Sci/fi Writing Intro

GhostKnifeFish

Aug 19, 2009
Hey guys! I've been away from the Escapist for a while now following some creative pursuits. I've written up an idea for an intro to a Sci/fi novel I've been working a bit on, it would be cool if you guys could give me some constructive feedback on what I have so far. Thanks!

The void opened before him. The endless promise in a countless measure spanning in all directions, an impossible realm of complete nothingness and total potential. An expanse of darkness so complete that the ambitions of man could do nought but stumble aimlessly in the abyss. Brief, bright sparks that had burned so brightly yet accomplished nothing.
He had accomplished nothing.
'Doctor Cody, Jacob T. Vital signs critical. Alert medical staff immediately'.
The disembodied voice of the shipboard computer chimed uselessly in the depths of the ship, alerting a none existent crew to the doctor's peril. Cody choked slightly as the mechanism unhelpfully advised him to seek help for his wounds. He grit his blood flecked teeth as he propped himself up against the unforgiving steel of a support strut. Alarms sang dull songs in the distance, an echo of physical hazards that no longer concerned him. The dishevelled bay around him lit periodically with feverish red light with every lifeless note and then dimmed to near darkness. His eyes burned as he strained to remain conscious, the metallic monotone of the dying ship galvanising the air with the shrill sound despair.
Cody gasped as he tightened his grip on the strut, the pain from the glass lodged in his stomach lancing through his ruined body. Infected blood ran between his fingers and fell hastily to the ground, swallowed by the grey metal grating beneath his feet.
He stressed his eyes as he gazed out into the dark again. The arms of the galaxy spun in lazy circles, countless worlds turning aimlessly in the black, with the countless trillions upon them unaware of his bloody gaze. The field surrounding the wound in the hull flickered slightly, the occasional spark as some space-bound debris collided with it. He could do nothing but gaze.
The pain came to him again, his knees giving under his weight. He cried out, the disembodied voice offering its emotionless advice once again. The blood ran black under the crimson light as it flared into existence and died, like the muzzle flash of a weapon in slow motion. The ship whined with lacklustre effort. Slowly, he climbed to his feet. He had accomplished nothing, but perhaps he was wasn't finished yet.
Doctor Cody staggered as he limped slowly towards the console in the centre of the room. His boots grated lifelessly on the cold metal floor, each laboured step accompanied by a grunt of pain and a touch of septic blood. He whined as he felt his viscera encroaching on his clenched fingers. With his free hand he reached for the glinting display, the holographic screen responded to his shaking hand. He ran his fingers across the icy blue icons and numbers, a mechanical tone chiming as he did so.
'Main reactor is offline' the ship's computer responded, 'all non-critical ship functions are shutting down to conserve power'.
'No!' Cody screeched through red teeth.
He couldn't fail again.
Quickly he ran his free hand across the glowing console. He wouldn't be needing life support for long.
'Auxiliary power restored, stasis systems stable'
Cody sighed as the console closed before him. His sight was beginning to blur. The ship groaned like a dying beast as its last reserves of power rerouted to the stasis bay.
Cody turned to face the imposing metal capsule standing beside the console, its interface glowing a nauseous green. Its many brothers lined the wall beside it, crimson lights beaming from their broken insides, illuminating the shards of glass scattered across the bay. He gasped, leaning against the deathly cold chamber, the freezing condensation chilling his torn skin. He released his grip, blood and entrails escaping into the stale air.
'I-I have accomplished nothing' Cody cried out in delirium.
'But I have saved one'.
Cody raised his hand and wiped away the moisture, gazing on the last person he ever saw.