Science!: Sharks and Nanoparticles

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Science!: Sharks and Nanoparticles

Inside: What do you do with all of the oiled birds from the Gulf of Mexico disaster? Clean or kill?

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That whole oil disaster us going to be leaving a few heads rolling...it's a shame nanos can't just eat up the oil ><

Taco of flames

May 30, 2009
I read the title of this about a second after the title of Funk's article, and I thought this said "Sharks and Nanopirates." Needless to say, I was like "Frikken sweet!" Although no nanopirates were involved, interesting stuff.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I say kill the birds. They're pretty much dead anyway. Hell, just set fire to the oil.

Diet Chaos

Aug 21, 2009
CoverYourHead said:
We have to get that plastic antibody technology to the Quarians! Quickly!
Ha!

In any case, I'd have to say, very intriguing article; the proposal of artificial antibodies carries some risk, but also a lot of promise. Truly a marvel in modern medicine, eh?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Working artificial antibodies?

FUTURE MEDICINE! :D

Awesome.
I too love future medicine!

EDIT: I don't remember where I saw the article, but I think scientists also created a way to give injections without needles. A sort of air injection system that pushes the liquid far less painfully into your skin and bloodstream.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Alar said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:

Awesome.

EDIT: I don't remember where I saw the article, but I think scientists also created a way to give injections without needles. A sort of air injection system that pushes the liquid far less painfully into your skin and bloodstream.
It's here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101103-Star-Trek-Hypospray-Now-Real

...and for me, it's the best thing ever since I'm scared of needles. :D

Mister Mollusc

Jun 12, 2010
Page four makes me glad I'm doing a degree in nanotechnology. I loooove me some gold nanoparticles.

SCIENCE!

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Hey, what happened to the funny page titles?

The plastic antibodies thingy is very interesting because the entire reason AIDS is such a devastating disease is that it attacks the imunological system, so making artificial antibodies that it can't infect might actually work as a kind of cure for it. It will make life much better until we end up as a ball of gray goo.

McBurks

May 8, 2009
Something about "plastic shots" doesn't sound right. Makes me think they're injecting hot glue into my wrist.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Hurr Durr Derp said:
Alar said:
Hurr Durr Derp said:

Awesome.

It's here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101103-Star-Trek-Hypospray-Now-Real

...and for me, it's the best thing ever since I'm scared of needles. :D
You better hope to some deity you never get a bloobclot.

Not for the squeamish
one of sheaths is the size of the vien in your arm, the key phrase here is "one of the"

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Mister Mollusc said:
Page four makes me glad I'm doing a degree in nanotechnology. I loooove me some gold nanoparticles.

SCIENCE!
Nanotechonology in Physics, Chemistry or just 'Nanotech' in its whole?

OT: Well, if you're going through the trouble of gathering the birds to euthanise them, you might as well clean them. It's not that much of a hassle, and any percent of survival is better than no, right?

(Yay science.)

Mister Mollusc

Jun 12, 2010
SamuelT said:
Mister Mollusc said:

SCIENCE!
Nanotechonology in Physics, Chemistry or just 'Nanotech' in its whole?

OT: Well, if you're going through the trouble of gathering the birds to euthanise them, you might as well clean them. It's not that much of a hassle, and any percent of survival is better than no, right?

(Yay science.)
Leeds University was nice enough to give me the choice of Physical Nanotech or Chemical Nanotech, I went for Chemical, but there's a big slice of overlap anyway. As the head of department keeps saying, it's a very "multidisciplinary" science. Just finished a module on Quantum Chemistry. Boy that was fun. Not sure what the difference is between the Physical and Chemical (besides the Chemical having fewer modules, woot) though I know the Physical course has some engineering and computing thrown in that we don't have to do, whereas we have Biology modules.

Edit: Almost forgot... SCIENCE!! BWAHAHAHA!!

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Mister Mollusc said:
Informative tellings, followed by Science.
Thanks. I'm shooting for Quantum Chemics at my local university in a few years, and wanted to know what the difference was between the two terms.

Soon, I'll be able to use the powers of SCIENCE TO MAKE THE WORLD BOW TO MY WILL. *EVIL LAUGHTER*

Mojocat

Sep 9, 2009
The problem is that the BP oil fiasco is being treated by both BP and the U.S government as a public relations problem to spin as positively as possible. There is no easy solution to the ecological devastation which has been caused by a criminally negligent corporation. Cleaning dying birds and dolphins, wiping oil off of slicked marsh grass, using toxic dispersants to mask the extent of the oil being released and the miles of Gulf waters that have been destroyed for decades ,are all part of a coverup conspiracy between BP and both local and Federal agencies. The extent of the callous coverup, leads to forbidding cleanup worker's respirators which has led to 20% of the workers becoming severely ill( according to a report on Keith Olberman of MSNBC). Pods of dolphins and countless whales,sharks and other marine creatures are dying lingering deaths while the national media is observing a no fly zone, and being chased off by BP security thugs on shore. President Obama has been impotent and deceitful in this petro-Katrina crisis, he has acted like BP is a responsible partner instead of seizing their corporate records ,arresting the guilty, and indicting the merchants of death. The oil companies have long owned the politicians of the Gulf Coast to the extent of ignoring the health of millions by murderously polluting the region with cancer causing fumes spewed into the air and waterways by their refineries and pipelines for decades, the toxications of fresh water resources and the poisoning of the earth itself. Now,it is as if miles deep, Mother Earth after being stabbed and raped by ManEvil repeatedly , and her life's blood is spurting forth in an defensive counter-attack to beat back the human onslaught.So far ,all of man's efforts to halt and close up the Pandora's Box that he wrenched open in greed and arrogance have been pathetic failures. It is the absolute stupidity of man's efforts and the pathetic inadequacy of the response that the oil executives and their whores in government and the media seek to hide. So, let us just remember that its probably much worse than we are being told, that the truth may never be known, and that the results will be obscured and lied about for generations to come despite the obvious evidence that will degrade everyone's existence . If we listen closely ,though, we can hear Morrison's " scream of the butterfly."