Science!: VR and Sistine Chapel

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Drexlor said:
The dawn full vitual reality gaming has begun!
Nah, not even close. I've played around with such things before, amusement parks and the like have them. The same claim was made when I went to Niagra Falls for the "Fury Of The Falls" or something like that on their little strip down there (Canadian side) and it wasn't all that impressive if it's what it sounds like.

Truthfully for anything to achieve true VR, even crudely it's going to need to involve some kind of neutral interface, or at least a sensory deprivation suit/unit as part of the set up.

I also happen to wonder if such things could ever hit the consumer market because to put things into simple terms, there is no way to make sensory deprivation/stimulus or neutral interface safe for a consumer market. I mean think of it this way, when happens when your "Microsoft X-plug" red rings while it's stuck in your brain? (so to speak).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
theultimateend said:
008Zulu said:
Can't see the VR sphere being too popular, alot of gamers I know of sweat when they walk...
Wow you have fit gamer friends.

Mine don't need to talk to sweat.
The worst part is he smells like pickled pork when he does sweat.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
If I recall correctly, there's also a painting of the Rapture on one of the walls. And the gate to hell is behind the Pope's chair.

paragon1 said:
Blueruler182 said:
First page: Awesome!

Second page: Isn't the red sea splitting a biblical thing?

Third page: Though I love michaelangelo... Not interesting.

Fourth page: I like that I keep being proof against science despite the fact that the science is trying to help me. Makes me feel like one of those spoiled kids. I could be healthier as a fatass... but I'm not, I want to be skinny and muscular, fuck you science, you're lying to me!!!

paragon1 said:
Who want's to go to Vegas?

Also: I think those professors have too much time on their hands. So what if a guy whose been dead for hundreds of years liked to draw brains in his paintings? Don't they have some more useful activity they could be doing?
Could people who study history be doing something more cool than finding a hidden historical piece? I highly doubt it.
Okay, maybe I could have phrased that better. Maybe I should have said, "Why does this matter?" or "How does this affect what we already know about Michelangelo? And how does it affect our perceptions of the present?"
Michelangelo was around at a time when the church was the ruling faction. Digging up corpses and cutting them up to see what they looked like was a strict no-no. And they let that guy into their most important room. He defined the place where every pope has been chosen. A place where you aren't allowed to take pictures because a private corporation has exclusive rights to the images (yes, really).

It matters because it's a famous painting. It doesn't change anything about Mikey, because we already knew he liked mocking the pope of the time (and pizza. And nunchuks). And it may affect your opinion of the church, if you focus on the fact that they let other people dominate them in their most sacred place. Of course, their influence has waned over the years.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
MajoraPersona said:
If I recall correctly, there's also a painting of the Rapture on one of the walls. And the gate to hell is behind the Pope's chair.

paragon1 said:
Blueruler182 said:
First page: Awesome!

Second page: Isn't the red sea splitting a biblical thing?

Third page: Though I love michaelangelo... Not interesting.

Fourth page: I like that I keep being proof against science despite the fact that the science is trying to help me. Makes me feel like one of those spoiled kids. I could be healthier as a fatass... but I'm not, I want to be skinny and muscular, fuck you science, you're lying to me!!!

paragon1 said:
Who want's to go to Vegas?

Also: I think those professors have too much time on their hands. So what if a guy whose been dead for hundreds of years liked to draw brains in his paintings? Don't they have some more useful activity they could be doing?
Could people who study history be doing something more cool than finding a hidden historical piece? I highly doubt it.
Okay, maybe I could have phrased that better. Maybe I should have said, "Why does this matter?" or "How does this affect what we already know about Michelangelo? And how does it affect our perceptions of the present?"
Michelangelo was around at a time when the church was the ruling faction. Digging up corpses and cutting them up to see what they looked like was a strict no-no. And they let that guy into their most important room. He defined the place where every pope has been chosen. A place where you aren't allowed to take pictures because a private corporation has exclusive rights to the images (yes, really).

It matters because it's a famous painting. It doesn't change anything about Mikey, because we already knew he liked mocking the pope of the time (and pizza. And nunchuks). And it may affect your opinion of the church, if you focus on the fact that they let other people dominate them in their most sacred place. Of course, their influence has waned over the years.
Ah, well that makes sense. Thanks for explaining that.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Man, geologists are crazy about a sea that will sprout up ten million years from now. Gamers that have fits when they can't play Generic Game 17 on launch day, have a lot to learn from them.

The most interesting intepretation I've heard of the brain in God's floating cloud is that it means that God is only in our brains. To quote cracked, that's a pretty ballsy thing to say when the Pope is letting you paint his house.

Also, fat is the new thin.

PoliceBox63 said:
Mstrswrd said:
Michelangelo also supposadly hid an entire diagram of the nervous system on one of the people on the Sistine Chapel's ceiling, and he also has, in another part of it, an angel essentially flipping of the Pope because Michelangelo thought of himself as a sculpter, not a painter, and wasn't happy being forced to paint.

Leonardo da Vinci also did stuff like that (hide stuff in his paintings, like musical notes in his painting of the "Last Supper.")
Link us...
'kay [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY7TZc079go&feature=related]. But it's pretty much a conspiracy theory.