Science!: ROBOFISH

Wolfrug

Feb 11, 2009
And why is no-one commenting on "...and a lightsaber that kills cavities.". Yeah, that's right, regrowing teeth is all nice and all, but I'm not sure if a lightsaber is going to be any more pleasant in your mouth than a drill o_O

Coldsnap

Oct 24, 2008
Rakkana said:
I'm so glad we have scientist working on this instead of a cure for cancer.
You're right, "scientists" should do nothing but cure cancer; don't try bullshit like, "I'm a chemist, or nuclear engineer." If you're occupation falls under the loose definition of scientist you get your ass on curing cancer! (sarcasm disengaged)

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
Coldsnap said:
Rakkana said:
You're right, "scientists" should do nothing but cure cancer; don't try bullshit like, "I'm a chemist, or nuclear engineer." If you're occupation falls under the loose definition of scientist you get your ass on curing cancer! (sarcasm disengaged)
My point was more along the lines of scientists researching important things. I thought that was pretty clear.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Rakkana said:
Scientists are trying to make a living, not do charity work. If they only get paid to do things that you consider useless, then they will do that regardless. Because they have to eat.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
Scientists are trying to make a living, not do charity work. If they only get paid to do things that you consider useless, then they will do that regardless. Because they have to eat.
I'm not trying to make a hate comment. Just saying there are plenty of important jobs out there like curing cancer. Several of which pay well.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
I'm not trying to make a hate comment. Just saying there are plenty of important jobs out there like curing cancer. Several of which pay well.
But are they qualified to do something so complicated? Even if it is in their field.
As I said, they're not doing charity work, they're trying to make money. If they stumble across a well-paying job, they will take it.
Also, making robots that look like animals can help study animals and learn more about their behaviors and the ecosystem. I'd hardly call that unimportant.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
But are they qualified to do something so complicated? Even if it is in their field.
As I said, they're not doing charity work, they're trying to make money. If they stumble across a well-paying job, they will take it.
Also, making robots that look like animals can help study animals and learn more about their behaviors and the ecosystem. I'd hardly call that unimportant.
The first part of your argument I've already made clear by saying there are PLENTY of well paying jobs. At least on of them is bound to be important.

The qualification statement could be true in a few select cases. But it's very unlikely such a situation would arise. As I said there are many of important jobs.

About the robot part. True it could be considered important, but in compassion to other things in the world it is very insignificant. Human health. Space travel. All of these things insure humanity's survival which should come before animals.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
The first part of your argument I've already made clear by saying there are PLENTY of well paying jobs. At least on of them is bound to be important.

The qualification statement could be true in a few select cases. But it's very unlikely such a situation would arise. As I said there are many of important jobs.

About the robot part. True it could be considered important, but in compassion to other things in the world it is very insignificant. Human health. Space travel. All of these things insure humanity's survival which should come before animals.
And I've made it clear that they will take whatever job they can get. There's no reason to continue job hunting when you've got a good one right in front of you. And the ecosystem is important to human survival.

Not every scientist needs to be working on the greatest problems. Why is it so bad to try and solve little problems, too?

Arcanz

Jun 25, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Haha, Fuck you Oral Hygiene! Science has bailed me out again!
Hah, this one made my day :) This is the reason science was invented!

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:
ultrachicken said:
Rakkana said:

And I've made it clear that they will take whatever job they can get. There's no reason to continue job hunting when you've got a good one right in front of you. And the ecosystem is important to human survival.

Not every scientist needs to be working on the greatest problems. Why is it so bad to try and solve little problems, too?
Because you need to get the big ones done first.

And this isn't really improving the ecosystem. They have only proven it for one species and everyone had a good idea it was true anyway.

I can see were going to continue to disagree on the job bit so I'm leaving that out.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
If you got every scientist working on a cure for cancer, as soon as they do then they will all be out of a job. Then there will be a rush of oncologists trying to find jobs in biomechanical fish sciences.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
A robot Leviathan that regrows its teeth. Oh yeah.

About robot fish, many people would follow a well disguised bold human robot. I think we already do.

On a side note, I wonder if happy women gives birth to healthier babies.