Scientists Breed Numerically Literate Fruit Flies

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Now they can count how many humans they annoy! How long before they create a fruit fly version of The Count? Oh, the horror...

But humans teaching insects? That's...that's...

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Flies can count? Oh...I guess that's pretty impressive.

*sips tea and continues to play chess with my cat*

Indeed.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
monkeymo4d said:
Sort of makes the concept of genetic memory more Plausible.
Mmm, not really. This is pretty early and the science far from solid. I wouldn't give this much thought until it comes along a great deal more.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
This read 'Scientists Breed Numerically Literate Fruit' in the sidebar and I was SO excited, but no.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Buretsu said:
Clearing the Eye said:
monkeymo4d said:
Mmm, not really. This is pretty early and the science far from solid. I wouldn't give this much thought until it comes along a great deal more.
It's not so much genetic memory, as it is increasing their ability to learn. They weren't born knowing how to count, but they were able to learn when the previous generations could not.
That could be the case. I'm more inclined to believe that. But this is just way too early and we know much too little to do anything beyond guess.

Sushewakka said:
aksel said:
Science. Is there anything it can't do?
It cannot stop going forward.
Religion begs to differ! :p

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Buretsu said:
Clearing the Eye said:
monkeymo4d said:
It's not so much genetic memory, as it is increasing their ability to learn. They weren't born knowing how to count, but they were able to learn when the previous generations could not.
Yea I know most of the traits we see in modern animals are the result of natural selection and in this case they selected the fruit flies which showed the highest affinity learning this new trait and bred them together (selective breeding).
But still it would be cool though if somewhere in your genetic code lied the experience of all your ancestors including fucking dinosaurs and we found a way to unlock them.(well if the evolution theory is true then its more like dinosaur rodents)

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
rancher of monsters said:
First they learn to count, then they learn to make shivs. Next thing you know, we're all working in the fruit mines.

No, I don't know how a fruit mine would work, I'm not one of our fruity overlords.
"Fruity overlords" sounds like we're all going to end up working for George Takei. Which I would love.

Umm, Ima summarise this as another one of sciences excersices into: "What is the point?"

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
I love reading about stuff like this.
I hope they find something great in regards to understanding dyscalculia.

DAAANtheMAAAN

Sep 5, 2011
My question is, why? What does teaching a fly to count do? Is this just one of those moments of scientific "because I wanna"?

Well, regardless,
-- ALL HAIL KING FLY --