability I think than the traditional view of all-powerful humans mastering the universe with superscience. Of course, the movie then dulls its own harshness by copping out and suggesting that twoo wub conquers all, but that harsh, bleak message which comes before is about the closest I can see to science fiction giving us the kind of genre subverting kick in the balls which ASOIAF and, to a lesser extent, the Game of Thrones TV series does.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I dunno man, I'm pretty sure Sci-Fi already has a shitty, overly-grim series where death is cheap and everyone acts like a surly, backstabbing bastard because politics, so I don't see why the addition of another would really do any good, unless you were Netflix or an Australian pirate.

And if it's just the world-building you're after... uhhh... Babylon 5, Star Trek (maybe not Voyager, they beat that repeat button a little too often to get any world-building going there), Sliders, fucking Andromeda, Continuum, Dune, Doctor Who (less world building, more 'look at the world we built 50 years ago!' but still counts)... like, shit, there's a lot of 'em. Not as many I can pull off the top of my head from the modern era, but that's mainly because I don't have the time to sit around watching TV/Netflix like I used to back in the 90s.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Just making something to cash in on others success is exactly why so many bad shows get made, GoT is GoT because the writer didn't go and ape everyone else's ideas, he wrote his stories as he saw fit.

We don't need a sci-fi GoT we just need better sci-fi, a story that is worth something, a plot with rhyme and reason the whole way through, science that follows some logic,...
Right now almost everyone tries to borrow from something that came before it and that just leaves a very bad after taste.
Expanse is pretty good though, still far too many "stand around making stupid drama faces", but they do have some story and some proper mechanics.