Scientists Create Monkey Borg, Nothing Can Go Wrong

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:
If experiences can be sent digitally then this means that experiences could be stored and re-experienced. There are huge commercial applications to this. Could be an entire new form of media too at some point. The brain-machine interface alone is major and as we begin to understand this technology we could eventually have the ability to import general information in addition to augmenting the brain directly to the point where it can query outside of itself without the use of the five senses like we do now.
That's pretty much the premise of the drug in the movie Strange Days. Pay people to wear a rig while they do things, then sell the recordings to people who want to experience them without the risk.

Lightknight said:
What's more is that this could lead to full personhood mapping as well as digital storing of a person (thoughts, personality, etc) and could eventually lead to human singularity with machines (hopefully they also figure out how to store data on our hormonal fluctuations which also make us who we are beyond the pure information stored in our minds).

If I were to leave my current field and devote my time to any scientific field at the moment, this would be it. The result could be a permanent end to mortality and human suffering.
Yep, it's pretty awesome in the potential for it. It could be used to improve un-manned exploration of this planet, probably not as useful beyond that though, due to the delay in communication over vast distances. This could lead to the real world application of Riggers from Shadowrun/Cyberpunk fame. It could help develop implants to let amputees control limbs by themselves. And I'm sure tons of other things that I just can't think of right now.

This is freaking awesome.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Great, now I'm going to wake up in a tub and have to go through fifteen hours fighting a zoo-keeper with a cage on his head and a large key ring just to get to Monkey-Ruvik.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I'm pretty sure this exactly how the Quarians fucked up with Geth and got themselves kick off their own planet, someone please explain to the scientist's we don't have a space armada to flee the plant in when they fuck up.

Second no transporter beam ever, at least not for people. That shit only work with values that believe in a soul, in real world when you break apart of consciousness and put it back together, you are effectively killing the original and making a new (identical) individual.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Hmmmm... 'Professor Monkeyborg-For-A-Head'? Hey, it's possible now! Bwa ha ha ha haaa!

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Sounds less like borg hive mind, more like drift compatability!

Bring on the Jaegers!

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Now make sure not to hook these things up to an external network. This is the first symptom of creating an emergent AI out of using existing, living consciousness. Where is Sarah Connor when we need her?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:
If experiences can be sent digitally then this means that experiences could be stored and re-experienced. There are huge commercial applications to this. Could be an entire new form of media too at some point. The brain-machine interface alone is major and as we begin to understand this technology we could eventually have the ability to import general information in addition to augmenting the brain directly to the point where it can query outside of itself without the use of the five senses like we do now.
That's pretty much the premise of the drug in the movie Strange Days. Pay people to wear a rig while they do things, then sell the recordings to people who want to experience them without the risk.

Lightknight said:
What's more is that this could lead to full personhood mapping as well as digital storing of a person (thoughts, personality, etc) and could eventually lead to human singularity with machines (hopefully they also figure out how to store data on our hormonal fluctuations which also make us who we are beyond the pure information stored in our minds).

If I were to leave my current field and devote my time to any scientific field at the moment, this would be it. The result could be a permanent end to mortality and human suffering.
Yep, it's pretty awesome in the potential for it. It could be used to improve un-manned exploration of this planet, probably not as useful beyond that though, due to the delay in communication over vast distances. This could lead to the real world application of Riggers from Shadowrun/Cyberpunk fame. It could help develop implants to let amputees control limbs by themselves. And I'm sure tons of other things that I just can't think of right now.

This is freaking awesome.
Yes, precisely and to echo your sentiment, "Awesome". *NERDFIVE*

I will point out those that we've already made fantastic progress with mind controlled artificial limbs. So even if this is years away we can still be quite happy that something like the following is already mind controlled:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2879662/Watch-incredible-moment-double-amputee-uses-TWO-mind-controlled-prosthetic-arms-time.html#v-3951237902001

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Lightknight said:

I will point out those that we've already made fantastic progress with mind controlled artificial limbs. So even if this is years away we can still be quite happy that something like the following is already mind controlled:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2879662/Watch-incredible-moment-double-amputee-uses-TWO-mind-controlled-prosthetic-arms-time.html#v-3951237902001
*returns the nerdfive*

Yeah, I'm familiar with some of the work in the brain/device research they've been working on for amputees, which is awesome. I think what I was trying to say, and didn't clarify well, was that this type of networked process, might help them improve the tech for single person use as well.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Lightknight said:

*returns the nerdfive*

Yeah, I'm familiar with some of the work in the brain/device research they've been working on for amputees, which is awesome. I think what I was trying to say, and didn't clarify well, was that this type of networked process, might help them improve the tech for single person use as well.
Right now they seem to have the best luck with mapping current existing muscle endings with the robotic limb. This new technology could result in a true mind controlled device.

For example, your body is mind controlled. You mind tells your nerves what to do and they pass the information along. You know that, I know. But my point is that these "mind controlled" prosthetics we currently have work the same way in most cases.

So this technology could take a much more advanced step away from that kind of mind control into true mind control where your brain waves are directing the device rather than your brain telling muscles to twitch which in turn control the hand.

So yeah, long story short, you're right.

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
We are the Borg, your technological and cuural uniqueness will be added to our own. Resistance is Ook!
We will add your banana distinctiveness to our own. Your tire swings will be adapted to serve us.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lightknight said:
So this technology could take a much more advanced step away from that kind of mind control into true mind control where your brain waves are directing the device rather than your brain telling muscles to twitch which in turn control the hand.
It is the ultimate form of gaming though isnt it. Mind-controlled virtual reality that directly pulls commands from brain and directly inserts the experience into the brain. no additional devices, motion trackers or any of that shit. play any game in any setting with your mind. im hyped.