Scientists Create Gun That Physically Stops You From Talking

swolf

May 3, 2010
Redlin5 said:

Because sometimes saying shut up isn't enough and plan B can lead to charges of assault.
I totally agree! The only questions now are "Where can I get one and how much does it cost?". Oh, and there is also the question of making this omnidirectional instead of just a cone or would that require multiple jammers? You know, for those times when you don't want ANYONE to talk to you (i.e. trying to concentrate on work or gaming, when you are hungover, etc).
Edit: I wonder about the reactions (or lack thereof) from young children or animals?
snagli said:
Punching someone in the throat works pretty well too, but I guess if you want to be all sciency about it...
There's a plan B for those who are stubborn enough to talk despite the effect of this gadget being used on them.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
" It may not seem like much, but it's enough to jumble up even the stoutest of would-be Ciceros."

Not poor Ciceroooooo!

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
This CAN work, I´f you´ve ever been on a Teamspeak session with some guy echoing your words back at you by not using PTT when using speakers, this can really disrupt your speech, and make you fail to think about what you were trying to say in the first place...it´s annoying as hell, and when someone does that to shut you up, it can and WILL work.

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
*golf clap*
Nice to see we have a brain trust going on in the exact opposite direction here. You guys should take some time and think about the consequences of using such violence on someone who is just overusing their yap.
See you after 25 years to life.
The point is that if you're willing to buy a gun of any variety to stifle someone's speech you've already committed to physical coercion. I don't see that one method is appreciably more acceptable than the other.

Regardless of whether those you quoted all share this perspective, I doubt any of them would brandish guns in conversation, so you needn't gloat at their inevitable incarceration.

Enslave_All_Elves

Mar 31, 2011
I hate devices like this. Scientists need to work on shit that is actually beneficial to mankind. This will either be a novelty or refined into a crowd control device.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I honestly thought it would be more of a type of gun that shoots specific waves at the vocal cords making them unable to vibrate.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Ralen-Sharr said:
and here I though it would use noise cancellation

hit their voice with the opposite soundwave and it cancels it out, while they can still talk, the sound won't make it to you, or it'll be significantly reduced
The problem is that in order to do that, it has to detect the sound and then create the destructive interference.

Sounds good, until you realize that in order to do that, the sound wave has to have already hit the device. That makes cancellation much more difficult.

On top of this, destructive interference doesn't work unless the waves are perfectly synced--which varies from point to point. If you're out of phase, you could end up with constructive interferance for certain tones instead, and because the 'silence zone' is based on points between the speaker and the silencer, and the frequency of the waves, it's simply not possible nor reliable as an all-round silencing mechanism.

This, however, works by confusing the speaker's vocal center of his brain, which isn't reliant on distance or location.