Scientists Create Cyborg Cockroaches Using Nanotechnology

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Scientists Create Cyborg Cockroaches Using Nanotechnology

A group of Israeli researchers have successfully inserted nanobots into cockroach DNA.

Even though we're still a long way from the kind of nanites that Wesley Crusher used on the USS Enterprise, nanotechnology is progressing quickly. This week, scientists at the Institute of Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials in Israel successfully inserted a microscopic robot into a cockroach's DNA, creating a tiny cyborg that's capable of surviving a nuclear blast.

A team of researchers led by Ido Bachelet used a technique called "DNA origami" to manipulate long strings of double-helix, folding it into a box and creating the nanobot. The biological device was then injected into a cockroach.

The robots were designed to respond to chemical cues within the cockroach's body, acting like microscopic pieces of biological software. This is the first time that DNA has been successfully crafted to respond in this way.

The robots don't do much right now, but the fact that this kind of technology even exists is incredible. Creating a piece of machinery from genetic code sounds like the stuff of science fiction.

I'm starting to feel bad for cockroaches, though. Last year, researchers from North Carolina State University implanted a small circuit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125392-Researchers-Use-Kinect-to-Remotely-Control-Cockroaches] into a cockroach's abdomen, which allowed the insects to be controlled using a Kinect.

Source: Live Science [http://www.livescience.com/44704-nanobots-injected-into-cockroaches.html]

Oct 20, 2010
[/quote]I'm starting to feel bad for cockroaches, though. Last year, researchers from North Carolina State University implanted a small circuit into a cockroach's abdomen, which allowed the insects to be controlled using a Kinect.[/quote]

Researchers were saddened to discover that no matter how many random things they and their sons said to the cockroaches, they did nothing.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
It makes sense. Once Skynet becomes self aware what better way to keep the remaining post nuclear survivors in line then with bad ass terminator roaches?

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
*starts looking for weapons to defend against the future flesh eating giant cyborg roaches*

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
INB4 nanomachines, son.

These things terrify me. Like, I wouldn't be able to physically do anything about it if something goes wrong.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I think something like this happened in the first episode of Transformers Animated. It... didn't end well. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to prepare for the inevitable...

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
OK. I study nanoscience and I earned my phd building nanostructures and materials.

The image that is being circulated in the media and here is a bad drawing of "nanocars" which are silly little synthetic molecules designed only to get on the cover of journals. The blobs where the wheels are supposed to be skitter around on surfaces and much to do was made about whether they were rotating or not. Not shown are the molecular hair which cover them, a necessity to get nanocars into solution.

The image is not representative of the work reported in the article at all.

In general, nature nano publishes a lot of pretty, irreproducible crap.
If it was in Nature, Science, or even ACS Nano, I'd be a lot more inclined to take interest. Worse, the actual paper describes a DNA oragami construct. Sure, DNA is a structural material, but its a crap one. The only reason it hit the media is because they called the action of binding in response to signaling molecules a robotic computation.

In short, fear not skynet.

I have much more horrifying things brewing on my benchtop, for injection into mammalian nervous tissue, and then manipulating the neural network via direct computer control.

Edit: they should have at least shown the smiley faces. At least these are DNA origami.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
thiosk said:
Edit: they should have at least shown the smiley faces. At least these are DNA origami.

Those are adorable <3 Doesn't the triphosphate backbone of the DNA provide what is a relatively solid structure? I really can't imagine that any kind of more solid compounds, such as metals, could be made into shapes small enough, especially if these "machines" are supposed to be used inside the nucleus and nucleoslus, so they'd have to fit through the nuclear pores.

I'd personally love to see this technology expand, I think it has great potential for use in regulating metabolic actions in cells.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
I think something like this happened in the first episode of Transformers Animated. It... didn't end well. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to prepare for the inevitable...
Aaaaaand you just reminded me of that episode. Sadly we do not have Prowl to save our asses like how he was able to save Sari's.

OT: Ah science, you both scare and astound me at the same time...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So what exactly did those nanites did to cocroaches here? i find nothing in the article, but i may be blind.....

Besides does this mean that these nanites are capable of surviving an nuclear blast? because cocroaches themselves are in fact the only animals of this scale that can survive nuclear fallout. tests were done with variuos ants and cocroaches and cocroaches shook off and went on their way 10 times the radiation that killed ants.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Nowhere Man said:
It makes sense. Once Skynet becomes self aware what better way to keep the remaining post nuclear survivors in line then with bad ass terminator roaches?
Oh god... I didn't realize. IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY.

In all actuality, I always get psyched when news like this happens. Always nice to see scientific development marching on... even if I really can't understand half of it or its future implications. :/

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
what? what the hell? isn't it bad enough they can survive nuclear fallout? Now we are making them into cyborgs with nanotech? Are we trying to hand the planet over to them?