Science!: Tongue Breathing and Synthetic Cells

grimsprice

Jun 28, 2009
soapyshooter said:
I read about Costner coming to the rescue last week. I hope his device works and it isn't just some publicity stunt. If it does, major kudos to him
DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT? THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!

An actor actually doing something to benefit the world isn't going to happen. It can't happen! It would break the universe worse than dividing by zero!!!

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
Not thrilled at this causing controversy, given that this is the field I'm currently studying and hope to get a job in.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
Hope Kevin's machine will work. Theoretically speaking should work as it uses centrifugation principles to split the mixture of water and oil. But probbaly won't work fast enough but could work if they had more machines. And actually I am surprised nobody else came up with this idea to control oil spillage as similar but much smaller devices are used in thousands of labs around the world. Even if it doesn't work Kudos for Kostner to at least trying it.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hmm... didn't know Costner was in the business of building centrifugal separators.

That technology actually works pretty well for separating substances with different densities. Hopefully they'll work well enough to reduce some of the damage this fiasco is doing to the environment.

And synthetic life is probably the best approach to genetic engineering. You try to tweak an existing bacteria's genome and who knows what other traits are going to be affected. You create a bacteria with an artificial genome, you know what's in it, how it's going to work, and how to kill it if it gets out of hand.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
So, does that technology mean we can revive extinct species by inserting their DNA into cells and replicating them? Not sure if you could form a zygote like that though...

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
I'm calling this now: if we actually create genuine artificial life, it better not become sentient and demand rights and freedoms. Racism is choppy enough already; we don't need things that are, in fact, different from us to be hateful toward.

But glad to hear that celebs are chipping in for the environment. Bummer about the otters :/

the idiot computer

Jan 21, 2010
Personally i don't see anything wrong with synthetic life, even if it does become sentient and can't breathe our air and demand we change the atmosphere for them,nothing could possibly go wrong!
/sarcasm

joking aside... dibs on the algae.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
the idiot computer said:
Personally i don't see anything wrong with synthetic life, even if it does become sentient and can't breathe our air and demand we change the atmosphere for them,nothing could possibly go wrong!
/sarcasm

joking aside... dibs on the algae.
Sentience is tricky. Never mind developing it in a lab, some humans only have a rudimentary grasp on their own!

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
That tongue shot is adorable... makes me miss the ones I had back when I was a kiddo ;_;

Just one question about Costner suckage, wouldn't the sucking bring some small crustaceans and whatnots for a fun water spin?
If it does I can see see Crush spinning around going totally "Wow duuuuuude!".

toy soldier

Mar 19, 2010
The pie'd part this is that for every moment they ***** and moan about the oil spill my home state is that much closer to having their ecosystem messed up in a big way.