Science Judges Your Personality Using Fallout 3

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Uh...mr. scientist, just so you know I only killed him because he had a really nice shotgun...and money.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Now see if this was a different kind of study, it would say that game behavior effects real life behavior.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
While I'm not too sure about the validity of their findings so far, I'm interested to see where this goes.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
I need to get back to this game sometime.
I'd be a ghool not to.
Haha, I don't think the others get it, that or I'm not getting it, but you intended it as the gh from say toughmaking an f or ph sound to sound as fool, while referencing ghouls from fallout... Am I right? I love clever word play in puns.

OT: While an interesting concept, and a worthwhile thing to pursue testing on, I think it's still too early to call it completely accurate, need more example games, more test subjects, larger test groups.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
Mr.Tea said:
Xan Krieger said:
Question: What happens if I'm in the mood to just murder people?
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The same could be said of any test then: "I'll just answer randomly. Your test sucks. Can't evaluate a dissentious individual such as I, huh? I'm so fucking cool and rebellious! Fuck science!"

The point is that it requires your participation. It's not "Play this game for fun and I'll tell you who you are", it's "Here's a virtual scenario and what would you do?".
The problem you have with using a role-playing game to measure personality is that people will be, er, role-playing. They're not reacting to a situation how they would, they're reacting how their character would. A kind and considerate person role-playing a trigger-happy merc will come across as a bit of a heartless bastard because they're playing the part of one - kinda the whole point of a role-playing game.

I suppose the test could achieve some half-way meaningful results if the players were all expressly told to just be themselves, but that defeats the point of an RPG, surely? In the same way that an actor is acting when they're playing a part but not acting when they're just being themselves, a player is only role-playing when they're, well, playing a role. Giving someone an RPG and telling them expressly not to RP seems a bit daft.
Or a new and more useful way to use RPGs. Just name all their characters Mary Sue :D

No seriously, I think most people can't actually role play. They play the character, but really they're expressing their own choices in situations, not actually thinking about their character's motivations. I think you can tell it's happening when people are saying "I" will go do something in a game, instead of "he" or "she".

Also, I think this is pretty much an interactive version of the Bartle gamer test, which I find to be an excellent way to predict behavior. I'm an ESAK and while these people have not officially taken the test, I'd bet my best friend is an ASKE and my nephew a KASE. When I use that knowledge in my interactions with them, it's much easier to work in my own goals.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
the more games I play the more I'm starting to see a pattern in my characters. apparently I am inherently good at heart, but don't pull my punches when I'm set off. I'm okay with authority as long as we largely ignore one another lol

icythepenguin

Jun 5, 2012
Legion said:
Got to love all the people who gave all the predictable "Well it's wrong because I do X, when in real life I'd do Y", when the study wasn't talking about specific actions such as moral choices. Rather how you play the game.

There are some people who explore every single room in a place and loot every chest. There are some who don't bother exploring and instead only stick to the main tasks. There are some who skip dialogue and others who go out of their way to read it all.

Those are the kind of things they are looking at. Not "Blowing up Megaton makes you a psychopath".
And the study only picked people who had never played Fallout 3. He consciously eliminated those who had in an effort to confirm his theory. Also it didn't say if he chose people who identified themselves as gamers or not. While this study may help to determine behaviour among non-gamers the question remains if it will be as accurate with gamers and which gamers.

A gamer may be more meticulous in his play style than he/she is in real-life. Also if the person has already played the game, they'll skip unnecessary dialogue and cut through the game faster having already learned the story. A gamers' play style may change depending if they've played before or if certain aspects are more appealing. Example: they may normally rush through a game but if the story attracts them they'll take their time and seek out everything in the world.

I think he should choose a game with a single concrete goal and conclusion but an open world like Hitman. No matter what their personality the person still has to kill their target, how they do so would be a better indicator in my opinion. Do they run through the level firing wildly, do they sit and wait for the perfect opportunity, do they seek out disguises and plan ingress and exit strategies, do they avoid large crowds and people even if its their best option for completion?

At least with something like that you won't have people saying "we'll i'm a dick in the game but a saint in real life." There's no option to be good or evil, just different ways and play styles to complete your goal.

EinSoph

May 30, 2011
What people seem to be ignoring is the fact that in Real Life, one is also role-playing. We adopt personas or social masks, depending on the task at hand and who one is with. The interesting thing about this test is that it allows for testing that's more analogous to real life, while retaining the anonymity element that comes from standard testing. And part of the point is that one assumes that it is assumed you aren't trying to fuck with game/test constraints. It's following what you would naturally do as a person, pretending the scenario is real.

Mar 30, 2010
w00tage said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Mr.Tea said:
>snipsnip<
Or a new and more useful way to use RPGs. Just name all their characters Mary Sue :D

No seriously, I think most people can't actually role play. They play the character, but really they're expressing their own choices in situations, not actually thinking about their character's motivations. I think you can tell it's happening when people are saying "I" will go do something in a game, instead of "he" or "she".

Also, I think this is pretty much an interactive version of the Bartle gamer test, which I find to be an excellent way to predict behavior. I'm an ESAK and while these people have not officially taken the test, I'd bet my best friend is an ASKE and my nephew a KASE. When I use that knowledge in my interactions with them, it's much easier to work in my own goals.
Yeah, the Bartle test is quite a good way of getting a read on peoples' priorities. Certainly it helps when forming parties/guilds/clans etc to make sure you're bringing in people who are going to appreciate the way you play any given game. I know a couple of KASEs and whilst they're both good friends they do get kind of tiresome if we're in the same lobby (and they probably think the same of me - ESAK here too, by the way).

I think a lot of roleplayers start out simply transferring their own personality onto a blank avatar at first. Certainly it's an easier concept to grasp for people new to RPGs than the creation and control of entirely new psyches, but after a couple of years playing essentially the same character but in various games I tend to find that people will either a) get bored of RP and go and find something else to do or b) get bored of always being themselves and create new personas for their characters. There are always exceptions, of course, but most of the players I've RPed with over the years have gone one of those two ways.

GamerMage said:
Uh....actually I kind of do. Kind of the point,really. I'm a nice guy,and want to help others,so I usually do the good guy path,jedi,paragon,what have you.
Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. :D

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hey, I have a great idea! Why don't companies have such games upload the personality information garnered from a playthrough to a central server, so they can sell that information to advertisers who can use it to more effectively target their advertising?

And by "a great idea" I of course mean, "Please, for the love of God, don't ever, ever let them do this."

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
As in all things the more effort you put into something, the more you get out of it. Play as yourself instead of a fictional avatar wielding a handy save button: better results. Take the limits of the test into account: better results. Reflect upon what you know about yourself and compare the test to previous experiences...well you get the picture.

Personality tests are only a tool, not the answer. In the end, only you know you the best and even then you can't be 100% sure of anything until you've been in the situation with your real-life future at stake.

That being said, meta-analysis can be useful or at least interesting. Don't look at whether the data fits your spectrum of results but what patterns the raw data shows. Do you explore a lot? Do you talk to people a lot? Do you solve problems with aggression more often than not? The best thing to do is to answer these questions as you play by yourself with as few expectations as possible and draw your own conclusions.

In short: want a fair assessment? Do it yourself.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
So once I played Love Plus on Nintendo DS cause I was curious one day..

I lost the game.

I
lost
the
game.

REALLY??

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Legion said:
Got to love all the people who gave all the predictable "Well it's wrong because I do X, when in real life I'd do Y", when the study wasn't talking about specific actions such as moral choices. Rather how you play the game.

There are some people who explore every single room in a place and loot every chest. There are some who don't bother exploring and instead only stick to the main tasks. There are some who skip dialogue and others who go out of their way to read it all.

Those are the kind of things they are looking at. Not "Blowing up Megaton makes you a psychopath".
Yeah, with all the "video games make you violent" stuff in the news in the recent past, it seems Escapists have gotten more defensive about video games than they have about science.

What I'm curious about is if they're using your decisions as a means to decide your personality, how do they figure out if the correlation is statistically significant? I mean, if you decide that "people who blow up Megaton are less conscientious," then obviously you're going to get 100% of your test subjects who blow up Megaton being classified as conscientious.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
So not only am I sadistic, narcissistic and have a proclivity to murder prostitutes after sleeping with them but I'm also a woman trapped in a man's body?! Yeah, I can roll with that. God bless science (Christ, what a contradictory statement)