Scientist Discovers First-Ever Venomous Frog the Hard Way

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Scientist Discovers First-Ever Venomous Frog the Hard Way

It has been discovered that a Brazilian species is the world's first venomous frog. The man who made this discovery probably wishes he didn't.

Greening's Frog used Poison Jab!

It's super effective!

Wild frog researcher fainted!

At least, that's how I like to imagine the discovery of the world's first venomous frog went down.

Carlos Jared, a researcher from Brazil's Instituto Butantan in São Paulo, was collecting frogs in a forest reserve when one of them head-butted him, stabbing its venom-coated spine into his hand. It caused "intense pain radiating up the arm," said Jared, "lasting about five hours."

This tipped Jared and his co-researchers off that there was something strange about Greening's Frog [http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822(15)00788-5], or Corythomantis greeningi, a species which has been known to science for some time. It turns out that Greening's and a related species, Bruno's Casque-Headed, are the only frogs discovered so far that inject venom into predators to ward them off.

What do you think? Does this beat out other newly discovered, real-life Pokemon? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141392-Spikes-Armor-Projectile-Spit-Meet-a-Beautiful-and-Terrifying-Ancient-Worm-From-the-Cambrian-Era-We-Call-Collins-Monster]

Many tropical frogs are known to coat their bodies with a poisonous substance and bright colors, signalling to potential predators, "buddy, don't even try to eat me."

This is distinct from how a venomous frog delivers its toxin, though. Fun fact of the day: the difference between poisonous and venomous animals is that venom is injected by an animal into its prey or predator (as in the bullet ant covered recently) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141743-Milking-Bullet-Ant-Venom-to-Produce-the-Strongest-Pain-Known-to-Man-Feels-Like-Getting-Shot], whereas a poisonous animal secretes (or borrows) poison to prevent predation. Poison, like a good joke, is all in the delivery.

Source: Cell.com [http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/venom-frogs-1.3182922]

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Pardon me, but I would count the Poison Dart Frog as number the first. It's a mild dose from one or two, but it is definitely poison if you come in contact with too many.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
FalloutJack said:
Pardon me, but I would count the Poison Dart Frog as number the first. It's a mild dose from one or two, but it is definitely poison if you come in contact with too many.
As the bottom of the article covers, there's a difference between being Poisonous and Venomous.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
FalloutJack said:
There's a difference between poisonous and venomous. Poisonous requires you to bite something. Venomous requires it to bite you.

There are plenty of poisonous frogs and many have been used as weapons such as the poison dart frog. This is the only known case of a venomous frog.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Supahewok said:
FalloutJack said:
As the bottom of the article covers, there's a difference between being Poisonous and Venomous.
HaileStorm said:
FalloutJack said:
There's a difference between poisonous and venomous. Poisonous requires you to bite something. Venomous requires it to bite you.

There are plenty of poisonous frogs and many have been used as weapons such as the poison dart frog. This is the only known case of a venomous frog.
Venom is poison, though. Seems to be splitting hairs. At the end of the day, the effect is that you are poisoned. I don't know why this distinction exists.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
teh_Canape said:
watch all 3 of us get trolled like a champ by falloutjack
Sorry, but I'm not in that line of work. I think I'll just report this.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012

This thread went in a weird direction really fast. Could we get back on topic, about this RL pokemon? Come on, this frog will obviously show up in some RPG in the future, likely a turn-based JRPG. Besides, if it's one thing I've learned, people have an amazing habit of hanging themselves in these forums, with no help from the report tool even if they may think otherwise. If moderation needs done, it will be.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Venom is poison, though. Seems to be splitting hairs. At the end of the day, the effect is that you are poisoned. I don't know why this distinction exists.
Lots of venomous animals are edible, though. Venomous snakes, for example, you just avoid the head. A poisonous snake (there's a poisonous sea snake, IIRC), you can't eat.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:
Lots of venomous animals are edible, though. Venomous snakes, for example, you just avoid the head. A poisonous snake (there's a poisonous sea snake, IIRC), you can't eat.
I'll have you know that I am a respectable westerner! There is no way that I am eating a snake, I much prefer red meat but chicken will do in a pinch. Once we start eating snakes we are savages. SAVAGES!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
FalloutJack said:
teh_Canape said:
watch all 3 of us get trolled like a champ by falloutjack
Sorry, but I'm not in that line of work. I think I'll just report this.
There are some extremely toxic venoms that you can ingest without harm assuming you have no open wounds in your mouth or digestive tract. Despite the name noninterchangeably referring to the method of introduction into the body many venoms need to be introduced directly into the blood stream otherwise your digestive juices can break them down, I and teh_Canape apparently thought this was common knowledge though this video seems to imply otherwise.

http://ufwildlife.ifas.ufl.edu/venomous_snake_faqs.shtml

srpilha

Dec 24, 2008
Fascinating beast. Allow me however to correct two spellings:
Butantan Institute and São Paulo. You can drop the tilde (~) if you have to, but keep the u in "Paulo" instead of writing it in Italian.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
thaluikhain said:
FalloutJack said:
You know, I understand Fugu to be a delicasy, buuut I'll pass.

Saulkar said:
Now, see, this actually gives me an answer. It actually states that methodology is the only appreciable difference between the two. It ALSO states that the terms are under the heirarchy of toxins. So, all nit-pickery aside, the science declares that it's the world's second toxin-producing frog, and I wouldn't eat either one of 'em on a bet, even if you boiled 'em for twelve hours and simmered 'em in a lovely marinara sauce.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
srpilha said:
Allow me however to correct two spellings:
Butantan Institute and São Paulo. You can drop the tilde (~) if you have to, but keep the u in "Paulo" instead of writing it in Italian.
Thanks! I honestly appreciate the help. The article's been updated (I even added the tilde).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Now, see, this actually gives me an answer. It actually states that methodology is the only appreciable difference between the two. It ALSO states that the terms are under the heirarchy of toxins. So, all nit-pickery aside, the science declares that it's the world's second toxin-producing frog, and I wouldn't eat either one of 'em on a bet, even if you boiled 'em for twelve hours and simmered 'em in a lovely marinara sauce.
If you by second mean one of many, then yes, it is the second discovered toxin producing frog.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Yopaz said:
FalloutJack said:
If you by second mean one of many, then yes, it is the second discovered toxin producing frog.
My study of frog species and whatever toxins may lie therein has apprerntly been neglected. I wouldn't say that that makes the article better, then... Just another entry in the codex. Is that why people want the pokemon parallel?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
HaileStorm said:
FalloutJack said:

Um excuse me it's only Magma when it's in space, it's lava when it's in earths atmosphere.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Yopaz said:
FalloutJack said:
My study of frog species and whatever toxins may lie therein has apprerntly been neglected. I wouldn't say that that makes the article better, then... Just another entry in the codex. Is that why people want the pokemon parallel?
Well, considering the article mentioned the difference between poisonous and venomous and the fact that numerous tropical frogs are poisonous I don't think you can blame the article for much here. Maybe you should have read the entire thing before incorrectly saying that the poison dart frog is venomous, that venomous and poisonous means the same and that this is the second toxin producing frog (which is wrong in at least two ways).

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Eric the Orange said:
HaileStorm said:
FalloutJack said:

Um excuse me it's only Magma when it's in space, it's lava when it's in earths atmosphere.
Umm...

I think you made a mistake in what you were trying to say there buddy.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
MiskWisk said:
Eric the Orange said:
Umm...

I think you made a mistake in what you were trying to say there buddy.
Nah I find it funny to mix up pedantic words. In this case being Poisonous/Venomous, Meteors/Asteroids, and Lava/Magma.