Scientist Says Building Gundam Models Makes You Smarter

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
Well, there's no doubt if you build models, you have a deeper understanding of various other things that most people wouldn't. Also teach some various important concepts like Patience, focus, etc etc. The bridging just needs to be worked on. Bridging those concepts, and skills, and heck this'd even work for the Brain Training game too, is the key. If you can bridge the skills from them to real problems, and stuff, it'll probably be better in the long run. Atleast that's what I think.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Again, is this really even news? Almost any activity that requires you to build something, using your spacial awareness and logic is blatantly going to lead to the creation of new neuron pathways and increase brain activity - this is old info.

The same can be said of Lego, Mechano, even a bloody Rubik's Cube: using your brain to solve puzzles means more neuron pathways which means more intelligence/greater ability at the specific activity.

Next they'll be telling us that the consumption of food is beneficial for the development of fecal matter.

Jun 11, 2008
Well people years ago in England and other places used to play with Mickado(not sure on spelling) toys a lot which they had to build. They used to put mistakes and omit pieces so people would have to use their initiative and sense to put together the model. Look what happens loads of brilliant engineers used to play with these toys with these purpose built defects.

Apr 28, 2008
I always loved building those things when I was a kid. Hell I didn't even care what series the suits were fun, just building them is fun :D

Especially when you finally finish that one damn kit thats been driving me crazy for weeks.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Uh... like mosst things that claim it makes you smarter, more likely, it makes you better at building models.

Sure, it might make the brain work harder, but lots of things do that.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Lisolet said:
snowman6251 said:
Do you have to hand paint those Gundam models because that would absolutely seal the deal as a NEVER for me.

If not it might be fun and I like Gundam.
You do get to paint them, but you can use air brushes and stuff like that to make it more fun. I've got a girly pink and white unicorn gundam on back order. Whoo!
You say GET to paint them. I say HAVE to paint them. I don't like painting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow. Makes me wish I had taken the time to build more! I can certainly see the logic behind the arguements thats for sure!

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I'm not sure that it makes you smarter as it's just a symptom of smarter people. You don't exactly see the football team storming japan to hijack a shipment.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Of course it does, you learn how to make miniature robots and why plastic is a crap material when facing fire.

Konaerix said:
Screw the models. Lets make the real thing!
I support this.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
If that really is the case I must be the next Einstein, just as soon as I complete that damn Perfect Grade Wing Zero!

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Really, the same could be said for any activity which is suitably difficult as to require mental effort on your part to resolve. I imagine building models is particularly useful for the part of your brain that involves building things with your hands.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Hm, maybe I should shell out the bickies for those Kotobukiya super detailed Zoids kits after all... It's not like I don't drool over them already!

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
I'm a gunpla enthusiast, it's good fun, and it makes you feel like an engineer...

And when you mod it with styrene sheets, MSGs, custom paintjobs, youre an artist!

BustaNinja

May 20, 2008
I think there is validity to this. I spent the greater part of my elementary school days walking to Scale Model Supplies, then the local Japan-o-shop, just for the sole purpose of buying Gundam models. I would then go home, assemble, and detail them. This was pretty much a daily activity for me. It got to the point where my two purpose built shelfs couldn't hold all the models, and I had to put some in storage, and throw some out. I built them all, including the 1/100 AND 5/100 (I think) scale Burning Gundams, both Deathscythe models, and about another 30+ from Gundam Seed (Justice and Guardian(this right?) being my favorite of that series). It surely didn't help with my financial situation, as I probably put well over $200 of my own money down for models.

But, I have gained a great deal of fine motor control. Now, I have moved on to bigger, more expensive hobbies, such as system building. I recently put my rig in a new case, something that takes most people about 2-3 hours, in about 30 minutes to an hour. I also can concentrate really well, and have much more patience for building things. If they indeed prove this correct, then I could certainly be a poster child for why Gundam models make you smart.

Lisolet

Mar 27, 2010
snowman6251 said:
You say GET to paint them. I say HAVE to paint them. I don't like painting.
I was trying to use cheesy psychology on you - convincing you that you got to do something fun as opposed to having to do something you didn't like to do. Guess I won't quit my day job :) The parts come colored, mostly in their end colors, so you don't technically have to paint them, but the finished gundam is much more defined and striking when painted. There are often annoyingly small decals too.

I found out I'm not going to get my girly pink gundam after all. It's a limited edition, no such thing as back orders...

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
snowman6251 said:
Do you have to hand paint those Gundam models because that would absolutely seal the deal as a NEVER for me.

If not it might be fun and I like Gundam.
You can paint them, but it isn't necessary unless you want to add some fine detail to the model (or hide some really bad detachment scars/file marks). The individual parts come pre-colored.

John Funk said:
...and a hell of a lot of patience when you can't complete that one goddamn kit because the screw you need is stripped and stuck halfway in and you can't do a goddamn thing with ... er, sorry, I got a bit sidetracked.
I really hope that wasn't a Perfect Grade that happened to. That would just suck.

My personal nemesis is the part that connects the halves of the wings on the MG Strike Freedom. It was the Full Burst Mode version, too. That was $110 CDN down the drain.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
They are preety tough to build, i just wish my brother dident destory all of mine :(, i had burning, shining, dragon, wing zero, and justice, and he destoryed them all!